OFFICIAL SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY PRAISE OR GRUMBLE THREAD - 2017-18

Let's see how much of a Blade Wilder really is if Everton come offering lots o' Toffees, £30,000 per week salary and player buying budget of £100 million (excluding Hirsty , of course).

He'll run there from Stocksbridge so fast a Jag couldn't catch him.

Sadly, can't believe his homeboy shtick 'll go down well in China , where their owners are from (unless he went there with Blades - and Hungary - to take over t' World).    

Edited by fred mciver

Last night's caller was spot on about our Academy and why we haven't produced more good young players like Blades.

Apart from lack of investment in past - John Stones said he'd still be on his Dad's Penistone pig farm if he'd chosen our youth set up -  Middlewoood's just not big enough to get top status.

Middlewood's about a couple of acres. Everton's new training ground , to compare , is over 20 acres.

We must find a new place and quick as will also put off start players when we get to EPL.

What about the old Norton aerodrome? 

Their academy set up has been better than ours for a while so it makes sense that the better young players in the area have chosen to go to them over us. 

I don’t pretend to know what kind of set up we have now but our Under-18s and Under-23s did pretty well last season so I expect we’re heading in the right direction with the academy.

On 6/10/2017 at 13:55, fred mciver said:

Last night's caller was spot on about our Academy and why we haven't produced more good young players like Blades.

Apart from lack of investment in past - John Stones said he'd still be on his Dad's Penistone pig farm if he'd chosen our youth set up -  Middlewoood's just not big enough to get top status.

Middlewood's about a couple of acres. Everton's new training ground , to compare , is over 20 acres.

We must find a new place and quick as will also put off start players when we get to EPL.

What about the old Norton aerodrome? 

Whats with Stones pig farm comment?  

Norton is a stupid idea, Blunt country

7 hours ago, Jon From Woodseats said:

Their academy set up has been better than ours for a while so it makes sense that the better young players in the area have chosen to go to them over us. 

I don’t pretend to know what kind of set up we have now but our Under-18s and Under-23s did pretty well last season so I expect we’re heading in the right direction with the academy.

Pretty much summed it up perfectly there Jon.

7 hours ago, bladeshater said:

The balance of power as changed over the last 3-4 years and we are starting to see the benefits 

I agree, I think what some people forget is we went from nowhere really to a very good development squad. Like you've said it's difficult to give them the first team opportunity at the moment.

On 06/10/2017 at 13:55, fred mciver said:

Probably the best place for him, considering the state of England's game at the moment