Grant Hanley

1 minute ago, MOwl said:

Gaston

Gaston_smirking.jpg

Didn't even cross my mind that was a possibility so cheers... I just assumed he was off injured somewhere

Is he actually any good? Could have sworn when he went to Southampton he was destined to be the next hot shít, and then he just disappeared off the face of the Earth for a few years. Lord knows. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Gaston_smirking.jpg

Didn't even cross my mind that was a possibility so cheers... I just assumed he was off injured somewhere

Is he actually any good? Could have sworn when he went to Southampton he was destined to be the next hot shít, and then he just disappeared off the face of the Earth for a few years. Lord knows. 

Plays for Middlesbrough and recently been linked with a move to Leicester for 10 million so can't see it

Never seen Hanley play as I pay absolutely zero attention to anyone but our team but my mate is a Newcastle season ticket holder and he says Hanley is 'a clogger'. Hopefully he's not and my mate just has high standards from supporting a quality team all these years. He's usually right though.

While we all ponder the merits of Hanley, Keogh and Morrison, let's remember, all three players have the attributes we definitely require, aerial ability, and leadership qualities All of them have similar limitations as well, but it's worth considering, Duffy had those same limitations when Brighton signed him. He wasn't even Blackburn's best centre back, Hanley was, and yet his signing was one of the main reasons Brighton went up

Apparently if you believe the papers Leicester are dropping interest in Ramirez

Still, I can't see him signing. On paper he'd be one of the best players in the division, but he's missed so much footie over the last few years for me it'd represent a huge risk. If he does come, it probably suggests FF will be gone too. As wide/forward players, we'd have: FF, Boyd, Wallace, Ramirez, Fletcher, Hooper, Winnall, Rhodes all vying for 4 positions. I know that CC has said he wants two players per position, but it'd be very difficult to keep all those happy, and one or two wouldn't even make the bench as we'd need to have defenders and CM's on hand. The squad is bloated enough without having 8 top end Championship players trying to compete for 4 positions... it'd represent fantastic strength in depth but I'm not sure if it makes the best financial sense or the best for squad unity

50 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

We need a clogger at centre half, and in midfield. Sign him up.

Agree with you there, I'd prefer us to have a wall in defence than a playmaker.

I know a lot of folk on here would like us to play out from the back and so have our midfield pushed higher up the field. But Leicester have shown you can be successful with two beasts in defence, and I don't see Carlos changing his defensive view any time soon.

So It's getting the rest of the team's balance right that's important. I.e. Some pace on the wings or up top to get the ball to so they can carry the ball up the field and away from defensive area more quickly and to our strikers. 

I'd be more than happy if Hanley was signed but seems we've moved onto other targets 

But Newcastle may subside his £45 k per week, either via a loan or a big loss on the  £4.5 million transfer fee they paid.

Plus fits in with our strategy of paying low transfer dosh , but high salaries  - except Rhodes , of course.

For Geordies, if we won't pay no one will so they'd be stuck with a very expensive non - squad player.