Staggering

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

For every hit, there was a miss. My biggest grumble...we've needed an Antonio ever since he left us. Still waiting for one...

That is damn true. Without Wallace we dont have one ball carrier and it desperately showed last night.

as soon as I saw the team selection I feared the worst ........ have defended carlos to the hilt but he got it wrong last night  and we only got  beat on pens .with the right selection and formation we would have been well capable of seeing hudders off by 2 or 3 goals ......a bad night for the bloke

40 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Well you go tell him that 

The attitude that we have a divine right to win these sort of games is one that holds no sway with me 

Huddersfield were in the game as of right like we were and last night was 2 evenly matched teams going for it and couldn't be divided except by 2 poor spot kicks it was a *** paper between us 

But of course ill probably be called " not a proper fan " because i can put Football in its proper context its a game. its a pastime no one died just the club we all follow lost a game 

Huddersfield were the better team and deserved it. My issue is not that we lost but that we went out with a whimper. Huddersfield are bang average and we set up as though we were playing Barca.

10 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

I've tried to see the positives from Reach but for 5mil or whatever it was up front that is an atrocious deal. Hes decent enough at LB but clueless on the wing. Think he was actually most effective at wing back at his past clubs.

For me he's simply not a winger. LB I can cope with but to be a winger you need to be able to put a good delivery in more often than not. 

His deliveries tend to be in the not very good catergory

42 minutes ago, Brommers said:

I agree about the lack of pace being an issue for us as an attacking unit. But to say our fullbacks couldn't cope, I didn't see Huddersfield making many clear chances. Thought we were good defensively last night just poor going forward.

Hunt did well I thought, but Pudil had a rough night. He was completely out on his feet at about the 70 minute mark.

36 minutes ago, northernerowl said:

So what did Brighton do when they were beaten by us in the semis?

Overturn every rock in the team, drop the manager, drop the squad???

Get some flipping perspective and calm down; yes, we need to review our season and squad and spend in the summer and also offload some that weren't needed, but no reckless changes, please.

Problem is we probably can't spend much now due to FFP and it will be hard to offload players given the high wages we play. It will be minor tweaks only I think.

7 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Abdi is, like Rhodes, something of a symbol of how maddeningly frustrating this season has been.

Promoted with Watford, their player of the season, played almost 30 matches in the Premiership for them. Comes here and does nowt. 

That we have produced such negative, tedious football for significant stretches of this season when we have attacking options including Forrestieri, Abdi, Fletcher, Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall is actually laughable. 

The more I think about this stuff the more I make my mind up about Carlos. I'm desperately intrigued to see what another manager would do with some of the players at his disposal. 

Have to agree, good points. Our lack of wingers is maddening frustrating too, McManaman one player with pace and not even on the bench.

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

There's no pace.. 

Literally zero, zilch. 

Tonight was crying out for someone to come on with a bit of pace, someone who can take a man on, beat a full back. 

Instead we got the same old tried and tested, side to side, side to side, hoof nonsense. 

One of the biggest points I've highlighted throughout the season.

our complete and utter lack of pace (as well as a midfield general and playing wingers that put balls in to the box)

but its worrying. Before we've been able to see games out booting it long for a pacy player to carry the ball up field and relieve a bit of pressure or to hound the opposition

since selling Antonio and to an extent, Helen leaving, we've had feck all pace. nothing. so cumbersome at times its laughable

People praising Hudders are missing the point. We have a squad (even with injuries) which was good enough to be able to take the game to them both home and away.  We didn't do that and instead we played negatively hoping to pinch something and hold it.  Hudders have a minus goal difference & didn't look threatening across both legs.  That approach has been the blueprint this season and let's be honest we've had some very poor performances as a result.  Whoever the manager is (and even I think CC has gone as far as he can) we simply need to change our attitude from let's not lose to we can beat anyone.  Let's bloody well USE the talent we already have. 

Agree with OP It is remarkable that if Gary (send him back tonight) Hooper had been fit the team would have been EXACTLY the same as last years second half second leg semi and final side. Carlos was always going to play Fessi cos of he puts in a shift against 4 man midfields and his record against Udds is excellent.

Now let's be reyt, that is not a bad team - they didn't lose to Hudds in 4 matches - but it doesn't have a lot of pace and when Wallace isn't playing, we haven't got anyone who can guarantee a good cross.

difficult to defend the recruitment committee on this one. You'd have to wonder how the club will

keep 6 out and out strikers happy (GH SF JR SW AN LJ) when only one gets played

in the big games. And that's without counting George Hirst! 

9 hours ago, vulva said:

That the side side tonight was exactly the one that lost against Hull, other than Fletcher, in place of an injured Hooper. 

Our recruitment in the summer was horrific. 

I agree with your sentiments but...

Abdi, Rhodes, Winnall, McManaman...  I would be willing to bet that under a manager like Wagner or Jokanovic these guys would have been sensational for us this year.

The treatment of Abdi Macca and Winnall was quite frankly shocking for the most part.  Completely wasted.

8 hours ago, dan27 said:

What are your views on Moyes?

Do you want him to go?

I don't think he's done a very good job but I recognise that his hands were tied to a certain extent because of the state we are in off the pitch. 

This relegation has been coming for years and it is more the owner's fault than Moyes'.

2 hours ago, Owl_in_Oz said:

I agree with your sentiments but...

Abdi, Rhodes, Winnall, McManaman...  I would be willing to bet that under a manager like Wagner or Jokanovic these guys would have been sensational for us this year.

The treatment of Abdi Macca and Winnall was quite frankly shocking for the most part.  Completely wasted.

Not sure about Winall but Im with you that the other 3 should be great assets if used properly in this division. The Abdi situation was comical from minute one. We need a new manager who can use these players effectively, as I doubt we'll offload many without a hefty loss.

Just checked, and we have signed 13 players (either loans or permanent) since last May, 12 if you ignore Pudil who was on loan. Probably around £25m in transfer fees. Dread to think what the wages are. 

Only Fletcher played, and it's doubtful he would have if Hooper was fit. 

7 hours ago, fatzooma said:

So....the visit and neg but don't have anything to say crew are in force.

Forgive me for thinking that before last night, folk were saying he needs dropping?

im not saying he isn't a good footballer and he might have played well last night (albeit in a losing side)...but come on, Lee, Bannan and Sam Hutchinson will never get us out of this league.

I totally agree that we need better options, but I can only judge on what happened last night and Bannan was the stand out player!

Vulva,

Excellent points and debate but the biggest question is who really is responsible for this.

Looking at teams Carlos has put out, plus last night's players and after -match comments and him talking about wht we failes to get in a new centre half, inference must be that he's had limited say on recruitment. 

We 've no idea who is on this Commitee that sanctions buying players , nor influence  of agents in all this.

And with role of Rhodes' dad, you gotta wonder if there's been a serious split in the coaching staff.

No doubt all will be revealed but we surely now have to do more for Rhodes who thrives with a big target man (Gestede) and winger who can cross (Marshall).  

9 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Vulva,

Excellent points and debate but the biggest question is who really is responsible for this.

Looking at teams Carlos has put out, plus last night's players and after -match comments and him talking about wht we failes to get in a new centre half, inference must be that he's had limited say on recruitment. 

We 've no idea who is on this Commitee that sanctions buying players , nor influence  of agents in all this.

And with role of Rhodes' dad, you gotta wonder if there's been a serious split in the coaching staff.

No doubt all will be revealed but we surely now have to do more for Rhodes who thrives with a big target man (Gestede) and winger who can cross (Marshall).  

In what way? He's the goalkeeping coach...you know the one who wanted Westwood to come here