Advantage Wednesday

Curiously, history is against us, as far as the playoffs in our division are concerned. It turns out that there have been 10 ties between the 2nd (us) and 3rd (Huddersfield) ranked teams that have ended all square after the first leg, of which the team ranked 3rd has gone on to win 7. Of the 3 wins by the 2nd-ranked team, QPR beat Wigan in extra time in 2014 after trailing for an hour and Leicester beat Tranmere in 1994 with an 86th-minute winner. The only easy win by the 2nd-ranked team in our situation was Leicester's 5-0 win against Cambridge in 1992.

If, at the beginning of the season, we'd have been offered two hours to beat Udders at Hillsborough to get to the Play Off Final, I'd have taken it. Great opportunity. Let's face it, if we don't do it, we've only ourselves to blame.

Although Carlos definitely opted to be cautious, that game didn't go to plan.

We were poor in possession and need to up our game on Wednesday.  If fit, Hutch is a must, need his confidence and voice in the middle of the park.  He was the only outfield player who performed at peak at Wembley, I'm a bit worried about nerves playing a part to our detriment.

3 minutes ago, fife_owl said:

We were poor in possession and need to up our game on Wednesday.  If fit, Hutch is a must, need his confidence and voice in the middle of the park.  He was the only outfield player who performed at peak at Wembley, I'm a bit worried about nerves playing a part to our detriment.

They will target Sam to get sent off

23 minutes ago, fife_owl said:

Tend to agree with this, I understand what we were trying to do but I expected more from players of the ability we have, as you say we were poor in possession (when we actually had any), I do think (hope) it was just one of those days when nothing fell for us and our team had an off day - better for that to happen in the first leg of the semi than later on.

Things can only get better!

1 hour ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Guarantee this will happen if we are still goalless after about 60 mins or so.

Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, the pressure is on us Wednesday evening.

Huddersfield have nothing to lose.

I disagree. We've both got a place at Wembley for a place in the Premiership to lose. If we had drawn Huddersfield at home in the League Cup where there is no replay, we'd be ecstatic. What's the difference?

4 hours ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I disagree. We've both got a place at Wembley for a place in the Premiership to lose. If we had drawn Huddersfield at home in the League Cup where there is no replay, we'd be ecstatic. What's the difference?

We do, but they probably feel they blew it at home so pressure is eased ..we have to do this at home and stop them winning.

imo we are under more pressure and need an early goal. If we get off to a slow start it  could be a long difficult evening.

We set up to defend on Sunday and just one of those days when the counter attack misfired - I wasn't overly concerned by this.

At home will be a more offensive set up, Udds will not want to concede early and likely to sit a bit deeper themselves.

This will allow us to take the game to them more.

Atmosphere we generate will play a massive part, lets have the Udds papping themselves before a ball has been kicked.

If we get an early goal I can see it being one of those special nights.

lol