Is McGugan the answer?

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

With the injuries to Lee and now Abdi, could McGugan provide that bit of quality and creative spark that we seem to be lacking in midfield? This could be either as part of a three or, as Hutchinson's partner in a two man central midfield.

At least unlike Bannan at the moment Mcgugan can keep a central position - therefore being an option for a pass for our poor defenders, who look up for a pass only to see Bannan on the wing and the other midfielder holding their hands.

Edited by RocketOwl

I can't believe the number of people who keep bringing McGugan up as an option.

Yes he has quality on the ball but you need a lot more than that. To me he obviously has a poor attitude and when he did play for us he was never prepared to work hard enough.

If he was as good as some of you think then why on earth has another club not snapped him up?

It's a pity that for whatever reason he is not available for selection.

A big issue with Wednesday this season is the midfield playing too deep and not giving the attacking enough support.  Other than Kieran Lee, the only other central midfielder in the squad who has the natural inclincation to push up the pitch quickly and move into the opposition penalty area is McGugan.  He'd be an extremely useful option to have right now, even if it just from the subs bench.

2 hours ago, steveger said:

Thing is if he had done something "serious" then he would have been sacked for gross whatever by the club, that screams of he's opened his big mouth and said what he thought and paid for it by being cast out...... just a wild guess by the way, i'm like Jon Snow, i know nothing....:biggrin:

Must have been something bad to be cast aside and made to train with the u10`s . 

Must have shagged Carlos`s missus or summat 

Edited by S36 OWL

We go on a bad run and McGugan gets mentioned. Seriously? He was marginally better that what we had under Gray and even then he was very inconsistent. While we all know Carlos is stubborn, he's not stupid and if he loves the club as much as he says he does, McGugan would have featured earlier in the season. When is this so called bust up meant to have happened anyway? McGugan has history or being lazy and a bit of a trouble causer (we were warned on here by Forest and Watford fans) and now he's been pushed out of the team he's more than happy to turn up to training, do his bit, get his wages and go home. 

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

McGugan was our best midfielder when he was here on loan , but we have since signed Bannan ,Abdi , Forestieri , Reach , Jones which leaves him way down the pecking order  in my opinion. 

And have all produced very little all season. The only midfielders who can come out with any credit so far this season are hutchinson and lee. 

Listen, if McGugan was half the player people though he was he would be in the team if his attitude was even half decent.

Abdi was frozen out and forced his way back into contention, Carlos even publicly praised his change in attitude right be before reintroducing him to the side (I happen to think that was a mistake and a catalyst for us going on this bad run. Abdi is a very talented player but I don't believe he's right for our side and how we get our best results).

McGugan could have forced his way in if he wanted to, he has had trouble everywhere he's played, though yes he has the ability to be of some use if he's not willing to earn his place and sacrifice his personal preferences to serve the greater good he can rot for me.

Not the most consistent but we've not really seen any consistency this season.

Maybe a bit "lazy" but you need water carriers and water drinkers lol.

Not every player is everything in the championship.

On his day, the sort of player we've been missing.

Probably too late now for him but he was too good a player to completey disregard.

Mcgugan gets on with all the players bar 1 I won't name him . Carlos has made mcgugan an outcast , we have him till July 2019 on 16k a wk doing nothing. Like said already he would have been sacked if he did something very wrong, and I know he ain't .got that off a good source. But no1 knows what Carlos thinks only him. To me barnsley game is a huge huge game ,a shocking performance and atmosphere will turn toxic. Then I wonder if mcgugan will get his chance? But like said Carlos has made him so Un match fit.didnt even get a u23 game yest when half u23 side were not avaliable 

6 hours ago, FuthaMucker said:

We go on a bad run and McGugan gets mentioned. Seriously? He was marginally better that what we had under Gray and even then he was very inconsistent. While we all know Carlos is stubborn, he's not stupid and if he loves the club as much as he says he does, McGugan would have featured earlier in the season. When is this so called bust up meant to have happened anyway? McGugan has history or being lazy and a bit of a trouble causer (we were warned on here by Forest and Watford fans) and now he's been pushed out of the team he's more than happy to turn up to training, do his bit, get his wages and go home. 

I thought he looked quality whenever I saw him play. The "bust up" happened shortly after we signed him on a permanent deal when Carlos wanted home to play the no ten role. McGugan said he couldn't play there and we've barely seen him since and not at all this season.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Heffernan syndrome is in full effect here!

McGugan's gone from being a lazy git who allows opposition players to run past him without the merest hint of a challenge or tracking back, to being the Long Eaton Zidane...simply by not playing.

He doesn't have to be Zidane he only has to offer something more than Jones and/or Bannan.

6 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

McGugan was our best midfielder when he was here on loan , but we have since signed Bannan ,Abdi , Forestieri , Reach , Jones which leaves him way down the pecking order  in my opinion. 

Forestieri plays up front or out wide and Reach wide left or full back, Abdi is injured which leaves just Bannan and Jones. And from what I have seen I would choose him above those two as a partner for Hutch or alongside one of them and Hutch in a three man Central midfield.

8 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

He doesn't have to be Zidane he only has to offer something more than Jones and/or Bannan.

Ultimately, I don't think Carlos trusts McGugan to go out on to the pitch and do what he's been asked to do. Whether that's because of something that's gone off behind the scenes or is based purely on his performances under Carlos, I don't know.

There was a home game last season where Lee, who had already run his blood to water for most of the game, was shifted out to the right to bring McGugan on in the centre of the park. After a few opposition attacks where they just breezed past a static McGugan as if he weren't there, we ended up swapping Lee back into the centre and sticking McGugan out on the wing.

He's a very talented player, but if he's not willing to put in a shift for the team, then he'll struggle to get a game.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem