IS CARLOS WORTH KEEPING?

Keep or sack Carlos?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Has Carlos got another season in him?

• Sack
    • Keep

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm becoming his biggest critic.

He's started to infuriate me with his team selections, pig headedness continuing to play a system that limits everything we're good at and his bizarre press conferences. 

His recruitment has been an absolute car crash this season. And what makes it all the more infuriating, is, a lot of sensible Wednesdayite's could see all of this coming before it actually arrived.

HOWEVER... I'd keep him for the time until the end of season at least. Last season, he treated us to the best football we've seen at Hillsborough since the 90's. He was tactically superb throughout the majority of last season, and he got a lot out of the players at his disposal. 

So there's no doubts he's got the ability to turn it around. And I think he deserves a last chance to do that.

But, if it continues in the vein it has done throughout this season, and the performances continue to be stagnant and confused, and the stubbornness continues, at the end of the season, having missed out on promotion, I'd shake hands and part with his services. The fact he's spent over £25m on players, an amount of money this club hasn't spent throughout it's history, and performances deteriorated, would be more than justification. 

I really hope he has an epiphany, and sorts it out (I thought he had had one after the Norwich game, but that was clearly an anomaly outside the trend). Regardless what happens between now and May...he deserves to see this season out, based on last season's achievements.

I often wonder whether the keep  Carlos brigade have been to the matches at Hillsborough this season and whether they're living off the euphoria of getting to the play off final. In the main we have been dire with no change in tactics which has meant opposition teams know exactly what to do against us. Reading last Friday controlled the game for 80 minutes apart from our late flurry. We have been lucky in many of our games, against bottom of the league Rotherham being a good example. We have invested heavily in strikers but with our current tactics can't give them any service. Carlos seems stuck in a rut and is either incapable or unwilling to change things. I say thanks for the memories Carlos last year was fantastic but given the investment you have had you have fallen well short of expectations this season. 

On 18/03/2017 at 19:17, Owlstalk News said:

Although he has taken Wednesday to the playoffs and is seemingly a good fit for Wednesday overall is it worth keeping him around, recently he's dropping the ball, especially with Reading.. Do we keep him?

Do yourself a favour.

Stop writing tripe like this if you wish to keep your followers.

15 minutes ago, S6 Lifelong Owl said:

I often wonder whether the keep  Carlos brigade have been to the matches at Hillsborough this season and whether they're living off the euphoria of getting to the play off final. In the main we have been dire with no change in tactics which has meant opposition teams know exactly what to do against us. Reading last Friday controlled the game for 80 minutes apart from our late flurry. We have been lucky in many of our games, against bottom of the league Rotherham being a good example. We have invested heavily in strikers but with our current tactics can't give them any service. Carlos seems stuck in a rut and is either incapable or unwilling to change things. I say thanks for the memories Carlos last year was fantastic but given the investment you have had you have fallen well short of expectations this season. 

Absolutely spot on. In general, performances (not results) have been dire this season.

2 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

For me it's simple given promotion is the stated aim.

If you think we are going up then fine, why would you want to change the manager? I can also understand people that don't think we will go up therefore want to change because they don't want failure.

It's the people that don't think we will go up but are happy with failure I don't understand. 

There's a bigger picture though, isn't there.

Personally, I don't see Carlos' job been reliant on promotion. To me, giving him another go because he's got us in the playoffs, isn't right either. Deciding a manager's future based on one position, seems illogical.

It's about what you think he can produce in the future.

He was absolutely brilliant last season. This season he's been a car crash for the majority of the season (with the odd bit of encouragement that's he's not totally lost his way, namely Newcastle A, Huddersfield A and Norwich at H). I'm willing to give him til the end of the season to show whether he's got what it takes to guide us to promotion in the future. He may well still achieve it this season.

If we continue to play the way we have been doing, stumble into the playoffs and then bow out in the same god awful way we've been playing throughout the season, he goes for me. Equally, if he realises his mistakes, finds a way to get the best out of his players, and performances improve...regardless of where we finish, I'd be inclined to give him another season. 

It doesn't need to be boom or bust this season.

I can't see the sense of sacking a manager who took us to brink of the premier league in his first season and has us in 6th with 8 games to go.

2 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Good post.

I agree that one position is illogical but if the aim is promotion, the aim is promotion. You can't fail to achieve your goals without any sign that anything is improving and expect another try. Would you trust CC with another transfer window and a budget?

As it stands...no.

However, I believe that the squad is all but there. They just need a system, a formula, a philosophy that brings the best out of them.

Carlos hasn't found it yet, and he hasn't got long left. BUT, if he starts to show signs in the last 8 games, that he can piece things together, then I might be inclined to give him another go. 

10 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

And that's the problem for me, the scatter gun approach to recruitment is a shambles. We shouldn't be 8 games from the end of the season and still be looking for a 'formula' should we?

"Starts to show signs".....mate there are 8 games (plus hopefully playoffs to go) the time for showing sings has long gone.

Again, I tend to agree...and if it wasn't for last season, I'd have very little time for him.

But last season, I truly believe he was the best coach in the league. Tactically we were sublime throughout the majority of the season. We did to team what Reading did to us...set traps, and exploited them. We massively overachieved, but feel just short. I thought we'd got someone potentially very special. I can remember writing several posts wax lyrical about our "philosophy" and style of play. It's an area of football I'm very interested in, and you've no idea how disappointed I've been with this years tactical shambles. 

For me, he's changed his whole philosophy based on one game, the playoff final. He decided we needed to have more steel, more stability, and it's been to our detriment. That's been his mistake, and his stubbornness has allowed it to go on, for far too long.

But I've not forgotten last season, and I think it's important, as fans, we don't forget it.

He's not a bad coach or manager...he's just lost his way. Some managers go through these phases, but not many get the chance to rectify it. 

I think when managers start taking about "fighting to the end" and "eight cup finals", it doesn't look good. It's the sort of rhetoric used by managers who're fighting relegation. Carlos cuts a sorry figure these days, and doubtless he knows his time has come, be it now or in the summer.

Keep him until the end of the season and then reassess. 

This season has been very frustrating, bar a few stand out performances. Our inability to kick on has become painfully predictable.