Bannan

7 hours ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

needs a full day just practicing shooting.

I've seen some rubbish midfielders in my nearly 30 years of watching Wednesday but bannan has to be up there with being the worst at shooting.

one point tonight we was on the counter ..fernando clean through to right and players in the box.bannan decides to take a shot and I've seen more accuracy from nuhiu.

no attacking threat what so ever

Yes, that was so frustrating. BB was good last season, but has faded this season. His shooting is pretty awful, but he is all too easy to out-muscle. We virtually gave up the midfield last night after Sasso's first goal.

Shooting has always been woeful however it's the delay in releasing a pass that infuriates me more. The fessi offside goal was too late and on a number of other occasions he held onto the ball 10 seconds longer than he needed to letting Blackburn get back and read the next pass

Hes a good player.

He has dips in form like anyone else. 

His energy is vital in midfield though, Abdi does not have the same workrate and if hes in a 2 man midfield with Hutch, we would struggle against the teams who play with 3 in the centre.

Bannan get some shocking levels of stick on here. He's not perfect and can improve but he's one of the better midfielders we've had here in the last 16-17 years.

Thing is, he can't do it on his own. He played most of the last two games entirely isolated in midfield with absolutely no one around him. I don't care who you are you can't hold a central midfield on your own. The team sheet may say Hutch plays alongside him but CC sticks Hutch just in front of the back 4. Bannan is missing a trustworthy player alongside him (like Lee). It was only when we got FF on last night that he started playing a few of the nice short passes that we saw all last season. Abdi & Bannan need game time together in the centre of midfield. Abdi is a very good player who everyone will love when he finally gets a run of games. Ask any Watford fan.

If anything it's tactics that are costing us at the minute. For the first time in recent memory it's our quality of players that's dragging us through these poor games.

22 minutes ago, Stringy said:

Bannan get some shocking levels of stick on here. He's not perfect and can improve but he's one of the better midfielders we've had here in the last 16-17 years.

Thing is, he can't do it on his own. He played most of the last two games entirely isolated in midfield with absolutely no one around him. I don't care who you are you can't hold a central midfield on your own. The team sheet may say Hutch plays alongside him but CC sticks Hutch just in front of the back 4. Bannan is missing a trustworthy player alongside him (like Lee). It was only when we got FF on last night that he started playing a few of the nice short passes that we saw all last season. Abdi & Bannan need game time together in the centre of midfield. Abdi is a very good player who everyone will love when he finally gets a run of games. Ask any Watford fan.

If anything it's tactics that are costing us at the minute. For the first time in recent memory it's our quality of players that's dragging us through these poor games.

I'm not convinced about this. With the full backs pushing on, Hutch creates a back 3 with the CB's. Reach and Wallace are coming inside all the time as they have support from the FB's. 

What the effect of Wallace, in particular, coming inside is a whole different debate as he regularly leaves Hunt exposed and at times, takes away the space others have created when we are attacking....example last night, we get a quick break, FF has a one on one with the last defender but Wallace takes his defender towards FF completely ruining a great position.

For me, I would rest Bannan. he is clearly struggling and has not been anywhere near last season's standard for much of this season....although in fairness, he isn't on his own in that respect.

32 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I'm not convinced about this. With the full backs pushing on, Hutch creates a back 3 with the CB's. Reach and Wallace are coming inside all the time as they have support from the FB's. 

What the effect of Wallace, in particular, coming inside is a whole different debate as he regularly leaves Hunt exposed and at times, takes away the space others have created when we are attacking....example last night, we get a quick break, FF has a one on one with the last defender but Wallace takes his defender towards FF completely ruining a great position.

For me, I would rest Bannan. he is clearly struggling and has not been anywhere near last season's standard for much of this season....although in fairness, he isn't on his own in that respect.

I agree Wallace definitely comes inside a lot but Bannan is certainly isolated a lot more than when he had a true partner in Lee. I'm sure Bannan could benefit from a rest just to try something different, no issues there. I'm just a bit irked at the level of criticism he gets from some fans because he's not at last season's level. I don't think he's the reason we aren't having much midfield control.

1 hour ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Class player usually but judging by last night's "performance" he could use a rest.

We've got another player who might just fill his boots and more....Abdi, anyone?

Is he a 'class player' usually?

When has he shown that this season?

If we are to improve, he needs to drop out of the team in my opinion.

32 minutes ago, Stringy said:

I agree Wallace definitely comes inside a lot but Bannan is certainly isolated a lot more than when he had a true partner in Lee. I'm sure Bannan could benefit from a rest just to try something different, no issues there. I'm just a bit irked at the level of criticism he gets from some fans because he's not at last season's level. I don't think he's the reason we aren't having much midfield control.

There are also numerous times though that Bannan chases out of position, leaving a massive gaping hole behind him, which they pass round and expose. 

We get overrun with Bannan in a CM 2, whether against 2 or 3 man CM, because against more physical opponents he has to drop deeper to get on the ball and can get dragged out.

Its nothing personal against Bannan, i think hes a terrific footballer and would probably flourish in another system. Just not in a 2.  

What I don't understand is that he has all the composure in the world on the ball, great first touch, good passing range and doesn't panic when put under pressure. 

Then put put him in a decent shooting position and the majority of the time it's like watching a bad Sunday league player. I can understand if shots are rushed and chances can be snatched at and it's a different kind of composure to finish, but even when he has time it's like his technique goes out the window. 

The he ability he has and technique striking the ball should mean he scores plenty more goals, or at least looks threatening shooting. We also have plenty of forwards who do the right thing and will follow up every shot and score from rebounds. It ain't hard to hit the target

3 hours ago, BIG D said:

Even though he was outstanding and made the PFA team of the year?

He was indeed very good for us last season .. but the hype stems from not having a decent central midfield for ages - someone comes in and plays well, then we hype them up big time which i believe we have with Bannan.

In reality, looking at his contribution in terms of assists and goals, last season 2 assists, 2 goals, this season 1 goal, 6 assists.

I'm not saying he's garbage or what not, i said he was a good player. Me personally just think he needs a rest and Abdi given a run out to see what he's capable of.

Might give him the kick up the backside he needs to step it up a level and improve on current complacency