Will you be upset if we don't go up this year?

I'll probably get negged for this but bear with me.

I personally won't be too bothered if we don't go up this season.  Why?  Because the last two seasons have been the best as an Owl since the bloody 90s.  

We've just signed Rhodes and we're two or three more quality signings away from dominating this league and going up as Champions.

So if i had to choose next year between seeing us win 30 league games and being Champions as Rhodes & Winnall bang in 40 goals between them, with a team loaded with British players that are so passionate about the club 

Vs

Watching us fight tooth and nail to win 10 games to stay up and getting battered 3 or 4 nil by the likes of Man City; while half a dozen foreigners who dont give a bobbar about the club come in, collect a massive wage and replace the likes of Lee, Bannan, Winnall, and so on...

Let's just say I won't be upset if we experience the first option.  Being a fan of a team that isn't one of the big 6 is a bit of an existential crisis at times.  Realistically we'll very rarely challenge for silverware so really we're in it for something else. 

Yes I want us to go up as it's a massive financial boost.  But I won't be bothered if it's two years away and we get to experience another awesome season in the Championship.   We finally just got Rhodes so I'd hate to see him warm a bench if we go up after only 6 months.

Does anyone else think about this?  Or am I bonkers?

I'm always disappointed when Wednesday don't succeed, but as I've just said in another thread, I genuinely feel that we're transitioning from being a very good Championship team to being a truly top-notch Championship team.

Teams aren't letting us play like they did last season, and we've had a period of learning how to adapt to this new reality. Our January signings, Rhodes in particular, have made us look much more efficient, which is the mark of a top team, especially when you consider that many opponents will continue to set up to stifle us first and foremost.

If we don't go up this year, then hopefully we'll have a battle-hardened team ready to hit their stride and compete at the top of the league from the off next season.

Promotion asap. Big pond - bigger potential rewards. It can all fall apart in a hurry and there are no guarantees we would be a contender next season in another strong Championship. Even one year in the Premiership would fund a very strong side for the Championship if we were relegated.

I won't be upset.

What will upset me is if we don't have a right crack at it.

Best squad in my 38 years of watching us, and if we gave up with a whimper, or fell over due to playing defensive keep ball, I'd be fuming.

Lets go for it Carlos. We have the squad, we have the fans, we have the chairman. All we need is the tactics. 

No pressure.

Nah, I quite like winning games and bouncing around at the top of the league.

Nothing more depressing than getting promoted and trying to emulate stoke.

In all seriousness I'm ok either way. It's just nice to have a squad, team and fanbase to be proud of after so many years of rubbish. I'm just enjoying that whatever.

I will be upset yes. 

My main concern is that after 3 or 4 attempts Chansiri starts to doubt it is possible and withdraws this level of financial support. At the moment he probably thinks the chances are proportional to investment, but that really only gets you top 8. Top 2 is secret sauce stuff and the relegated clubs from the PL are getting more and more money. This year we are so lucky that 2 of the relegated PL clubs are bobbar. 

He will not finance 10 years of attempts I'm sure of it so we need to grasp every chance. 

Guest BULGARIA
18 minutes ago, Owl_in_Oz said:

I personally won't be too bothered if we don't go up this season.  Why?  Because the last two seasons have been the best as an Owl since the bloody 90s.  

We've just signed Rhodes and we're two or three more quality signings away from dominating this league and going up as Champions.

So if i had to choose next year between seeing us win 30 league games and being Champions as Rhodes & Winnall bang in 40 goals between them, with a team loaded with British players that are so passionate about the club 

Vs

Watching us fight tooth and nail to win 10 games to stay up and getting battered 3 or 4 nil by the likes of Man City; while half a dozen foreigners who dont give a bobbar about the club come in, collect a massive wage and replace the likes of Lee, Bannan, Winnall, and so on...

Let's just say I won't be upset if we experience the first option.  Being a fan of a team that isn't one of the big 6 is a bit of an existential crisis at times.  Realistically we'll very rarely challenge for silverware so really we're in it for something else. 

Yes I want us to go up as it's a massive financial boost.  But I won't be bothered if it's two years away and we get to experience another awesome season in the Championship.   We finally just got Rhodes so I'd hate to see him warm a bench if we go up after only 6 months.

your not bonkers at all.

Most of my friends think the same, however we are all at an age where we have seen the owls in the prem, and it was not all that great for most of the time. I can totally understand the younger generation of fans wanting us to go up asap though.

7 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

I won't be upset.

What will upset me is if we don't have a right crack at it.

Best squad in my 38 years of watching us, and if we gave up with a whimper, or fell over due to playing defensive keep ball, I'd be fuming.

Lets go for it Carlos. We have the squad, we have the fans, we have the chairman. All we need is the tactics. 

No pressure.

Really?

Who from the current team would get in the starting XI from the early 90's or mid 80's?

22 minutes ago, Owl_in_Oz said:

Vs

There is a scenario C.

We don't go up.

we don't go up next year either.

chansiri gets fed up and we have another two cr4p decades.

22 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So basically you want to stay in the championship for the rest of our existence for fear of a thrashing in the premier league.

No of course not.  

But if we don't go up this year and instead we get to watch Rhodes bang in 30 goals next season in leading us to auto promotion then I'd be comfortable with that.

The issue is the Scenario C hirstwhoscoredit mentioned.  That's the risk. 

It's not like I'll be cheering against us getting promoted!  Ideally we get to beat Leeds in the play off final then I can just about die happy. 

Being 'upset' or not was probably the wrong way to put it.  I guess I'm just saying that it's far from the end of the world if we don't go up THIS YEAR, as another season perhaps being the top dog in the chanpionship would bring me just as much joy.

Edited by Owl_in_Oz