Memories of Chris Woods at Sheffield Wednesday

36 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

And you wonder why Neil don't want you on here?

Shitcunt.

Haha that's not what I said is it???

Many a time on planet football I have would stick up for woods

I only called you a bell end for commenting on something you admit you know nothing about

Hence I don't know much about Gerry young but I know of him, as he is infamous ala woods 20th may 93, but woods era I know about

Oh BTW did I say Neil doesn't want me on here..... I said he wouldnt reset my password....

What's up are you His best mate or summat...

Didn't need to sign him at time.

a very good keeper - unfortunately nallsed up in high profile Derby matches and an fa cup final.

decent for us overall but prob least to mention out of the early 90s side.

42 minutes ago, Ian said:

Cost us the cup final in 93

cost us at least 2 games v United

never came off his line

had a blanket over his legs when sub v Hartlepool

you can make your own mind up what I thought of him....but as a little clue he'd be the keeper in my all time xxxxx Wednesday XI in which Nuhiu would be the centre forward

Ian come on

Don't ever put woods in the same team as your nemesis nuihi

When we've had Clarke, tidman, and that Liverpool goalkeeper represent us brad summat

He isn't close to that class....

38 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I was in my 20's when Woods signed so I remember very well. He was pants numerous times. 

Your excuse because he played poorly against united & Cup final is just that, he had a clanger in many a game. He was a waste of money 

I was talking to Luke's a woman tbf when I posted that. I wasn't a pressman fan,but we all have different opinions mate

That's what makes football the sport it is 

6 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

I was talking to Luke's a woman tbf when I posted that. I wasn't a pressman fan,but we all have different opinions mate

That's what makes football the sport it is 

Your hard ain't ya.

I made a post based on my opinion of viewing your boyfriend's wednesday career as a young kid, it was kinda tongue in cheek.

But you crack on with the insults.

If you wish to take it further feel free to PM me.

36 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:
7 hours ago, aeroswfc said:

Chris Woods Wednesday legend

Chris Woods Wednesday record

Apps: 133

Clean Sheets: 38

Goals conceded: 163

Cup Finals lost 1

Make that 2. He also played in the league cup final for us.

16 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

Your hard ain't ya.

I made a post based on my opinion of viewing your boyfriend's wednesday career as a young kid, it was kinda tongue in cheek.

But you crack on with the insults.

If you wish to take it further feel free to PM me.

Haha so you're wanting to fight now as you've asked me to pm  you to take it further

I take it all back now, I'm sorry that I've 

Upset you. I didn't think it'd get to this. I have never had a fight in my life and don't want to over a comment on the net 

Edited by MBMitchell

Don't think he was as bad as my memory serves me. Unfortunately goalkeepers tend to get remembered most for their mistakes. Like most people remember David Seaman's mistakes or his trouble with long shots but he was a top class keeper. Same goes for quite a few England keepers that made memorable mistakes but were generally good keepers, like the likes of David James, etc.

Chris Woods had a good career before he even joined us, he seemed a steady keeper that stayed on his line and his strength was his shot stopping. He made some top class saves but also made some unfortunate mistakes. I can remember him in a Cup game against Derby making some decent saves but unfortunately one shot cannoned in off of him after hitting the bar.

I think Pressman was the better all round keeper but Woods wasn't as bad as his high profile mistakes made him seem. If I remember rightly we were quite attacking back in those days and our defence got exposed many times, even in games we memorably won or drew I can remember our keeper's, or the likes of Nilsson, Pearson or Walker, etc having to rescue us many times. However we tend to remember the mistakes or the wonder goals and bits of magic, rather than the saves, tackles or determination, etc.

3 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

Absolutely mmm

As I said earlier we remember a goalkeeper's faults like young wildsmith the other week. Doesn't matter what he did before or after, that's what's remembered

Aye, true but in a way it's similar to how we unfairly remember Trevor Francis as manager too. We can only dream now of the success and the football we played, and the top class players we had back then. Instead of the magical football Trevor's team played, the title challenges; European football and Cup run's, he's mostly remembered for the near misses and for dismantling that great side.

The thing is, people always say keepers are judged and remembered for their mistakes.

And while true to an extent..... I still hold Hodge in high regard and as a good, solid and extremely brave keeper, even with the Ogrizovich bounce and the Winterburn nutmeg.

Which means that somewhere in there he must have been doing something right that -that is not all I remember him for. 

10 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Aye, true but in a way it's similar to how we unfairly remember Trevor Francis as manager too. We can only dream now of the success and the football we played, and the top class players we had back then. Instead of the magical football Trevor's team played, the title challenges; European football and Cup run's, he's mostly remembered for the near misses and for dismantling that great side.

Yeah I agree but with avfteb and that and mole stories and his qpr reputation, I was one if the thousands singing eff off to sampdoria

Not knowing what the future held

Hindsight is a great tool and weapon, but unfortunately at the time we don't have those...