Defence

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

the way carlos sets us is designed not to concede goals and not just down to the back 4 and keeper ....hutch protects them ,bannan plays deep ,Wallace and reach do there share of tracking back with FF  and fletch doing a lot of chasing  up top ........its a good system

I truly think that Carlos has adapted our free flowing, forward thinking methodology to one that is if you don't concede you don't lose. 

As as you say that means it's the whole team to thank not just the defenders or keeper. 

It it certainly seems to be churning out more points than when we were all out attack! It's a shame he / the team get boo'd when there are few chances though. 

Chansiri said he'd do what it takes, this may be what it takes. I'm sure we can be more creative too, but consider the facts of injuries and suspensions I last 8-10 games the results and point hauls have been sensational.

Pudil took loads of flack off the kop cretins during the first half but his positional play isn't his choice. How we play leaves him open to a ball over his head into the corner. The minute we're in possession, we have a back 3. Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson. Pudil Hunt/Palmer fly fwds. Fine until we lose possession, then the full backs are in the mire and scrabbling back. If Hunt and Pudil had more quality in the final third, they'd contribute to loads of goals. 

11 hours ago, Mercian Owl said:

Just realised, we have only conceded 1 league goal in the past 6 matches, that's some formidable defending, surely got to be one of the most in form defences in the league at the moment.

It's not just the defence, it's a team effort which is probably why they aren't scoring many goals, too busy concentrating on defending...

19 hours ago, Ronio said:

The spine of the team are working wonders at the moment.  Carrying on where we left off last season

Westwood

Lees   Loovens

Hutch 

Our mean defence has come since Loovens came back from injury and Hutch went back into midfield. 

11 hours ago, slinger208b said:

It's not just the defence, it's a team effort which is probably why they aren't scoring many goals, too busy concentrating on defending...

But it's also a tactic which has won us 6 out of the 10 league games losing only 1, it seems to be working and beating top six teams in the process which was a big weakness last season.

6 minutes ago, Mercian Owl said:

But it's also a tactic which has won us 6 out of the 10 league games losing only 1, it seems to be working and beating top six teams in the process which was a big weakness last season.

I'm not complaining. I'm happy with the way things are going and hope there are no rash decisions with regards to the staff...

23 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Amazing considering our full backs being criticused a lot! Although I'm not saying it isn't deserved sometimes.

I think the way we play with Hutchinson dropping in between Lees and Loovens a lot then our full backs are actually seen more as offensive rather than defensive. It's probably the offensive side of their games that let them down most.

54 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Having Hutch protect the defence makes a huge difference and along with Loovens, the biggest factors for our parsimonious record at the back.

Just googled parsimonious. Never heard it before. My new favourite word.

Never too old to learn!

For all Carlos's disparaging comments about clean sheets he actually loves 'em.

Basically sets up to try to not concede the first goal which means you stay in the game. 

Because teams are so organised and cynical with things like time wasting and slowing the game the first goal is much more important than it used to be