NEW SWFC SIGNING - Morgan Fox (official)

37 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Leeds fans said a lot worse about Tom Lees. Look how that worked out. Think I will trust CCs judgement tbh

Some fans may have said that about Lees but many didn't , and there was no doubt he was a good player Think most of it was sour grapes about him joining us. Charlton fans would just be delighted if Fox moved anywhere

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Some fans may have said that about Lees but many didn't , and there was no doubt he was a good player Think most of it was sour grapes about him joining us. Charlton fans would just be delighted if Fox moved anywhere

Have you ever seen him play? Last year he was linked to several Premier League clubs. I bet Charlton fans were raving about. Could be a quality player with potential that just needs to get going again. 

Let's not take that opportunity from him, huh? Sometimes players need a change of scenery. 

34 minutes ago, Shezza said:

Have you ever seen him play? Last year he was linked to several Premier League clubs. I bet Charlton fans were raving about. Could be a quality player with potential that just needs to get going again. 

Let's not take that opportunity from him, huh? Sometimes players need a change of scenery. 

Yes of course I have, three times against us, and a few times on the TV, that's how I formed my opinion. Not sure there was any truth about him being watched, he was awful last season as well. In fact the Charlton fans have wanted him out for ages. It's not sour grapes, they are absolutely delighted that someone is prepared to take him off them, and astounded that someone is prepared to pay money for him. Fair enough, a players fortunes can change, with a change of clubs, and if Carlos does sign him, I'll give him my support. Still think it's a bad signing though.

24 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Just had a reply from Charlton supporting mate. Fox is a bit of a liability who can't really defend! Most Charlton fans would snap our hands off for £700k & drive him up here. Oh dear.

S6 i dont think we are going to sign him, that Derby wanting him i think was a ploy to make us move if we were interested, the guys not good enough

From a Charlton forum;

" In my view Morgan Fox has been misunderstood, under appreciated and underrated by a significant minority of the club's fan base. So much so that he has suffered ignorant and unnecessary abuse from some fans, in much the same way that Simon Francis did, for example. Nevertheless, even though I've been a fan, in relative terms at least, I'm surprised that Sheffield Wednesday are interested in buying him. I assume that if Carlos Carlvalhal is interested it's only as a back to Daniel Pudil.
That might be fair enough. Cover is important, after all. However, £700,000, if that is indeed the fee, is a lot of money to spend on a reserve and is especially interesting given that it follows hard on the heels of the sale of Tareiq Holmes-Dennis to Huddersfield for £400,000. Holmes-Dennis has also spent most of the last four months warming his backside on the bench. Roland Duchatelet must think his gravy train is at last beginning to motor. I'm not sure that's good news though.
PS Do those fans who regularly abuse our players for 'nicking a living' ("I'll drive Dale Stephens to Villa Park myself if ... ") ever stop to reflect that it's just possible they don't have a clue what they're watching when the objects of their vitriol go on to achieve real success elsewhere?"

"I'll admit that I've never rated Fox especially highly. I think he lacks positional awareness and often the drive needed to get forward and support / overlap the winger. However, as a young man, these are attributes which he could pick up later in his career. One thing I do see from him, however, is passion and a genuine pride to play for the club. In my mind, the only players who ever deserve abuse for putting on a red shirt are the ones who clearly put in no effort and don't want to play for us. Morgan certainly doesn't fit into that category and the booing he's received is ridiculous."

"Speaking about Fox but on a slightly different point, does anyone else think that their opinion of some players is skewed depending on where they sit in the stadium? I've watched the vast majority of CAFC games over the last 15 years from the left hand side of the lower North, meaning that I've been very close to the left backs / right wingers over the years. Sometimes I think that means I judge them more harshly, because it's easier to spot every single mistake they make! Is it just me?"

" My problem with Fox is just his positional play when defending. He is often too narrow and too far away from attacking players on that side of the pitch.
I would have expected to see this improve with coaching but to my eyes this has not been the case so either he isn't receiving the help he needs to improve or he just doesn't get it."

" His biggest weakness is he doesn't look up before crossing and as a result so many of our attacks break down and the other side are able to counter."

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Have you spoken to every charlton fan

Not sure I understand this move, seems unnecessary when we have Pudil and have brought in Urby on reported big money and have Reach who can fill in at LB. 

Never seen the lad play, so unfair to pass judgement, but is this really a step in the right direction for a team supposedly focused on promotion to the premier league? Not sure about this one

6 minutes ago, well endowed owl said:

Tom Lees thats it and he was bought in by Gray who was a lot more savvy in transfers

I was pointing out that selling clubs' fans often say leaving players are crap and then they do well at other clubs. Wasn't commenting on the scouting merits of either setup

46 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Have you spoken to every charlton fan

Hardly, don't think I've spoken to any of them. No, I tell a lie, I did once have an interesting conversation with one, regarding our then interest in Mr Wiggins. He wasn't that popular there either. I was hostile towards our interest in Wiggins as well, but when he put on a Wednesday shirt, I was right behind him. I was right about him too

Edited by gurujuan

44 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Leeds fans said a lot worse about Tom Lees. Look how that worked out. Think I will trust CCs judgement tbh

I wouldn't quite go as far as to say I'll trust CCs judgment,  I'll probably just decide myself if and when I see him play.

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes of course I have, three times against us, and a few times on the TV, that's how I formed my opinion. Not sure there was any truth about him being watched, he was awful last season as well. In fact the Charlton fans have wanted him out for ages. It's not sour grapes, they are absolutely delighted that someone is prepared to take him off them, and astounded that someone is prepared to pay money for him. Fair enough, a players fortunes can change, with a change of clubs, and if Carlos does sign him, I'll give him my support. Still think it's a bad signing though.

When I went to watch us at Charlton last season he played well. In the other games he has played against us I can't remember him standing out as particularly good or bad. It seems more than 1 promotion chasing Championship club is willing to pay money to take him, I will happily take the opinions of professionals within the game over your repetitive doom and gloom, especially on someone you don't have that much knowledge of.

You are wrong about Lees as well, the majority of Leeds fans were laughing at us for taking him on.

The bigger concern is Emanuelson who plays the same position, is on more money than Fox would get, but gets nowhere near playing for us in the months he has been here.

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hardly, don't think I've spoken to any of them. No, I tell a lie, I did once have an interesting conversation with one, regarding our then interest in Mr Wiggins. He wasn't that popular there either. I was hostile towards our interest in Wiggins as well, but when he put on a Wednesday shirt, I was right behind him. I was right about him too

Wiggins was largely poor for us but given we managed to move him onto a PL club for a fee he was still far less of a failure than some of the current squad of high wage earners that we seem stuck with.

35 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Wiggins was largely poor for us but given we managed to move him onto a PL club for a fee he was still far less of a failure than some of the current squad of high wage earners that we seem stuck with.

No I agree, and when he played, he actually didn't do too bad, apart from that Boro game. In fact, I thought he was pretty close to being man of the match, away to QPR.  As for me not knowing more than the professionals, that's probably true, but professionals are not immune from making mistakes. How many times do you think Carlos watched, Wiggins, Emanuelson, or any of the other players who don't get a look in. As I said, if and when he pulls on a Wednesday shirt, I'll be right behind him, as I was with Wiggins, and even bloody Gary Taylor-Fletcher

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Fair enough. My mate is an ST holder & travels away too so has seen Fox play on a very regular basis, which is how he formed his opinion. Just passing his words on, as most of us probably don't have a clue what he's like!