Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

The key for me is that it's the football league that will ratify it, their club (us) did everything they had to do including paying, in good time, the premier league team didn't. They'll say there were mitigating circumstances, they were pushing through their own deals and Rhodes paperwork was last in queue. FL will find in our favour. 

3 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Because there comes a point when clubs would just be taking the p**s. From what we've been told I don't think Boro or us have done that. We're talking about one deal that has just failed to get sent before the deadline. Like I say I don't think clubs or a business would risk not getting things done within a deadline in future, just because one deal in the past was completed at 11.05.  But we shall see what they decide! 

2 minutes ago, shez owl said:

The key for me is that it's the football league that will ratify it, their club (us) did everything they had to do including paying, in good time, the premier league team didn't. They'll say there were mitigating circumstances, they were pushing through their own deals and Rhodes paperwork was last in queue. FL will find in our favour. 

Unfortunately I don't think "we meant to get it done before 11 but just didn't" will really hold up. I'd say there has to be some proof of the deal in principle then a reason why the papers weren't sent.

I'd not be surprised if we do have both of those, though. Or even proof the papers/deal sheet were sent before 11 even if they didn't arrive before 11, which might be good enough. I just think that if Boro sent the paperwork late with no evidence of agreement before 11, it will be difficult to ratify the transfer because ultimately it missed the deadline. 

Just now, Sefton owl said:

Can someone explain what happens if this doesn't get over the line.

Would he still be our player but just not eligible to play this season? Or would we have to give him back to Boro?

In business law, if there has been an offer, and this will be documented in this case, and if there has also been acceptance of that offer, which will also have been documented in this case, you have a binding, legal, contract for the sale.

The Football Authorities need to decide if their process and bureaucratic way of doing things should get in the way of the player playing fir Sheffield Wednesday at this moment in time.

Football Authorities can't overrule laws of the land relating to business transactions.

If Boro have messed it up, I would wonder about some argument over the details off add-ons, or perhaps a late switch from completing the transfer to filling out one of those deal sheet thingies which wasn't done in time. 

Either that or they were so wrapped up signing Guedioura that they just forgot poor Jordan was sat down in Sheffield waiting to be sold.