Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

13 minutes ago, JonesyWAWAW said:

Villa have sold Gestede to Middlesborough with a player in bound for loan. I reckon it's likely Rhodes is going in the other direction. 

Nugent going the other way isn't it.

14 minutes ago, Daz said:

Is it just me, but I see little difference between what Hooper offers us and what Rhodes would.

We need a striker with real pace to give us more options.

Rhodes would make a difference imo. 

All our forwards offer something, but we don't have that proper out and out striker who's a constant threat. Constantly on the move, constantly trying to get in behind or gain a yard on a defender.  

Rhodes, Hogan, Wells...or someone similar. 

16 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Were you there when he put 4 past us?

Looked pretty pacy to me.

I think that performance sways the opinion of many Swfc fans and sticks in the mind. It was unbelievable, but it shouldn't cloud the overall picture

that was years ago. Rhodes isn't quick, doesn't link play as well as hooper or fletch and the way we play wouldn't suit him IMO

6 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

To be fair hooper often tries to go in behind but it's never played through. That's the issue IMO and why it wouldn't work

Hooper doesn't try to run in behind very often at all. I think he knows he doesn't have the pace, plus he likes to come and collect the ball with his back to goal. 

He's not like Rhodes. 

Rhodes poses a different type of threat. He's a constant menace in behind and down the sides. He's not lightning fast but he's quick enough and clever enough to play on the last man.

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper doesn't try to run in behind very often at all. I think he knows he doesn't have the pace, plus he likes to come and collect the ball with his back to goal. 

He's not like Rhodes. 

Rhodes poses a different type of threat. He's a constant menace in behind and down the sides. He's not lightning fast but he's quick enough and clever enough to play on the last man.

Every game I see Hooper play he tries to make a run between CBs or in behind and it doesn't get played on many occasions. He has done this for years. 

Yes Hooper is very good at linking play, better than Rhodes. 

But to say Hooper doesn't try to get in behind very often at all is just wrong IMO. 

33 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Every game I see Hooper play he tries to make a run between CBs or in behind and it doesn't get played on many occasions. He has done this for years. 

But to say Hooper doesn't try to get in behind very often at all is just wrong IMO. 

It's what I see, but it's tactics We have the guy who could put the ball on a plate for Hooper, in Abdi, but having broke the bank to get him, Carlos won't play him Barmy

3 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

He plays up front. Of course there'll be times he makes a move down the sides or in behind, but it's not generally his game. He's far, far more likely to be dropping into the hole in front of defenders. 

Fletcher does the same, as does FF. It means we're often easy to defend against, and usually short of that killer in the box when we need it. 

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He plays up front. Of course there'll be times he makes a move down the sides or in behind, but it's not generally his game. He's far, far more likely to be dropping into the hole in front of defenders. 

Fletcher does the same, as does FF. It means we're often easy to defend against, and usually short of that killer in the box when we need it. 

Gary Hooper has made his career of being a killer inside the box! If you look at his goals for the likes of Celtic, compare how they played to him and how we do. He's also had to adapt to our team style as have many others