David Jones

Guest Arnold

My best mate is a Burnley fans - says Jones has been Burnley's second most influential player the last three seasons - behind only midfield partner Dean Marney with whom he had a telepathic understanding......Jones is an accurate passer, good at set-pieces but his only real weakness is that he is lightweight in the tackle and relied on Marney and Barton to win the ball.

17 minutes ago, ReluctantNicko said:

My best mate is a Burnley fans - says Jones has been Burnley's second most influential player the last three seasons - behind only midfield partner Dean Marney with whom he had a telepathic understanding......Jones is an accurate passer, good at set-pieces but his only real weakness is that he is lightweight in the tackle and relied on Marney and Barton to win the ball.

oh great! just what we dont need then

5 minutes ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Put a ball-winning midfielder in a 442 alongside Jones and it will be a carbon copy of Burnley's 2013/14 and 2015/16 promotion teams. A Barton/Marney to break up play and Jones to find the wingers and strikers with accurate passing.

Might work

13 minutes ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Put a ball-winning midfielder in a 442 alongside Jones and it will be a carbon copy of Burnley's 2013/14 and 2015/16 promotion teams. A Barton/Marney to break up play and Jones to find the wingers and strikers with accurate passing.

Where do you play Bannan, Lee, Abdi then? 

4 hours ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Shame that we need him to do the tackling then

1 minute ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Looks a bit like the Barton situation with Jones......Dyche wanted to keep them both but was not prepared to offer them lengthy deals because of their veteran status.

Pretty ruthless by Dyche not to offer improved deals to the engine room pair that won them the league last season,.

:manager:

22 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

A diamond midfield is one of those formations where the right personel is crucial. Tbh Jones, Lee, Bannan and Abdi seem perfect for it. On paper anyway. Fullbacks obviously providing most of the width.

Its also about the only way CC can accommodate the players we have too...

If we play 442, based on the premise we will are supposedly bringing in better than what we have you could say that Jones and Abdi form a new midfield pairing, with Buckley on the right and FF on the left - all players in their best potions...but no Lee or Bannan!

If these two stay did in, Abdi and Jones will be benched and I can't see £6M+ talent sitting happily for too long on the sidelines.

This is the issue CC has and why 442 could be a thing of the past.  It also means we will play 1 up front, likely Fletcher, with Hooper sitting on the bench - something I don't think he will take too kindly.  What would be frustrating is if he goes out on loan and starts scoring goals, something that is not altogether improbable

Big decisions for CC over the next few weeks....