John Hemmingham (Band) speaks to Jonathan Buchan

9 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

I think most people realise that I am not a fan of the band. I wish they would just go. However, for a balanced argument, is it that the "Leave" campaigners, like me, are more vocal on a forum where you are almost anonymous, and the "Stay" camp is just not vocal enough?

Persoanally, I don't believe this is the case, but our forum only represents a section of our total fan base. Okay, we have over 28,000 members on here, but how many fans really want the band gone, and how many just don't care either way?

The vote on here was 70-30 against the band so I reckon it's not about the pro band being not vocal enough. Anybody can click on a vote without becoming embroiled. 

12 hours ago, archieswfc said:

The vote on here was 70-30 against the band so I reckon it's not about the pro band being not vocal enough. Anybody can click on a vote without becoming embroiled. 

I knew about the vote, which is why I said I don't personally believe the supporters of the band were not being vocal enough. I was just gathering opinions about this possibility.

I guess Bluey9 was right when saying that the stay camp had said their piece. They haven't got much to say because the situation is to their liking. "They" may as well leave "us" to argue it out amongst ourselves.

Any idea of the number of votes cast?

Edited by ChapSmurf
spelling - as always!

Would also be interesting to see where those that are in favour sit. The ones I know who aren't bothered either way sit nowhere near em or very rarely attend.

Apart from being in the South when I was a youngster In the 70's, I always went on the Kop (since early 80's) and loved it, it changed once the seats came in as "my usual spot" had gone. But the feeling of being in my place at Hillsborough was part of the feel and love for my club. The place has memories and even though my Dad, Grandad & Uncle are no longer on this earth, The Kop is where we are back together again. 

Unfortunately my seat/ season ticket was in the vicinity of the band and my hearing is not that good, made worse by the OTT thumping of that drum. Spoke to the club, they suggested I move. Despite 30 plus yrs on the Kop that was it, I had very little choice but to move.

The band does not bring together supporters and they do not spur on the team. These are facts that ultimately decides their fate. They've had a good run, but the band is outdated and needs to go

I think we should be voting for the band to 'leave' on June 23rd. For too long we have tried to sing our own songs, only for the unelected band members to give us songs to sing instead. This time spent singing the band songs could instead be used invested in other songs, such as 'We've got Barry Bannan' and 'Carlos had a Dream'.

I think we can really excel with no band members hanging over our song decisions. And the money spent accommodating the band could be used to invest on the pitch. A Hillsborough without the band would prosper, and be safer, stronger, and louder. #VoteBandxit

14 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

I knew about the vote, which is why I said I don't personally believe the supporters of the band were not being vocal enough. I was just gathering opinions about this possibility.

I guess Bluey9 was right when saying that the stay camp had said their piece. They haven't got much to say because the situation is to their liking. "They" may as well leave "us" to argue it out amongst ourselves.

Any idea of the number of votes cast?

Around 700 I think.

On 14/06/2016 at 06:51, archieswfc said:

It seems that their popularity is as low as ever. Surely the club must do something about it.

Mods, I can't post without quoting the last person I quoted.

You'd think so wouldn't you? But a recent straw poll on Facebook surprisingly says otherwise.

7 hours ago, lesbarbeux said:

You'd think so wouldn't you? But a recent straw poll on Facebook surprisingly says otherwise.

Only have FB for work but I never saw any poll.

Also how the FB generation votes is no indication of how fans feel in the stadium or those that are sat near the fecking things

On 16/06/2016 at 11:48, Paolo Di Catio said:

Would also be interesting to see where those that are in favour sit. The ones I know who aren't bothered either way sit nowhere near em or very rarely attend.

Apart from being in the South when I was a youngster In the 70's, I always went on the Kop (since early 80's) and loved it, it changed once the seats came in as "my usual spot" had gone. But the feeling of being in my place at Hillsborough was part of the feel and love for my club. The place has memories and even though my Dad, Grandad & Uncle are no longer on this earth, The Kop is where we are back together again. 

Unfortunately my seat/ season ticket was in the vicinity of the band and my hearing is not that good, made worse by the OTT thumping of that drum. Spoke to the club, they suggested I move. Despite 30 plus yrs on the Kop that was it, I had very little choice but to move.

The band does not bring together supporters and they do not spur on the team. These are facts that ultimately decides their fate. They've had a good run, but the band is outdated and needs to go

so you've spoken to the club on the issue...

and had their reply...

no doubt one of the options they had to consider was asking the band not to attend anymore...

YET THEY DIDN'T...

doesn't that sort of tell you something?

the club chose to go with the status quo, and suggested YOU MOVE, as it's your problem...

why don't the 100 or so of you who want the band out start (and have failed with their written objections) and live up to the aggressive threats we see of 'i'll shove his trumpet up his ****, and 'he wants his drum shoving over his head', along with the suggestions of 'it could turn physical'...

and up the ante, see where that goes...

my guess would be a restraining order at best...

start and throw your weight about, you've written to the club, see where upping it goes...

The facts are that the majority want them gone.

&, the way I see it, the ones who wouldn't 'want them gone' are mostly ambivalent towards them. Not bothered. Don't dislike them but there wouldn't be a mass uproar 20 page thread, social media uproar if the band announced tomorrow that they were no longer to play at Hillsborough.

And that's what it boils down to.

In no way do I think the club should make a decision that, whilst pleasing the majority, would anger a minority.

But I don't think people would be angered. 

Hemmingham & co' more than welcome to remain as supporters & attend all the matches they would be anyway. But the majority want the instruments gone & the minority who don't ''want them'' gone wouldn't kick up any fuss.

2 minutes ago, dnhc said:

so you've spoken to the club on the issue...

and had their reply...

no doubt one of the options they had to consider was asking the band not to attend anymore...

YET THEY DIDN'T...

doesn't that sort of tell you something?

the club chose to go with the status quo, and suggested YOU MOVE, as it's your problem...

why don't the 100 or so of you who want the band out start (and have failed with their written objections) and live up to the aggressive threats we see of 'i'll shove his trumpet up his ****, and 'he wants his drum shoving over his head', along with the suggestions of 'it could turn physical'...

and up the ante, see where that goes...

my guess would be a restraining order at best...

start and throw your weight about, you've written to the club, see where upping it goes...

So you don't listen to other fans but continue to play on regardless ?

7 minutes ago, Paolo Di Catio said:

So which instrument do you make the awful noise with?

i'll tell you the instrument i play...

it's the right of the vast majority of sheffield wednesday fans with no objection to the band, as opposed to the hundred of so who have...

it's the opposition to the threats of violence once they become frustrated that the club haven't found in their favour...

it's sheer amazement that some kopeytes think the band should be shifted, that people should be forcibly relocated to accommodate a singing section...

but most of all, it's the f*****g amazement that grown men need 'permission' for a 'singing section' at the football, tinpot or what?

7 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

The facts are that the majority want them gone.

&, the way I see it, the ones who wouldn't 'want them gone' are mostly ambivalent towards them. Not bothered. Don't dislike them but there wouldn't be a mass uproar 20 page thread, social media uproar if the band announced tomorrow that they were no longer to play at Hillsborough.

And that's what it boils down to.

In no way do I think the club should make a decision that, whilst pleasing the majority, would anger a minority.

But I don't think people would be angered. 

Hemmingham & co' more than welcome to remain as supporters & attend all the matches they would be anyway. But the majority want the instruments gone & the minority who don't ''want them'' gone wouldn't kick up any fuss.

the majority don't want them gone at all, IF they did the club wouldn't have taken their stance against your position...

write to the club again, state your name and s/t number, and that you find it unacceptable, and intolerable...

and the club will be along to throw you out... :tango:

1 minute ago, dnhc said:

the majority don't want them gone at all, IF they did the club wouldn't have taken their stance against your position...

write to the club again, state your name and s/t number, and that you find it unacceptable, and intolerable...

and the club will be along to throw you out... :tango:

I spoke to the club directly at the steering group meeting & because there are people who want them to stay they remain.

The point that I failed to make in the heat of the moment was that people don't necessarily want them to stay. They're just not bothered or effected by them.

As it is, I can't even hear them that much from where I am on The Kop. I just believe that, in the long term, our atmosphere would benefit from their removal.