John Hemmingham (Band) speaks to Jonathan Buchan

19 minutes ago, dnhc said:

so you've spoken to the club on the issue...

and had their reply...

no doubt one of the options they had to consider was asking the band not to attend anymore...

YET THEY DIDN'T...

doesn't that sort of tell you something?

the club chose to go with the status quo, and suggested YOU MOVE, as it's your problem...

why don't the 100 or so of you who want the band out start (and have failed with their written objections) and live up to the aggressive threats we see of 'i'll shove his trumpet up his ****, and 'he wants his drum shoving over his head', along with the suggestions of 'it could turn physical'...

and up the ante, see where that goes...

my guess would be a restraining order at best...

start and throw your weight about, you've written to the club, see where upping it goes...

When I spoke to the club it was several years ago. Hemmingham had an office there at the time, he was regarded differently back then.

As per the bit highlighted in your post (it's your problem) 

"My problem" as you put it is hearing difficulties and with my seat in close proximity to that drum, I had severe issues. With a constant thump throughout the match in my one good ear (good but not brilliant) it causes severe aches and affected my balance/ causes dizzy spells.

But as you say, it's my problem.

6 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I spoke to the club directly at the steering group meeting & because there are people who want them to stay they remain.

The point that I failed to make in the heat of the moment was that people don't necessarily want them to stay. They're just not bothered or effected by them.

As it is, I can't even hear them that much from where I am on The Kop. I just believe that, in the long term, our atmosphere would benefit from their removal.

how do you know that?

did you canvass everyone in the ground?

'in the heat of the moment' just about sums it all up...

our atmosphere was **** before we had any band, with the odd exception (awaits kaiserslautern reference yet again)...

5 minutes ago, Paolo Di Catio said:

When I spoke to the club it was several years ago. Hemmingham had an office there at the time, he was regarded differently back then.

As per the bit highlighted in your post (it's your problem) 

"My problem" as you put it is hearing difficulties and with my seat in close proximity to that drum, I had severe issues. With a constant thump throughout the match in my one good ear (good but not brilliant) it causes severe aches and affected my balance/ causes dizzy spells.

But as you say, it's my problem.

it's unfortunate that you have a hearing problem...

and of course wise that you remove yourself from the noise of the band...

however the dilemma will be choosing the kop for it's normal quietness, only to have it disturbed by the band...

1 minute ago, dnhc said:

it's unfortunate that you have a hearing problem...

and of course wise that you remove yourself from the noise of the band...

however the dilemma will be choosing the kop for it's normal quietness, only to have it disturbed by the band...

6 minutes ago, dnhc said:

how do you know that?

did you canvass everyone in the ground?

'in the heat of the moment' just about sums it all up...

our atmosphere was **** before we had any band, with the odd exception (awaits kaiserslautern reference yet again)...

I'm perfectly fine in normal situations, it's when I have that/ or a drum in the vicinity. The band has no musical ability whatsoever (My wife is a music teacher, she knows her stuff)

Whichever side you're on, the fact is the band splits opinion. It's supposed to unite and it fails on this.

They go to other teams and use our tunes. Whilst most clubs do use songs of others, it's a bit much when you watch England and hear "We've got Barrry Bannan" " Carlos had a dream" etc 

The band has had a good run at it in Hillsborough but it's time to go, it's old hat. And nobody can defend that the band spurs the team on because we were doing quite well before they turned up and have struggled in the time they've played (Not all your fault but... :biggrin: )

18 minutes ago, Sonny said:

They are total vvank though. 

They dont have to be though do they? And I think that this is what winds me up the most.

At set-pieces, the drum is brilliant, and I think Hillsborough would be worse off without it. At Wembley the drum brought all of the fans together and it was incredible.

It wouldnt be that difficult to at least acknowledge some peoples concerns. They do play over the top of people and at times in the past they've seemingly done it on purpose to either make a point or wind people up. Do we really still need the trumpets? Do they really need to be as overpowering? Surely it wouldnt be that difficult for both sides to come to a compromise and we can all get on with enjoying the footie.

Just now, Miffed said:

They dont have to be though do they? And I think that this is what winds me up the most.

At set-pieces, the drum is brilliant, and I think Hillsborough would be worse off without it. At Wembley the drum brought all of the fans together and it was incredible.

It wouldnt be that difficult to at least acknowledge some peoples concerns. They do play over the top of people and at times in the past they've seemingly done it on purpose to either make a point or wind people up. Do we really still need the trumpets? Do they really need to be as overpowering? Surely it wouldnt be that difficult for both sides to come to a compromise and we can all get on with enjoying the footie.

Yeah, I enjoyed some small parts against Cardiff but they don't seem interested in any compromise. I'd be happier if they were a bit sharper and a bit less brass recital on the park bandstand.

Couldn't they just be put in a massive soundproof perspex box that's rigged up to a radio system. Then people who wanted to listen to them could just get some headphones and tune in. Everyone else could then enjoy the natural sound of a football match in action in peace. 

Whenever I hear them my first thought is always the same. 

Why after 20 plus years of refinement and recruitment are they still rubbish.  If someone does something for that amount of time even if they have very little aptitude they would normally expect to be at least competent

The standard both in terms of playing musical instruments and the skill of working with their fellow supporters is ridiculously poor. 

Can you imagine Manchester United putting up with them? For over 20 years! 

21 hours ago, F. Spiksley said:

Couldn't they just be put in a massive soundproof perspex box that's rigged up to a radio system. Then people who wanted to listen to them could just get some headphones and tune in. Everyone else could then enjoy the natural sound of a football match in action in peace. 

and you'd be willing to fund that?

23 hours ago, Paolo Di Catio said:

I'm perfectly fine in normal situations, it's when I have that/ or a drum in the vicinity. The band has no musical ability whatsoever (My wife is a music teacher, she knows her stuff)

Whichever side you're on, the fact is the band splits opinion. It's supposed to unite and it fails on this.

They go to other teams and use our tunes. Whilst most clubs do use songs of others, it's a bit much when you watch England and hear "We've got Barrry Bannan" " Carlos had a dream" etc 

The band has had a good run at it in Hillsborough but it's time to go, it's old hat. And nobody can defend that the band spurs the team on because we were doing quite well before they turned up and have struggled in the time they've played (Not all your fault but... :biggrin: )

i hate to shock you, but i think you'll find there not 'OUR' tunes, we took them from something else...

like the 'kiddies' who think 'hark now hear' is solely ours, they think the world started turning in 1990...

IF it's time for the band to go, group together, and approach the club, show them the 100+ of you that want your own way, and let the club decide...

although in all honesty it looks like they already have...

and then settle down and enjoy YOUR KOP BAND...

3 minutes ago, Paolo Di Catio said:

As you can see from band member dnhc's comments. They are interested in only themselves regardless of how other fans are affected/ feel

i'm NOT a band member...

BUT I FULLY WELCOME YOUR COMMENT...

it's the comment i normally get when one of the 'i want my own way' brigade finally see's his/her argument taken apart...

1 minute ago, dnhc said:

i'm NOT a band member...

BUT I FULLY WELCOME YOUR COMMENT...

it's the comment i normally get when one of the 'i want my own way' brigade finally see's his/her argument taken apart...

Your comments don't really endear yourself. Don't know you but you sound an unpleasant individual 

1 minute ago, Paolo Di Catio said:

Your comments don't really endear yourself. Don't know you but you sound an unpleasant individual 

i'll take your NOW 'personal attack' upon someone you don't know, or have never met...

as your final 'chelp' at the lowering of your colours...

but let me offer you help here, you'll not win with bullying...

but was it you who stated that a meeting with the club over the issue 'got heated'?

surprise, surprise...