Official Summer 2016 Transfer Rumours Megathread

I really don't want to see FF back helping our left back all season. In certain games at certain times, fair enough, but he's way too good as a forward to be regularly starting games there. Just have to look at the type of goals he's scored. 

If we are going to play 442, I would rather see FF/Fletcher than Hooper/Fletcher.

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I really don't want to see FF back helping our left back all season. In certain games at certain times, fair enough, but he's way too good as a forward to be regularly starting games there. Just have to look at the type of goals he's scored. 

If we are going to play 442, I would rather see FF/Fletcher than Hooper/Fletcher.

So play our superb left winger as a centre forward, and leave our superb and costliest goal-scorer on the bench? You may just have something.

4 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Did you consider this to be a problem with FF when he was scoring at will from the left?

Also in a 4-3-3 he would have a share of defensive responsibility.

The 3 midfielders would be over run if not

He has scored plenty of goals up top as well. FF/Fletcher would outscore Hooper/Fletcher, absolutely no doubt in my mind. FF gives you so much more up top than Hooper does.

And 433 doesn't get overrun in midfield because it's more of a 451 without the ball. 442 with 2 "lazy" forwards would leave our midfield 2 far more exposed.

5 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

:duntmatter:

Tell him holmowl tell him

I know the numbers and I'm sure Carlos does too. They mean roger all.

And why is Hooper afforded the excuse of "not having the right partner" but FF isn't? There's far, far more to FF's game than Hooper's, as a forward.

Other than opinion what are we basing FF being a better forward or striker than Hooper? 

Hooper and FF played their careers up top unless I'm mistaken and one has a vastly better goals per game/minute ratio than the other. 

FF probably more energy, running and skill, Hooper more power and better finisher in my opinion. 

Hooper has led the line in his career at very top level and looked pretty good doing it. I think he'll play better as we collectively play better and paired with fletcher will be a daunting combination for opposition defences. 

FF will likely benefit from the gaps created by attention them pair will attract. Playing left / just behind and floating role. 

But it my opinion isn't worth as much as the managers and happy to wait to see. One things for sure more combinations of options are better than fewer! I'm even happy that Dave is still there!! 

10 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Other than opinion what are we basing FF being a better forward or striker than Hooper? 

Hooper and FF played their careers up top unless I'm mistaken and one has a vastly better goals per game/minute ratio than the other. 

FF probably more energy, running and skill, Hooper more power and better finisher in my opinion. 

As I said before, I'm basing it on the fact that there's much more to FF's game than Hooper's.

FF's workrate is on a completely different level, he's quicker, he's strong, he'll run in behind, he'll drop deep and create, he can dribble past players and he only needs a second to pull the trigger. He's very much a modern forward in the Suarez, Aguero mould imo. 

And despite what holmowl and the other dinosaurs on here think, stats aren't everything.

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

FF's best position is wide left in a forward 3

4-4-2 constrains him as he's neither a striker or a traditional left winger. That said, of the two... Infinitely better wide left in that formation than as a striker

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Ideally Fletcher up top with FF left and someone of equal ability with similar attributes on the right.

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

As I said before, I'm basing it on the fact that there's much more to FF's game than Hooper's.

FF's workrate is on a completely different level, he's quicker, he's strong, he'll run in behind, he'll drop deep and create, he can dribble past players and he only needs a second to pull the trigger. He's very much a modern forward in the Suarez, Aguero mould imo. 

And despite what holmowl and the other dinosaurs on here think, stats aren't everything.

Stats are not everything but they are indicative of what a forward player offers. That or the fact you win more when it occurs. 

Dave doesn't score or set up many, but in games he played we won lots... In that case the scoring or assisting stats are not as valuable to the win percentage, however that too is a stat. 

FF delivered his greatest goals tally last season playing largely further back than ordinarily does. That's also hard to argue that we should push him further forward at detriment to someone who scores more often. 

But it as I said, different opponents require different options and debating which one is better is s situation I far prefer to be in than the situations of last ten years. 

Both these options are superior to our previous seasons and also to many of the teams in this division. 

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

FF's best position is wide left in a forward 3

4-4-2 constrains him as he's neither a striker or a traditional left winger. That said, of the two... Infinitely better wide left in that formation than as a striker

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Ideally Fletcher up top with FF left and someone of equal ability with similar attributes on the right.

Guest wilyfox

I think 4-4-2 is here to stay, following the arrival of Fletcher. Carlos always maintained Hooper was his first choice striker. I can't see that changing 6 months after DC bought Hooper for Carlos. 

Had it been McCormack instead of Fletcher, then I'd have said 4-3-3 all the way. Now I'm hoping for an orthodox winger to arrive rather than McCormack. 

What could work well is 4-1-2-1-2 diamond with a holding midfielder (Hutch or Melo or A.N. Other) Bannan and Lee at CM, Forestieri behind Hooper and Fletcher linking up the play with his energy, width comes from Bannan and Lee linking with the fullbacks on the overlap....