The New West Stand

Where are these 35,000 home fans going to find the money from to sell out Hillsborough if we are in the Prem? Apparently people simply don't have the money to go now and I can't see it being any cheaper if we go up.

How much would a Cat A game be, £50?

For some it's about not having enough cash full stop but for a lot of people it isn't about not having the money - it's about having other things to spend the money on. Wednesday v Man Utd is going to tempt people to plump for the football and shell out £39 for a ticket a lot more than a game v Bristol City.  

Kop - I'm really sentimental about it staying on a bank of earth, but obviously this means the cramped concourse space we have now. Would probably be best for us to knock it down and build a new stand in its place. Single tiered, 10,000 capacity, no posts.

South and North Stands - Renovate and extend concourses as per WC2018 plans

West Stand - Knock down and replace with Blackburn's Darwen End.

Do you think Blackburn will let us have it?

How would we transport it?

Guest _Ibbo_

We'll never compete with the top six in the Premier League (if that's where we want to be) whilst remaining on the current site.

Simple as that.

Spurs are on course to finish second in a stadium no bigger than S6 1SW... Though not for long.... 

West Stand is for away fans, don't give a to55 if its a freezing cold shed, **** 'em. Bring the rest of the ground up to scratch for the home fans first. I can only speak for the kop but the facilities are shocking. The also need to remove the posts that restrict the view, I dont want Hillsborough to be a nice ground to "visit" i want it to be a crap away experience on and off the pitch.

West Stand is for away fans, don't give a to55 if its a freezing cold shed, **** 'em. Bring the rest of the ground up to scratch for the home fans first. I can only speak for the kop but the facilities are shocking. The also need to remove the posts that restrict the view, I dont want Hillsborough to be a nice ground to "visit" i want it to be a crap away experience on and off the pitch.

You would hope that longer term the West Stand would home Wednesday fans on a regular basis too, so it wouldn't really be for away fans.

Would be happy for the West Stand to receive some cladding and a lick of paint before anything else happens to Hillsborough because whilst I'm proud of Hillsborough, the West Stand looks like a dis-used factory from the outside - a proper eyesore.

I think City are a bit different mate. The money they have spent plus winning titles and being in the Champions League gives them a worldwide profile.

I wonder how many fans come from "far and wide" to watch Norwich or West Brom etc.

I think you would be surprised how much good publicity and feeling a play off win to the Premiership would generate.

Think we would sell out every week for the first season. Sheffield United averaged over 30,000 for they season in the Prem so not unreasonable to assume so would we.

Guest Deleted member

Agree, Wednesday fans are brilliant at spending other people money but don't want to part with any of their own

Don't need to, see historical account versus our competitors

Consistently stating the same tired boring statement won't ever make it right.

For the last 20 years our fans have kept our club afloat consistently investing by far the most money in our club via gate receipts year after year after year. Is that the historical account you are referring to?

I think you would be surprised how much good publicity and feeling a play off win to the Premiership would generate.

Think we would sell out every week for the first season. Sheffield United averaged over 30,000 for they season in the Prem so not unreasonable to assume so would we.

This is true, although last time we had all that goodwill spilling over from a play off victory, the club fooked it up in no time at all. Instead of capitalising on the 40,000 who went to Cardiff, the club spent the rest of the summer playing it down, probably to justify their lack of any meaningful investment in the promotion winning squad. They couldn't have got it more wrong

Should top a 30,000 average fairly comfortably even if we went up this season and the PL lost Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa, be amazed if it was up in the high 30's with a full house every home match as some suggest but it's true that the PL is a different animal from 15/20 years ago so wouldn't discount it out of hand.

West stand, well it looks a bit rubbish from the outside but that isn't where you watch the match from, spent a fortune on the ground in the 60's and ended up with the 55,000 capacity Wembley of the North hosting third division football in front of crowds of 7,000.

Replacement stadium, well In the 80's I went to watch the Owls in places that no longer exist like Ayresome park, Roker park and Baseball ground and they were like neolithic ruins, a no-brainer for the clubs to move to new stadiums, Hillsborough, though tired in some places just isn't in that category. Know nothing about running a football club but FWIW if affordable without compromising the team, would just consider rebuilding the kop as a proper modern stand, not a mound of soil, with internal facilities which bring in money outside match days, maybe conference/wedding rooms restaurant, club shop and such like, lick of paint everywhere else.

What we need to do is get promoted.  Without this it is highly unlikely Chansiri will fund major development of the ground.

If we get promoted we then need to survive a season.

Then knock the West Stand down and rebuild it.  For that season we will be able to apply to the Premier League for no away fans to be allowed in and based on past precedents it will likely be granted.

When the West Stand is built we can then look at sorting the Kop and North Stand out whilst having adequate segregation in the West to allow away fans back in.  It might actually help build Wednesday's season ticket base.  I have always said we don't have a season ticket culture because of the size of Hillsborough - you can always get a ticket for the big matches.  Having the capacity seriously reduced for a few years whilst they sort each stand in turn, will probably help encourage supporters to buy season tickets.

Logistically, wouldn't rebuilding the kop be a bit of a nightmare?

I am no expert.

But as it is built on a hill with no space for a concourse underneath, I think it will have to come down completely with the hill being completely excavated.  then a stand with proper concourses can be built.  I do know that the costs of dismantling a stand are tiny compared to what you might expect.  I would have thought half a dozen JCB's would make relatively light work of the hill.

Logistically, wouldn't rebuilding the kop be a bit of a nightmare?

Yes, would maybe have to greatly restrict away fans and put home fans on LLE but then again we wouldn't want to restrict crowds by doing that if we were in the top flight which is presumably be the only time doing it was viable.