The New West Stand

And finally, for those who say parking is poor round Hillsborough. Firstly, I don't think we have a coherent transport strategy and it would need serious work were we to get in the Prem and be selling out 40,000 every week.

Having been to Brighton  lol there are positives in their car-unfriendly strategy. It's also an age since I went, but I remember at Everton you would park in Stanley Park and they would bus you to the ground for free (you then had about a 20 minute walk back to your car after the game, which was no great hardship). Other than the Wednesdayite car park and the dog track we don't seem to offer much in terms of large parking sites. A plan needs to be in place with road signage to help so that people are parking at a side of the ground which is convenient to their journey home.

Looking longer term, if HS2 does lead to the old Victoria Station being re-opened in town, and also the potential of HS3 to Manchester going through a new Woodhead tunnel, then it makes longer term (admittedly 20 years way) the Wadsley Bridge Station being an option once more (maybe with a cheap Park & Ride option from Victoria, Chapeltown and Deepcar stations).

Allied to that, if/when we do make the Prem I would like to see the club make use of Hillsborough Park, so that for each weekend home game we have some sort of fan park (like a mini Owls in the Park), which would encourage people to get down to the ground early/hang around after the game. I know we are already doing some of this in the ground itself - but I feel a family friendly fan park once a fortnight could help our 'matchday experience' stand out, and take pressure off the immediate pre and post match traffic.

In summary, I think what I am saying is that a little planning and foresight is what is required in terms of transport links. There is no need to move away from Hillsborough to achieve that.

Edited by DevOwls Advocate

I take it you weren't stood alongside us on the kop during the Swansea City snowstorm of 83-84?

We were covered like snowmen and had to scrape our eyes 6 times to witness each of our goals, included that John Toshack own goal.

That was the game we all sang "Bert McGhee, give us a roof!"

We were real men!!!

(teenagers with hot aches actually)

Six goals??  Didn't they let every one into the North and South after the 4th or 5th goal?  There were only a few mentalists left on the Kop for the sixth ....  aaaahhhhhh rite, I see.

I personally think there is scope to shape Hillsborough into a Borussia Dortmund type stadium with a huge single tier kop linking in at the corners.

We could make it a really special place.

I'd rather the stadium was rearchitected in one design like this and implemented in stages over 4 or 5 years.

And finally, for those who say parking is poor round Hillsborough. Firstly, I don't think we have a coherent transport strategy and it would need serious work were we to get in the Prem and be selling out 40,000 every week.

Having been to Brighton  lol there are positives in their car-unfriendly strategy. It's also an age since I went, but I remember at Everton you would park in Stanley Park and they would bus you to the ground for free (you then had about a 20 minute walk back to your car after the game, which was no great hardship). Other than the Wednesdayite car park and the dog track we don't seem to offer much in terms of large parking sites. A plan needs to be in place with road signage to help so that people are parking at a side of the ground which is convenient to their journey home.

Looking longer term, if HS2 does lead to the old Victoria Station being re-opened in town, and also the potential of HS3 to Manchester going through a new Woodhead tunnel, then it makes longer term (admittedly 20 years way) the Wadsley Bridge Station being an option once more (maybe with a cheap Park & Ride option from Victoria, Chapeltown and Deepcar stations).

Allied to that, if/when we do make the Prem I would like to see the club make use of Hillsborough Park, so that for each weekend home game we have some sort of fan park (like a mini Owls in the Park), which would encourage people to get down to the ground early/hang around after the game. I know we are already doing some of this in the ground itself - but I feel a family friendly fan park once a fortnight could help our 'matchday experience' stand out, and take pressure off the immediate pre and post match traffic.

In summary, I think what I am saying is that a little planning and foresight is what is required in terms of transport links. There is no need to move away from Hillsborough to achieve that.

Were back in the Joker in Bramley Rotherham for 17:50 hrs, not bad going to say we have at least 4 drop off points on the way home.  And it takes Rams for ever to get off the coach, shaking hands with every bugger.

That's by coach by the way.  Not sure if I have mentioned it but The Rotherham Owls runs a coach.

Which leaves from Silverwood Miners Workingmens Club (Bagin)  at 14:00 hrs every home game.  Just turn up make yourself known. 

Is there though? The south stand is supposedly our main stand and the concourses are cramped and dull like rabbit warrens. The north is the same. The west is a virtual write off and the Kop has little room for manoeuvre.

But that's character man..  You can hardly tell which stadium you're in nowadays as they all look so similar.

If it ever happens, the day we move from Hillsborough will be end of my Wednesday supporting days. I live on The SW side of Sheffield so getting to Hillsborough on match day can be a ball ache but I don't care.

Hillsborough has been our home for over a 100 years, you simply cannot compare us moving away from Hillsborough to back when we moved from Olive Grove.

We are well known as a traditional and historic club, Hillsborough is part of our heritage and identity. The World Cup plans were fantastic and would resolve all the current issues have with Hillsborough. Financially it would make more sense to develop Hillsborough instead of building a new stadium too.

Edited by ohgoditsjames

If it ever happens, the day we move from Hillsborough will be end of my Wednesday supporting days. I live on The SW side of Sheffield so getting to Hillsborough on match day can be a ball ache but I don't care.

Hillsborough has been our home for over a 100 years, you simply cannot compare us moving away from Hillsborough to back when we moved from Olive Grove.

We are well known as a traditional and historic club, Hillsborough is part of our heritage and identity. The World Cup plans were fantastic and would resolve all the current issues we currently have with Hillsborough.

Do you honestly think it would turn you off that much?

Things move on. I remember the fuss with Yorkshire CC and foreign players. There's tradition, character, history etc- but when it starts to hold you back as others move on, it's a problem.

Do you honestly think it would turn you off that much?

Things move on. I remember the fuss with Yorkshire CC and foreign players. There's tradition, character, history etc- but when it starts to hold you back as others move on, it's a problem.

I wasn't born till mid 1994 but I seem to have it in my head that one reason we had financial issues back then was because we were still paying off for the previous things we had done to Hillsborough. Granted we have money now but it would be exponentially more expensive to build a new stadium than it would be to just redevelop Hillsborough. Why risk it?

Yes it would put me off that much, I share that opinion with many Wednesday fans. Hillsborough IS Wednesday. I go to Hillsborough feeling proud every time I'm there, walking out onto the Kop with the view of the whole ground, it might be old, but it's still magnificent.

Edited by ohgoditsjames

I wasn't born till mid 1994 but I seem to have it in my head that one reason we had financial issues back then was because we were still paying off for the previous things we had done to Hillsborough. Granted we have money now but it would be exponentially more expensive to build a new stadium than it would be to just redevelop Hillsborough. Why risk it?

Yes it would put me off that much, I share that opinion with many Wednesday fans. Hillsborough IS Wednesday. I go to Hillsborough feeling proud every time I'm there, walking out onto the Kop with the view of the whole ground, it might be old, but it's still magnificent.

The financial problems were nothing to do with ground improvements.

As for everything else I said? How can you advocate spending stupid money on building a new soulless ground that many fans would be against?

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments. I've been going 30 years and have plenty of amazing matches to look back on, but that doesn't mean change shouldn't be considered.

3 of the top 4 in the PL have new 'soulless' grounds and the other club are already building one.

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments. I've been going 30 years and have plenty of amazing matches to look back on, but that doesn't mean change shouldn't be considered.

3 of the top 4 in the PL have new 'soulless' grounds and the other club are already building one.

Don't you think the World Cup plans prove that Hillsbrough can be updated appropriately to modern standards whilst keeping its traditional image? Old Trafford is a perfect example of how old grounds should be upgraded. Edited by ohgoditsjames

Think some of you need to look up what the meaning of a spion Kop is. Some proper wet blouses on here want a new east stand with heated seats. I'd take the roof off to stop the pillar argument then only allow toilet rolls to be used as streamers

Guest Grez Bez

Is there though? The south stand is supposedly our main stand and the concourses are cramped and dull like rabbit warrens. The north is the same. The west is a virtual write off and the Kop has little room for manoeuvre.

There EASILY enough if you have the vision. There is so much unused space behind all the stands.

post-22045-0-31494200-1430850297.png

We are well known as a traditional and historic club, Hillsborough is part of our heritage and identity. The World Cup plans were fantastic and would resolve all the current issues have with Hillsborough. Financially it would make more sense to develop Hillsborough instead of building a new stadium too.

What would you do, stop watching football altogether, or go and watch someone else on a Saturday?

Don't you think the World Cup plans prove that Hillsbrough can be updated appropriately to modern standards whilst keeping its traditional image? Old Trafford is a perfect example of how old grounds should be upgraded.

The World Cup plans looked good- but in reality what would the costs be? And how would they compare to a purpose built new stadium? Which would prove to be the most profitable re running costs, matchday corporate/commercial operations, stadium use outside matchday etc?

What's the nearest decent stadium venue for concerts/other sports events etc? The Etihad? Maybe with a new 40,000 modern stadium we could be generating all sorts of other incomes?

Guest Grez Bez
If we became mega rich. It would be great to do this:

post-22045-0-36536100-1430851069.png

Agree about the fan park, something needs to happen to make footy a full day event. Especially for families

There EASILY enough if you have the vision. There is so much unused space behind all the stands.

Yep.

It's actually really rare that you see old grounds like ours that have so much space around them.

We're only really limited by the club's own ambition.