26 years ago

A proper club legend.

And the finest striker I've ever seen in a Wednesday shirt during my lifetime. One of the most exciting players to have ever played for the club.

Great time to grow up watching Wednesday. We've had some good players since (alongside plenty of dross) but in this day and age we are unlikely to see a player of that ilk again. Top man.

Beast of a player it's such a shame some of our younger fans never got to watch the like likes of him or our general team during this period play..... Oh for those days cup finals, European tours. Premiership team

a group of six of us used to stand on the kop for years during the eighties and nineties and Hirst was the same age and therefore we had the luck of watching him literally grow up with us. The new year day game was typical day of him simply dominating the opposition everywhere on the pitch - i remember we were laughing thinking 'he's going in the net' and doing exactly what we all would have given our right arm to do - but with Hirsty, there were no theatrics, prima-dona antics; rolling around, bigging it up with his own players, he was simply one of the lads and this endeared him to all.