Lee Bullen with Biggs

fascinating stuff...we certainly have got the coaching staff's take on Atdhe so he won't be going anywhere soon and with Bullen saying we're not bringing a striker in just for the sake of it he's got to fit in with the team ethos and philosophy means we probably won't get anyone in until January. Great to hear him say that Lucas J is going to be some player given the time...it's all good

Edited by daveyboy66

In that video, Carlos himself pronounces it Carval-yal, not Carval-i-al.

Just so. There is no free-standing "i" syllable. The -lhal at the end is a single syllable and is where the stress falls. And Carlos does an excellent job of pronouncing all of his own name correctly on that BBC video, I was most proud of him.

The biggest pronunciation headache is not Carvalhal, though. It's João. Odd that it's so hard to pronounce when it's such a common name in Portugal. It's just the Portuguese name for John. I was born in a medium sized industrial town near Oporto called São João da Madeira which means St John of the Wood. Most people pronounce it "Jow" with a single syllable, like they were in pain. It nees to be pronounced with two syllables run together. The Jo- and the -ão are separate.

The Jo- part is easy. It is a short Zhoo, just like pronouncing the French culinary term Jus. The Ã£o is very hard for non-Portuguese because it is a nasal sound. My wife only seems to get close to it if she holds her nose, but that should not be necessary. If you can say King but stop short pronouncing the final "g" you will be producing a nasal sound. Not the right one but you get the idea. You can feel the sound being produced in your nose.

The Ã£o sound is a nasal "oh". If you tried to say ohnnnng and left off all trace of the final "g" you would be about there. Then just run the Zhoo and ohnnn together and you've got there.

Good luck. 

This is correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8H55wogoQ

Edited by dmw

Just so. There is no free-standing "i" syllable. The -lhal at the end is a single syllable and is where the stress falls. And Carlos does an excellent job of pronouncing all of his own name correctly on that BBC video, I was most proud of him.

The biggest pronunciation headache is not Carvalhal, though. It's João. Odd that it's so hard to pronounce when it's such a common name in Portugal. It's just the Portuguese name for John. I was born in a medium sized industrial town near Oporto called São João da Madeira which means St John of the Wood. Most people pronounce it "Jow" with a single syllable, like they were in pain. It nees to be pronounced with two syllables run together. The Jo- and the -ão are separate.

The Jo- part is easy. It is a short Zhoo, just like pronouncing the French culinary term Jus. The Ã£o is very hard for non-Portuguese because it is a nasal sound. My wife only seems to get close to it if she holds her nose, but that should not be necessary. If you can say King but stop short pronouncing the final "g" you will be producing a nasal sound. Not the right one but you get the idea. You can feel the sound being produced in your nose.

The Ã£o sound is a nasal "oh". If you tried to say ohnnnng and left off all trace of the final "g" you would be about there. Then just run the Zhoo and ohnnn together and you've got there.

Good luck. 

This is correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8H55wogoQ

So its John then  lol