Is the new 433 formation working?

I still prefer 4-4-2 ,One up front ,still too negative for me ,Nuhiu getting slated by some fans yesterday ,Seems unfair the man is a trier but its the system ,Semedo  and Hutch in same side says we going to play a side to contain them ,Took a point before game ,Big Big improvement from Wednesday ,Carlos is the coach but it,s the same way Gray would have set team out ,Two up front at home please Carlos !

The team that started yesterday is probably the team I would play regularly away from home as I think you have to prepared to dig in more away from home.

As for the side lining up at home I'd play McGugan and Lopez instead of Semedo and Lee and Hunt instead of Palmer.

As others have pointed out the huge problem is our striker and the fact we sit too deep. If we push up just a bit more we get the 2nd balls. We barely competed for them yesterday. Nuhui was obviously very poor but if the ball is constantly coming back off him or he's losing it everytime then we need to be anticipating the 2nd ball. The amount of times Bamba won the ball and a Leeds player could just turn and drive up the pitch wasn't good enough. Bamba himself was given the opportunity to bring the ball our far to easily. I don't mind sitting off in certain parts of the pitch the line needed to be higher.

Currently it is more of a 451 than 433. Either one of the central midfield players or both the wide players need to be closer to the centre forward. Matias goal yesterday where he has run across the front line is where a player in a 433 should be. Wallace, as impressed as I have been with him in his ability, is playing a a traditional winger and linking up with hunt, he needs to be linking with Nuhiu or Joao for that system to work. If we want to keep the wing play then Mcgugan, lee or a second striker needs to play off the front man in a 4411

A midfield of Semedo, Hutchinson and Lee, was never going to have the creativity to take the game to Leeds. I wonder if we set up like that because we knew Leeds would be more physical, and with Loovens missing, we wanted a shield in front of the back four. It was the sort of game we could have nicked had we had a decent striker.

but that's not sexy football, and it's not tippy, tap either...

we're taking too long passing the ball around in ineffective areas to launch a quick attack against the opposition...

by the time were over half way everyone is back and whoever the lone striker is has 2/3 men to cover him...

No. Clearly not. Bar for a lucky goal against Reading, (wont happen again) & a stroke of pure genius today. ( wont happen again) They would av been two losses. We'd be avin a very different conversation then i think. See what next couple of games bring.

Totally agree .

4231 only works if midfield support front man which doesn't happen enough .

Spot on, I'd like to see someone like Hooper playing in the front 3 with Matias and Sougou before writing off the 433 just yet. It maybe that Hooper running into spaces and stretching defences will create better passing opportunities for the midfield 3, and create more spaces for our players to run into

451 (and lets face it we've one up top) is ok away from home, but at home we need the firepower of 2 up...

sadly we weren't a million miles away from it last season, we needed far better attacking options adding...

now we seem further away...

The more I think about it, the more I think a switch to 4-2-3-1 at home (If we must play one up front) would be preferable. Make sure McGugan is pushed up close to our central striker, and then make sure the more defensive minded midfield two consist of a player like Semedo or Hutch, and then another one like Lee or Lopez who will look to try and make runs from deep. At least then you'll have 3 midfielders up to support the attack with one arriving and attacking full backs seconds behind, instead of what we currently have- which is 2 wide midfielders supporting the attack and then two central midfielders arriving late and all too often too late. 

I said in another thread that I thought CC might come a bit unstuck while getting used to the intensity in this league- as his formation is all about the offensive and defensive transitions between 4-3-3 and his defensive 4-1-4-1. Currently it's pretty easy to argue that these transitions are too quick for his preferred tactic, which is why we're seeing so much isolation between the striker and the midfield. Hopefully, a 4-2-3-1 would see a quicker and more aggressive transition to support Nuhiu/Joao/whoever we sign to play there.

Also, it's far easier to make small tactical changes to make a 4-2-3-1 into a 4-4-2 when we're chasing a game compared with 4-3-3 to 4-4-2. It's something we probably need to start considering

If you haven't got good quality strikers surely you have to go with two? One up front is very difficult. Nuhiu can do it, he has to be on his game though and he isn't enough of the time. Jaoa looks promising and a lot more mobile. Bus is a strange one, we haven't really seen enough of him to see if he can play this role.

The more I think about it, the more I think a switch to 4-2-3-1 at home (If we must play one up front) would be preferable. Make sure McGugan is pushed up close to our central striker, and then make sure the more defensive minded midfield two consist of a player like Semedo or Hutch, and then another one like Lee or Lopez who will look to try and make runs from deep. At least then you'll have 3 midfielders up to support the attack with one arriving and attacking full backs seconds behind, instead of what we currently have- which is 2 wide midfielders supporting the attack and then two central midfielders arriving late and all too often too late. 

I said in another thread that I thought CC might come a bit unstuck while getting used to the intensity in this league- as his formation is all about the offensive and defensive transitions between 4-3-3 and his defensive 4-1-4-1. Currently it's pretty easy to argue that these transitions are too quick for his preferred tactic, which is why we're seeing so much isolation between the striker and the midfield. Hopefully, a 4-2-3-1 would see a quicker and more aggressive transition to support Nuhiu/Joao/whoever we sign to play there.

Also, it's far easier to make small tactical changes to make a 4-2-3-1 into a 4-4-2 when we're chasing a game compared with 4-3-3 to 4-4-2. It's something we probably need to start considering

I agree with most of that apart from we shouldn't be playing with two defensive midfielders and only one up front, we're inviting pressure. Imo we should have one defensive midfielder and two up front.

I agree with most of that apart from we shouldn't be playing with two defensive midfielders and only one up front, we're inviting pressure. Imo we should have one defensive midfielder and two up front.

I'd like to think that in the "2" with 4-2-3-1, if one were Hutch and one were Lee you'd see Lee push far enough forward that he's more of a central midfielder that'll arrive to join attacks- but I do see what you're saying, you're again left in a position where unless you have 15 seconds of possession you're only going to have the 4 attacking player in an attack instead of the 5.

I still prefer 4-4-2 ,One up front ,still too negative for me ,Nuhiu getting slated by some fans yesterday ,Seems unfair the man is a trier but its the system ,Semedo  and Hutch in same side says we going to play a side to contain them ,Took a point before game ,Big Big improvement from Wednesday ,Carlos is the coach but it,s the same way Gray would have set team out ,Two up front at home please Carlos !

from your name, and posts in the past i've read, i gather you and i started watching wednesday about the same time...

we've seen all the 'smoke n' mirrors', all 'the emperor's new clothes' etc. before, at hillsborough and around the divisions too...

i can fully understand the younger element 'pullin' themselves off over 'sexy football', and conservations and postings where they can use the term "BARCA", but...

you and i agree, yesterday looked like a gray side on the field, but with more panic in defence...

by the end of last season we needed to secure mcgugan, add someone to m/f who could put the type of ball through that the ipswich player split our defence with for their equaliser, and 2 proper forwards...

i honestly believe with those additions we'd have been in with a hell of a chance of making the play off's...

instead, we've fetched a ball playing coach in, who's resulted in humping it...  WTF:

we need a bare minimum of 2 up all the time at home...

there would be VERY few exceptions to that rule...

WE NEED SOME PROPER FINISHERS, with movement and a certain ability on the ground and in the air too...