Is the new 433 formation working?

Don't mind it.

Try and get a good foothold in  the game.

Dominate the midfield.

I just wish we'd roll the dice a bit and try and nick it with chucking the extra forwards on when games open up a bit at the end.

But ...

I'm sure a professional manager or coach would say the exact opposite of me and say "make sure you don't lose the point".

Of course it's easy for me to say I'd gamble to try and win it. It's not my job on the libe.

Us fans and our cavalier attitude to attack is probably why I'm not  a coach.

Leeds were there to be attacked after the Matias goal but neither formation nor quality of attacking players were of a nature to allow it.

No. Clearly not. Bar for a lucky goal against Reading, (wont happen again) & a stroke of pure genius today. ( wont happen again) They would av been two losses. We'd be avin a very different conversation then i think. See what next couple of games bring.

If Palmer had passed instead of heading at the keeper and Leeds hadn't scored wednesday would've won...

Agree with those that say we are sitting too deep. This is not a problem with the formation, more the tactics. I'm wondering if the plan is to absorb pressure and strike on the counter.

While that worked against Bristol, probably because they lacked the quality for a killer blow, it wasn't so effective against Ipswich, Reading and Leeds and another 10+ clubs that do have the requisite quality. I'd be looking for a bit more forward pressure and a little less sitting back inviting them on to us.

Also agree we need another big unit up front to really get this working. Joao looks to have potential, would like someone else to take off the pressure.

Either way, it's still too early for me to say. I don't mind the formation and think we are still adapting. Perhaps adjust the tactics (at home especially).

Edited by themaskedowl

Don't mind it.

Try and get a good foothold in the game.

Dominate the midfield.

I just wish we'd roll the dice a bit and try and nick it with chucking the extra forwards on when games open up a bit at the end.

But ...

I'm sure a professional manager or coach would say the exact opposite of me and say "make sure you don't lose the point".

Of course it's easy for me to say I'd gamble to try and win it. It's not my job on the libe.

Us fans and our cavalier attitude to attack is probably why I'm not a coach.

We don't dominate the midfield at the moment though

A midfield of Semedo, Hutchinson and Lee, was never going to have the creativity to take the game to Leeds. I wonder if we set up like that because we knew Leeds would be more physical, and with Loovens missing, we wanted a shield in front of the back four. It was the sort of game we could have nicked had we had a decent striker.

Guest minsk owl

Sheffield Wednesday ......       Football Team .........  Formation ( completely and totally irrelevant )  =  

1 x  Centre Forward  required  

If Palmer had passed instead of heading at the keeper and Leeds hadn't scored wednesday would've won...

You're right. Although I'd say on balance Leeds had the better of the game it could easily have finished 2-1 or even 2-0 to us. Would have flattered but that's football.

One could just as easily say "if it weren't for a silly defensive lapse (it won't happen again) we take home 3 pts."

We set up like that in part because of last week at Ipswich. We went to Portman Road and tried to play like we were at home. Result we got overrun. If we'd played that team today we would have lost. Semedo that a great man marking role on the Ginger Beard guy. Not sure Lopez would have done the same.

A midfield of Semedo, Hutchinson and Lee, was never going to have the creativity to take the game to Leeds. I wonder if we set up like that because we knew Leeds would be more physical, and with Loovens missing, we wanted a shield in front of the back four. It was the sort of game we could have nicked had we had a decent striker.

Have to agree with you Guru. Been happening a lot lately. I think we sat deep looking for the quick counter strike. Problem is the link up and movement seemed to just not click. Reluctant to pin that all on one player but a quality forward out there and I think we could have won it. Edited by themaskedowl

The formation will work once we have some movement up top. Isn't working fully at the minute as we have no threat up front. Can't wait for us to sign a striker with threat

Spot on, I'd like to see someone like Hooper playing in the front 3 with Matias and Sougou before writing off the 433 just yet. It maybe that Hooper running into spaces and stretching defences will create better passing opportunities for the midfield 3, and create more spaces for our players to run into

very harsh.

We deserved a point today but nothing from the reading game.

The formation/ tactics today were v poor. Less attacking than last season.

Its crazy really we have a lot more attack minded players in our team than last year but still seem very similar. I agree the tactics are the problem.

A lot of interesting comments in the thread.  In theory, 433 should work nicely providing we have the right quality in certain areas of the pitch.  We saw how effective it was against Bristol City. 

I still very much prefer the old fashioned 442.  Keep it simple.  

Would like to see some more attacking intent from the new formation.  Not sure how all our 5 strikers fits in to all this, especially if more strikers are coming.