Is the new 433 formation working?

Just wondering what fans thoughts are on this.  What do you think of this 433 formation?

Last season under Gray was pretty much a straightforward 442.  When chasing a game, sometimes 3 strikers would be on the pitch.

Under Carlos, 433 seems to be the way to go.  With this setup, it leaves us with 1 lone striker up top, despite having 5 strikers at the club, in Dave, Lavery, May, Joao and Bus.

We are even being linked with bringing in more strikers, even though there is quite possibly only 1 place up for grabs.  

Clearly with the new formation, we are scoring more goals as a team.  

Just wondering, is 433 the way forward for  success in this league or should we be looking to mix it up a bit depending on the opposition?

Thoughts?  

Don't mind it.

Try and get a good foothold in  the game.

Dominate the midfield.

I just wish we'd roll the dice a bit and try and nick it with chucking the extra forwards on when games open up a bit at the end.

But ...

I'm sure a professional manager or coach would say the exact opposite of me and say "make sure you don't lose the point".

Of course it's easy for me to say I'd gamble to try and win it. It's not my job on the libe.

Us fans and our cavalier attitude to attack is probably why I'm not  a coach.

Edited by Lord Snooty

It's working as good as it can without an attacking spearhead. Get that elusive striker in, and once the players get used to the system, we should start to motor. We have to be really clear about the type of striker we need though, and make sure we don't bring in someone who'll have as many problems with the system, as our existing strikers do

Guest totemowl

4-3-3?

We've played 4-1-4-1 so far this season.

Exactly, which potentially transforms into a 3-4-3 as we advance up the pitch.

But, it's not quite working yet. Needs more time.

Guest armchairfan

Perfect set up for an away game. Solid and limits teams chances against us

That formation is not designed for home games. Too defensive. Need 2 up front or one striker playing behind nuhiu or joao as they are the targets.

Nuhiu not mobile enough to play lone striker and midfield too far away from him when and i mean when he manages to hold the ball up.

Need a higher tempo. Lee McGugan need to support the strikers more imo. 2 defensive midfielders will never venture forward enough to get near the opposition area

Guest totemowl

Perfect set up for an away game. Solid and limits teams chances against us

That formation is not designed for home games. Too defensive. Need 2 up front or one striker playing behind nuhiu or joao as they are the targets.

Nuhiu not mobile enough to play lone striker and midfield too far away from him when and i mean when he manages to hold the ball up.

Need a higher tempo. Lee McGugan need to support the strikers more imo. 2 defensive midfielders will never venture forward enough to get near the opposition area

You've missed the obvious. Matias and Wallace are there to support the forward player. McGugan, and one other, fall in behind the front 3 ready for the loose ball. 2 wing backs on the wings.

Guest armchairfan

You've missed the obvious. Matias and Wallace are there to support the forward player. McGugan, and one other, fall in behind the front 3 ready for the loose ball. 2 wing backs on the wings.

Guest armchairfan

Still think its not flexible enough. I think the reading game both wallace and matias got marked out of the game. Joao was having to come deep to receive the ball and other than the goal didnt trouble their back four

Todays game was pretty much the same. Matias was quiet (other than the world class goal) sougou was quiet too

Im a fan of Nuhiu myself but today was either marked by 2 centre backs, flicking balls on with nobody there or no pace to trouble the defense to get round the back.

We would be more prolific if we had someone to feed off nuhiu or joao.

I don't mind it but I think we need to change it or mix it up when it's not working for us.

CC seems somewhat reluctant to do this.

Edited by Fedor

Imo, the midfield 3 need to be better in supporting the forward. Too deep and too negative.

With three in the middle we should be able to dominate possession then bring the wide men in or over the top. At the moment though it's not what we are doing. We are pumping it to an isolated forward