Is the new 433 formation working?

I think with Hooper, we'll have an upgrade on Stevie May, but a similar problem of how best to incorporate him into the starting line up

True, the good news is with Hooper our squad of players is actually very good. Getting them to fit into a system that works in this league seems to be the problem

Guest totemowl

Or replace Joao with Lopez in midfield and you've still got a highly mobile, passing team, with 3 players up front who can all score.

Or replace Joao with Lopez in midfield and you've still got a highly mobile, passing team, with 3 players up front who can all score.

I think that is the most likely scenario, but it's a bit of a lightweight front three for this division.

It would be a bit of a Kneejerk reaction, to switch to another system to accommodate a loan player, especially when we've spent all summer recruiting players to fit the new system. We could just have easily kept last season's squad and added McGugan, Wallace and Hooper. Seriously, it would be a bizarre decision

I don't overly disagree with that.

The disadvantage is that it's much harder to play the sexy continental football with 4-4-2 over 4-3-3 because you don't have players filling the gaps between the lines to play short passes to. That said, I'd hardly complain if we saw a footballing style similar to the more successful Man United teams over the years playing 4-4-2 - that's hardly a far cry from the attractive footballing philosophy we're trying to implement!

Playing Devil's Advocate here, would you want to see a 4-4-2 both at home and away, or just at home and stick with what's perhaps a slightly more solid 4-3-3/4-5-1 away from home? 

'sexy continental football'...

were playing in the english championship, not some 'dream' league on the continent...

he got a new un ripped at ipswich when he switched to a 'more continental game'...

he got a shock against reading, and couldn't get over the half way line for long periods at bellend road...

at home...

we need to start hot (it's not 90 degrees over here) with 2 up...

we need to start fast...

we need to get it into the box...

and we need to support in numbers...

away...

we can go one up, but it is vital we get support there, and he is not hopelessly isolated...

if the 'home' sides half is congested, and we fail to play through it, then play possession football in our half, until their crowd forces them to come out of the trenches...

sides have come to hillsborough for years now and set the 'uneasy' crowd against wednesday, time for us to work it...

we have not got the obligation to 'entertain' away from home, they can't chose to sit in for ever...

Like many others have said we've struggled getting numbers into the box the past few games. Main striker has been isolated a lot of the time but I'm sure if we stick at the formation and the players keep learning their roles and resopsobilitys it will come good.

I have seen it so far as we are trying to play like Chelsea 4231.

Play counter attack football with the full backs creating the width and when we have the ball it's all about possession.

It's gonna take time to get this to work in my opinion. Also we need a couple of players an attacking midfielder to compete with McGugan as he has the tendency to hide and q centre forward.

Forestieri and Hooper/Jones would be awesome.

I think it will come good in time.

I thought a key difference against Reading and Leeds as against earlier games was that the full backs rarely got forward. I know Wiggins made the cross for the goal against Reading but he has not crossed the halfway line very often.

We need the full backs to push on and make the opposition back 4 worry or we will struggle to attack

Edited by oldishowl

I have seen it so far as we are trying to play like Chelsea 4231.

Play counter attack football with the full backs creating the width and when we have the ball it's all about possession.

It's gonna take time to get this to work in my opinion. Also we need a couple of players an attacking midfielder to compete with McGugan as he has the tendency to hide and q centre forward.

Forestieri and Hooper/Jones would be awesome.

I think it will come good in time.

havin' hazard might help...

havin' read what you've put, and the 'portuguese' link added...

i think you might be onto something here, about what our game appears to be based upon...

but the difference 'tween us n' chelski is our midfielders need to have penetration into the box, and strike at goal...

mourinho has failed to 'effectively' replace drogba, and despite bringing in just about all he could, it just goes to show the formations limitations without the 'outstanding' c/f...