Carvalhal first official video interview.

First impressions are very good.

I ask you all what did we expect this summer??

We were never going to pay premiership wages because that would be stupid and one quick way to get ourselves in trouble.

Hand picking the top Championship players was always going to be expensive for transfer fees, we are competing with too many clubs, newly promoted prem teams, relegated prem teams and plenty of other clubs in the championship still receiving parachute payments.

The above is an expensive and competitive market.

We are looking at players who fit into the lower prem, upper champ bracket but paying a lot less.

Plenty of homework must be done on these players to work out why they haven't made it yet because the risk is a few bad eggs.

Surely we can do that in the domestic market too? We did it with the likes of lees, Antonio, Westwood, Kirkland etc Edited by Bluesteel

He comes across really well.

Good english.

The transfer policy is euro club reserve freebies though. Whether that means high calibre players or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Beholder

Guest mrbluesky

The recruitment strategy he speaks about sounds like Moneyball to me.

Cheap, out of favour players who in theory can bring a lot. Could be very exciting (or a hideous mess). lol

Mmm sounds familiar.

Aside from my concern of Roeders role in the committee (hopefully it's just scouting) ...

My concern about Carvalhals appointment, is that he doesn't stick around for more than 12 months

So it was good to hear him talking longer term ... Hopefully Chansiri gives him more of a chance, than he did Gray

Shirley Valentines the lot of yer!

Charm, foreign accent, you drop your knickers and dive in. Holiday romance that will end with the summer and fall like the autumn leaves

Cult members prefer the rugged home spun values of the loyal, the proven, the steadfast, the heart of a Wednesdayite

gary megson

#unfinishedpieandpeas

#toohotforagingernuttomight

Very reassuring interview. I'm excited.

My take on his comments regarding transfers is that we're going to be trying to make more Tom Lees-like signings, players who have already shown their ability/potential somewhere else but have fallen out of favour for whatever reason. 

The key difference though, is that instead of looking for hidden talent at clubs like Leeds, we seem to be targeting sides around the Europa League level.

Not every signing will be a success, sure, but I do like the sound of that approach. 

Very reassuring interview. I'm excited.

My take on his comments regarding transfers is that we're going to be trying to make more Tom Lees-like signings, players who have already shown their ability/potential somewhere else but have fallen out of favour for whatever reason. 

The key difference though, is that instead of looking for hidden talent at clubs like Leeds, we seem to be targeting sides around the Europa League level.

Not every signing will be a success, sure, but I do like the sound of that approach. 

Lees had played many games in this league and was a good age.

The ones we are signing have barely played at all.

Alan Irvine gave a great interview when he took over. If this guy builds something at Hillsborough it'll be the first time ever for him. Fingers crossed it works out and "he'll have my full support" but don't expect miracles on the basis of a friendly interview.

Every new manager or coach gives a good first interview because they tell you what you want to hear. Let's see what happens and what exactly the players we bring in are. One mention of massive and your all exploding over your screens. Fickle lot lol

Every new manager or coach gives a good first interview because they tell you what you want to hear. Let's see what happens and what exactly the players we bring in are. One mention of massive and your all exploding over your screens. Fickle lot lol

Pretty sure Chris Turner spoke of planning for life in the 3rd division when he took over with half of the season in division 2 left, inspirational stuff!

Carvalhal seems really positive and was good to see him take a hands on approach in the 1st session back, puzzling how it took the club until literally the 11th hour on the eve of pre-season to officially announce him.

Chris Turner said he would have us in Europe in 5 years in his first interview ffs.

Yes but he also said that could be achieved by the club bottoming out and working it's way there from the old 2nd division: 'Five years is a bit of leeway,  It would take us that amount of time to get out of the Second, consolidate our position in the First, and then make a bid for the Prem. That’s the goal.'

Everything else at that time was full of negativity, the board even told him not to panic as they din't expect any positive results from the 1st three games due to the standard of the opposition! 

I asked Trev and he said no!!

Legend!  :manager:

We were never going to pay premiership wages because that would be stupid and one quick way to get ourselves in trouble.

Hand picking the top Championship players was always going to be expensive for transfer fees, we are competing with too many clubs, newly promoted prem teams, relegated prem teams and plenty of other clubs in the championship still receiving parachute payments.

The above is an expensive and competitive market.

We are looking at players who fit into the lower prem, upper champ bracket but paying a lot less.

Plenty of homework must be done on these players to work out why they haven't made it yet because the risk is a few bad eggs.

Spot on. Couldn't agree more with all of that. The end result is cheaper quality players, but more risk as they haven't done their stuff in England yet. We'd rather take that risk than spending way over the odds for Championship players, and would probably lose out to the relegated prem teams anyway.

Guest mrbluesky

Hand picking the top Championship players was always going to be expensive for transfer fees, we are competing with too many clubs, newly promoted prem teams, relegated prem teams and plenty of other clubs in the championship still receiving parachute payments.

The above is an expensive and competitive market.

I can't imagine anybody thought we'd be spending Premiership money, the problem being when the chairman says "Premiership in 2 years" that's a statement of intent right there!you don't expect to be signing 2 players in their prime plying.their trade at what really is a poor level of football and not getting much game time at that.

We've been here before trying our luck on foreign imports and failing miserabley, ask yourself what little gems has our new coach picked up though his mangerial career?

Let's be clear we have tried to reach the promise land on the cheap it's never worked, you need to have a budget that equals the top 6 or somewhere near, whether that be in wages or transfer fee, maybe this is what's planned but listening to our new coach he seems to imply that we will be picking up players whom haven't quite clicked/ found their feet at other clubs and we seriously think there isn't a 1000 other clubs doing this?

The other option is to build the club up from grassroots but this can fail and be a massive gamble.

It's not being about negative it's about being a realist( no not our resident Wordsworth)

Like I said when we were bought out during the season the chairman said 2 years to get to the Premiership, we were all doing somersaults on the money we were going to spend, who we were going to buy and then there was a new pitch a scoreboard, "crikey it's really happening!!"

Or so we think.

Nobody but nobody thought we'd have the set up we now have, deflated? Defiantly, I will be right behind this new era but and its a big but I reserve judgement and things may improve, We have come out the traps at a cantor not a sprint and that's where it's worrying.

Good first interview. Obviously will be asked more pressing questions at the press conference, but quite impressed with how he came across, quite calm, not complacent it seems about the Championship, and his English is very good.

Welcome aboard Carlos.