Most influential Premier League foreign signings.

Guest trusty_left_peg

Thierry Henry?

This. Not only employed by Sky, but Arsenal fans seem to hijack any poll/Twitter campaign going.

Eric Cantona, Dennis Bergkamp, David Ginola, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Cristiano Ronaldo, Robin Van Persie, Thierry Henry.

Wednesday's are probably - Marc Degryse, Paolo Di Canio, Benito Carbone, Niclas Alexandersson.

Rolly?

Cantona for me, it could be argued that at the when time foreign imports to the game consisted of the likes of Jan Age Fjortoft and Erland Johnsen, Cantona set the scene for the other greats such as Zola and Bergkamp to follow

I guess he epitomised what the premier league wanted to be and he added some glamour and cutting edge. Unfortunately it also opened the doors to some absolute dross gracing "the greatest league in the world", as to what it's done for the England national team.....well that's another topic altogether

He was a class act old Eric. Strutting about with his his jutting chest and gaelic impudence.

Preparing myself to be shot down in flames here.

But I do wonder if his impact would have been as big had he not been at Manchester United.

I think that particular stage suited him. They really were built around him. And the manager seemed to let him have a bit of leniency that he never afforded many others. 

Before the first word bullets hit me, I'm just saying that I see a player like Zola and I think he would have done the same job at Arsenal, Liverpool, wherever.  But I think Cantona needed to be at the biggest club with the most to play for. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

He was a class act old Eric. Strutting about with his his jutting chest and gaelic impudence.

Preparing myself to be shot down in flames here.

But I do wonder if his impact would have been as big had he not been at Manchester United.

I think that particular stage suited him. They really were built around him. And the manager seemed to let him have a bit of leniency that he never afforded many others. 

Before the first word bullets hit me, I'm just saying that I see a player like Zola and I think he would have done the same job at Arsenal, Liverpool, wherever.  But I think Cantona needed to be at the biggest club with the most to play for. 

The idea that he won Leeds the title is fanciful also.

The idea that he won Leeds the title is fanciful also.

Having spoke to some of the chaps there I gather that the team spirit was not quite the same when Eric was on board.

I gather there was only really Batty who took to him, and that was mainly because like Eric he wasn't a fan of The Sarges fitness regime and was glad he had found a willing compadre in the moaning stakes.