Most influential Premier League foreign signings.

An area we cocked up badly. PDC and Carbone were our opportunity to move forward again and attract more players to the club but Wilson / Richards preferred the Danny Sonner, Barry Horne approach..

That bit on Di Canios book where he says Wilson pulled him into the office and said "Don't worry Paolo, it won't be the same next year I've got a couple of top Internationals coming..... O'Donnell and Donnelly. 

You can sense the anger coming off the pages!

That said PDC's book does having a running theme. Every one of his 10 clubs someone comes in and ruins it for him by being impossible to work with.

You do wonder if the chap ever looked in the mirror and asked himself the  question why he had so much trouble.

He was a class act old Eric. Strutting about with his his jutting chest and gaelic impudence.

Preparing myself to be shot down in flames here.

But I do wonder if his impact would have been as big had he not been at Manchester United.

I think that particular stage suited him. They really were built around him. And the manager seemed to let him have a bit of leniency that he never afforded many others. 

Before the first word bullets hit me, I'm just saying that I see a player like Zola and I think he would have done the same job at Arsenal, Liverpool, wherever.  But I think Cantona needed to be at the biggest club with the most to play for. 

Haven't you just succinctly described why Cantona WAS the biggest influence?

A club that needed him and a club he needed to be at

Imo he seemed to galvanise that talented bunch of kids from a promising erratic team into a team of winners with steely belief

Haven't you just succinctly described why Cantona WAS the biggest influence?

A club that needed him and a club he needed to be at

Imo he seemed to galvanise that talented bunch of kids from a promising erratic team into a team of winners with steely belief

Perhaps I have Scram. Think it might well  have.

Whether he was the best Foreign import is still open to debate.

But yes. In terms of influence I do believe he was.

Cantona certainly did seem to help those kids. Though it has to be said they were a remarkable group anyway.

Perhaps when they are interviewed and say "Eric was the biggest influence" they actually meant Harrison and not Cantona though!!  ;-)

I still expect Bergkamp to do well on account of playing for The Arsenal.

I wonder if any defensive players will do well in this list.  

Perhaps I have Scram. Think it might well have.

Whether he was the best Foreign import is still open to debate.

But yes. In terms of influence I do believe he was.

Cantona certainly did seem to help those kids. Though it has to be said they were a remarkable group anyway.

Perhaps when they are interviewed and say "Eric was the biggest influence" they actually meant Harrison and not Cantona though!! ;-)

I still expect Bergkamp to do well on account of playing for The Arsenal.

I wonder if any defensive players will do well in this list.

I agree he wasn't the best - but probably was most influential

In terms of the best id have Henry above him all day long

In terms of defensive players it's more difficult - been some top keepers obviously - Schmeical and Cech for sure

Maybe not totally defensive but I think Vieira would be a shout

Probably most underrated would be Gilberto Silva - Arsenal hugely struggled after he went

Edited by scram

I agree he wasn't the best - but probably was most influential

In terms of the best id have Henry above him all day long

In terms of defensive players it's more difficult - been some top keepers obviously - Schmeical and Cech for sure

Maybe not totally defensive but I think Vieira would be a shout

Probably most underrated would be Gilberto Silva - Arsenal hugely struggled after he went

As far as I'm concerned Arsenal have never recovered from the loss of Silva and Vieira. 

I think the fact they signed Flamini to replace......erm Flamini shows how much they lack in that area of expertise.

Vieira for me was top class. They had that well drilled Graham back four that flair up top but Vieira for me was the  absolute heart-beat. 

(Honourable nod to Petit who doesn't seem to get the plaudits he should. Maybe it was the Los Angeles  glam-funk baseplayer hair which put people off. ) 

For whatever reason old Arsene the stubborn Alsation that he is doesn't seem to have wanted to address it.

In terms of goalkeepers. I have a slight edging towards Czech. I can't put my finger on it. But somehow in my mind he edges it as a keeper.

But... Schmeical. There was something about his personalty on the pitch which made him something more than just and excellent keeper. There was that steely minded ferociousness. I mean, I actually hated the man at times, and as an opposing fan i think that speaks volumes on it's own!

Henry to me was a World Class talent. 

I have a theory about players with long shin bones and if I ever sober up enough then he'd be the example I'd use to prove my point...

Edited by Lord Snooty