The worst traits of Wednesday fans

27 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i was understanding that the owner wanted to take us into the premier within a certain time period...

if we intend to go along with that, then we need to improve year on year, and not take too long to do so...

dc has it seemed thought that 'this year' would be the year to do it in, however...

the relegation of such giants as newcastle, villa, and norwich has no doubt raised a question mark over the issue...

adding a further year to 'the push for the prem' will be acceptable no doubt, but costly...

however with any further delays adding up that may prove to be too costly...

dc will have set a sum aside to achieve this 'project' in, should that sum, and any possible 'back up' fund be extinguished due to the spending going over further years than planned...

will that be worth 'clapping'?

DC set the target of promotion by the end of this season to coincide with the anniversary. I thought it was an ambitious and unrealistic target but if he'd have said 'promotion within 5 years' he'd have probably got criticised for not being ambitious enough.

You're in a no win situation in many ways as a football club chairman because you're never going to please everyone as I'm sure he's already found out in the 18 months or so he's been here.

Derby and Brighton have been challenging for years and are still in the championship. It took Middlesborough 3 years or so to get to where they wanted to be. It's hard to get promoted and it'll get harder with the teams who are relegated from the prem coming down with the finances they have as we have seen particularly this season.

All we can do is have a go at achieving promotion. If it has to be within a budget then that's where we are. Personally after the Dave Allen years in particular, I'm quite happy with where we are now.

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

DC set the target of promotion by the end of this season to coincide with the anniversary. I thought it was an ambitious and unrealistic target but if he'd have said 'promotion within 5 years' he'd have probably got criticised for not being ambitious enough.

You're in a no win situation in many ways as a football club chairman because you're never going to please everyone as I'm sure he's already found out in the 18 months or so he's been here.

Derby and Brighton have been challenging for years and are still in the championship. It took Middlesborough 3 years or so to get to where they wanted to be. It's hard to get promoted and it'll get harder with the teams who are relegated from the prem coming down with the finances they have as we have seen particularly this season.

All we can do is have a go at achieving promotion. If it has to be within a budget then that's where we are. Personally after the Dave Allen years in particular, I'm quite happy with where we are now.

of course there's no one doubting we are in a better position that we have been for some time...

however dc can and will only fund this project for a limited period of time...

The worst thing that has annoyed me recently is seeing any speculation/opinion or anything written on the internet as fact.

Didn't Mark Bright complain about the gossip surrounding Sheffield Wednesday in the early 90's?  That was before the internet in which where you can have a sh@tstorm every day.

It's going to put a lot of pressure on Carlos when Radio Sheffield start to relay back to him what sh@te has been written about him and the team.

1 minute ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

The worst thing that has annoyed me recently is seeing any speculation/opinion or anything written on the internet as fact.

Didn't Mark Bright complain about the gossip surrounding Sheffield Wednesday in the early 90's?  That was before the internet in which where you can have a sh@tstorm every day.

It's going to put a lot of pressure on Carlos when Radio Sheffield start to relay back to him what sh@te has been written about him and the team.

i hope they ask him IF he's ever had a plan 'B'...

1 minute ago, dnhc said:

i hope they ask him IF he's ever had a plan 'B'...

Think he thinks more in making decisions as the game goes in detail rather than one second plan...thats how he would defend himself anyway...not defending him but you can tell how much thought he has put into it..

9 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Think he thinks more in making decisions as the game goes in detail rather than one second plan...thats how he would defend himself anyway...not defending him but you can tell how much thought he has put into it..

football is like so many other games, generally speaking everything that can be done, has been done at one time or another...

carlos's sides seem to prefer to start slow, and inject some life into the game in the second half after his interval input...

i've always thought that ensuring you were secure at the back in the early part of the game was essential...

but not to the total detriment of virtually any attacking intent, and wasting 45 minutes of time that you could attack your opponents in...

he should have numerous options available to him a seasoned coach that he can pull out of his bag to relate to any scenario...

tiptap cannot, and is not always the way or every side in the world would be doing only that...

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 10:52, daveyboy66 said:

Steve Parish Palace Chairman...

“I have a deep-seated belief that each football club creates its own reality,†Parish says. “You are what you are, in our case a yo-yo club, perennial underachievers. You kind of attract people who like that, whether they work for you or support the club, and that is a self-fulfilling prophecy. For me that is why you see the status quo maintained among clubs for so long.

It’s a psychological barrier and a reality that football clubs have created for themselves.

“You need to try to change that and it is really difficult. The first thing we needed to do was pull some rabbits out the hat, get to the Premier League and stay there. We have achieved that in a financially prudent way. Then you need to do that Atletico Madrid thing. You can’t just do that with the players on the pitch, you have to change everyone’s belief system.

That's the task facing DC...but I think he already knows that hence the drastic overhaul of the club...we've got to do our bit and move out of the comfort zone we've been in and change our self belief..it can be done...if teams like Swansea, Southampton and Palace (FFS) can do we surely can

So..do people think we are capable of changing our self belief ? Personally I think people are still happier with failure...because it takes courage to aim to be better and to be perfectly honest and especially on this site it's easier than putting your head above the parapet and striving for better. I have to say that the majority of people who I go to the match with have embraced what DC and CC are trying to do...for me personally I'm always looking at the positives in life because if you focus on looking for the negatives you end up wasting time on issues that you can't do anything about...glass half full definately

On 6/13/2015 at 14:09, modboy said:

If swfc fans have been abusing the Portuguese bloke on twitter it's all rather embarrassing

Well that does need to stop. 

Is that what this post is all about? I don't recall reading that in the OP. 

For me a forum is a place to come celebrate and to vent. I just hope I/we don't go too far... 

3 minutes ago, dnhc said:

football is like so many other games, generally speaking everything that can be done, has been done at one time or another...

carlos's sides seem to prefer to start slow, and inject some life into the game in the second half after his interval input...

i've always thought that ensuring you were secure at the back in the early part of the game was essential...

but not to the total detriment of virtually any attacking intent, and wasting 45 minutes of time that you could attack your opponents in...

he should have numerous options available to him a seasoned coach that he can pull out of his bag to relate to any scenario...

tiptap cannot, and is not always the way or every side in the world would be doing only that...

He saw that last year and they started going more direct and lumping the ball into the box from out wide...we are still a team full of midgets..

Still think he's trying to work out the where, how and who of the team and how it all fits together...will take a bit of time..but we can agree there is some real quality in that squad.

Just now, HIGHERSTATE said:

He saw that last year and they started going more direct and lumping the ball into the box from out wide...we are still a team full of midgets..

Still think he's trying to work out the where, how and who of the team and how it all fits together...will take a bit of time..but we can agree there is some real quality in that squad.

Blending is an art-form

Just now, HIGHERSTATE said:

there is the quality there...

and he's paid to put it all together...

it's no use lumping the ball into the box if you've no one capable of gettin' on the end of it, and nuhiu just isn't that type of c/f...

it seems every time he encounters a problem he needs more, and more players, instead of sorting it with more and more tactics...

On 6/13/2015 at 11:12, Lord Nilsson said:

Deluded - some of the suggestions made about potential signings and managerial appointments suggest we think we are far bigger than we really are.  

Arrogant - this is linked to deluded.  We seem to think we are Barcelona or something.  People on social media saying that managers and players who would never even want to manage/play for us in a million years aren't good enough is embarrassing. We seem to think we are Man City or something.

Aggressive and rude - instead of saying 'I have reservations about this guy's managerial record', people on twitter say 'This guy isn't wanted at S6 - he can roger off!'.  If people like Big Sam/Lambert read twitter, the attitude of fans on twitter must horrify them.  It seems at times they are just attention seekers trying to be as controversial as possible.

Gullible - lots of people take as gospel any foundless rumour they read then kick off about it.

Insular and change resistant - the pitch forks come out for anyone other than a Sheffielder or an ex player.  The starting point with anyone we don't know is that they are poo .  The outcry about Gray leaving would make you think he was the messiah. Arsenal fans said Arsene who? Who'd heard of the Watford and Boro managers last year?

Drama queens - some proper drama queens - people kicking off at present like we are on the brink of admin in the fourth division. Lack of signings means we're only going to have 7 players at the start of the season.

Reading this site and social media, you'd honestly think that the majority of Wednesday fans have a screw loose!  Other fans must think we are a right set of numpties.

I only read a few posts every now and then because of all the above.

Cringeworthy and embarrassing could be added to the list.

Being a Wednesdayite is like running a marathon, if I can use the analogy. I have run marathons and I am a true Wednesdayite.

Standing on the start line or just got underway, but not yet settled into the race, you are filled with trepidation,excitement,fear and anticipation. You are well prepared for the race, afterall your friends and family and every other person you know, has told you how its going to go. You've become well drilled, you've practiced, put the miles in, trudging painful mile after painful mile.

Having seen so many false dawns during various eras, Wednesdayites fear being left behind by many clubs, ones that used to be peer group clubs, they see the pack out in front and moving further away.

When we hit the "wall" and the pain is unbearable, but mostly in the mind, we panic. We've got to run through the tough times and believe we can do this.There are always going to be times of self doubt, but we should not allow others to see our weakness, or they may suffer too. Believe in our coach, he's done it before.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 11:12, Lord Nilsson said:

Deluded - some of the suggestions made about potential signings and managerial appointments suggest we think we are far bigger than we really are.  

Arrogant - this is linked to deluded.  We seem to think we are Barcelona or something.  People on social media saying that managers and players who would never even want to manage/play for us in a million years aren't good enough is embarrassing. We seem to think we are Man City or something.

Aggressive and rude - instead of saying 'I have reservations about this guy's managerial record', people on twitter say 'This guy isn't wanted at S6 - he can roger off!'.  If people like Big Sam/Lambert read twitter, the attitude of fans on twitter must horrify them.  It seems at times they are just attention seekers trying to be as controversial as possible.

Gullible - lots of people take as gospel any foundless rumour they read then kick off about it.

Insular and change resistant - the pitch forks come out for anyone other than a Sheffielder or an ex player.  The starting point with anyone we don't know is that they are poo .  The outcry about Gray leaving would make you think he was the messiah. Arsenal fans said Arsene who? Who'd heard of the Watford and Boro managers last year?

Drama queens - some proper drama queens - people kicking off at present like we are on the brink of admin in the fourth division. Lack of signings means we're only going to have 7 players at the start of the season.

Reading this site and social media, you'd honestly think that the majority of Wednesday fans have a screw loose!  Other fans must think we are a right set of numpties.

We have some genii, it must be said, but oh, so many g0bshites. Your list is good, Lord N, but I would add foulmouthed, offensive and intemperate, as well. I often think : "Well, if we lose today, it's going to hurt an unbalanced psycho like you a lot more than it will me." That's a comforting thought. Not a clean, healthy, Christian, comforting thought - but a comforting thought, nevertheless.

On 6/13/2015 at 11:26, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And our best trait?

Passionate: no matter how it manifests itself, and God knows we don't all see eye to eye on many issues, the one thing that binds us all together as Owls is the love we feel for our club. No matter how vehemently we may disagree, I think some of us would do well to remember that ultimately we all want the same thing: a successful Sheffield Wednesday.

hooray THIS

On 13 June 2015 at 11:12, Lord Nilsson said:

No different to any other modern day football fanbase with the opportunity to vent at any given time on any given subject. The reality is that there are a lot of self-proclaimed experts who now have the platform to spurt self-opinions based on little more than their own emotions and anger. For me, it's just a matter of sieving through the bullshit. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

Guest white kanu
On 13 June 2015 at 11:23, damianb1 said:

Good points, I'd heard of Katanga before, used to play for Real Madrid IIRC.

Isn't what Lenny Henry used to say?

During the Brighton game we went on the north near the leps. There was a  kid off his head running up and down the stairs shouting 'were not going to lose to this bunch of nonces are we' at people and refused to go to his seat...

Personally I like Brighton as a place..

Edited by HIGHERSTATE