Is Bucky playing his way into a new contract?

Guest wilyfox

Buxton and Zayatte will be difficult decisions for Gray. At a push, I might keep one - but not both.

In all honesty, I think Gray showed his take on injury-prone players when he released Reda. After two consecutive injury-plagued seasons, your number's probably up; Buxton and Zayatte have both had that now.

Buxton and Vermijl at RB

Palmer back to RM.

Never as easy as just saying that but, it's possible. Having the experience at RB there would be no issues with the overlap down the right hand side. I know a few don't think Liam is that good in the RM position.

and he's no good at RB either

Buxton and Zayatte will be difficult decisions for Gray. At a push, I might keep one - but not both.

In all honesty, I think Gray showed his take on injury-prone players when he released Reda. After two consecutive injury-plagued seasons, your number's probably up; Buxton and Zayatte have both had that now.

Gray was ruthless last year, but Reda was genuinely injury prone. picking up the same injuries, playing when not fully fit, AND I think Gray wanted a more steady defender than Reda.

Zayette is a solid option, and has proved a brilliant replacement for Loovens. Finding reliable centre halves are easier said than done. We've had so many over the years that just look awful when called upon.

The fact remains, if a club wants to build and progress, you have to keep your better players. Buxton & Zayette are among our better players, and in my opinion, should be offered a deal. Whether the deal isn't as juicy as their current ones (based on previous availability), is a decision the club makes.

You have to wonder if reda's injuries are the reason he didn't get a new deal though. Maybe gray just didn't rate him. I mean, why get rid of reda because of his injuries and then sign hutchinson?

Been impressed with Buxton since his comeback, Its not just his ability to cross..its him knowing WHEN to cross...One of Palmers main drawbacks in that department is the aimless crossing of the ball to nowhere from just over the halfway line....Buxton always has an eye for someone running in..If not he goes for the by-line.

If anyone thinks Chansiri is gonna fork out on a whole new squad apart from the likely candidates..Westwood , Loovens , Lees McGugan...etc...I think they are going to be disappointed.

Its been a strange season in a lot of senses...Yesterdays battling display, beating 'Boro home and away , chances missed at home that equate to at least another 9 points...and glaring chances at that...then the meek rolling over at Fulham, Norwich, Wolves etc...

I was impressed yesterday, it would have been a doddle to for Wednesday to roll over...especially when the second went in, but they didn't..same at Toytown...

We have the spirit within the current squad..The talent needs tweaking, ..Buxton?..I'd risk another year

Guest wilyfox

You have to wonder if reda's injuries are the reason he didn't get a new deal though. Maybe gray just didn't rate him. I mean, why get rid of reda because of his injuries and then sign hutchinson?

Hutch played a fair number of games on loan here to prove fitness first. Perhaps Gray felt a change of club and a lower level might go easier on Sam's body. A different regime can bring a change of fortune sometimes. And Gray did play Reda when he was available, despite having both Helan and Mattock also available. So I wouldn't say he didn't rate him.

Guest wilyfox

Gray was ruthless last year, but Reda was genuinely injury prone. picking up the same injuries, playing when not fully fit.

And Zayatte isn't? He was out for 6months+ with an ankle injury last year, and has had 3 hamstring injuries this term that I'm aware of. That's a recurring problem.

Buxton has missed at least half of the last two seasons as well. That can't be ignored either.

And Zayatte isn't? He was out for 6months+ with an ankle injury last year, and has had 3 hamstring injuries this term that I'm aware of. That's a recurring problem.

Buxton has missed at least half of the last two seasons as well. That can't be ignored either.

Through separate injuries though. 

Zayatte is a walking hamstring problem which makes me wary of offering him a contract.

Buxton has just been unlucky, as far as I'm aware. He barely picked up a knock until last season.

Guest wilyfox

Through separate injuries though. 

Zayatte is a walking hamstring problem which makes me wary of offering him a contract.

Buxton has just been unlucky, as far as I'm aware. He barely picked up a knock until last season.

But, since his injuries started as he turned 30, I'd be concerned that is a sign of things to come with Lewis; a long career beginning to take it's toll on his body. He's played a lot of football for us over the years, often running in excess of 10k each game. Just because they are not recurring injuries doesn't allay my fears. May be one thing after another from here on in..

But, since his injuries started as he turned 30, I'd be concerned that is a sign of things to come with Lewis; a long career beginning to take it's toll on his body. He's played a lot of football for us over the years, often running in excess of 10k each game. Just because they are not recurring injuries doesn't allay my fears. May be one thing after another from here on in..

It COULD be, but it could just be an unlucky period in his career where he's picked up a couple of injuries.

Had we been under the financial restrictions we were when Mandaric was here, I'd be inclined to agree with you, and not risk it. BUT, we won't be, and although our wage budget won't be limitless, I'm sure Buxton's wage (which I'm sure will be reduced given his age, and injury record in the last 18 months) won't impact greatly. 

The fact remains, he's by far our best option at right back, offers great versatility across the back line, and would add a dimension to our forward play we just haven't seen enough of, with Vermijl or Palmer. 

There's no doubt there'd be a risk involved, and to be honest, an opinion either way isn't unreasonable. But, in the last three games, despite lacking match sharpness, Buxton has looked a class act. Releasing him could be a costly move. I'd rather take the risk, and have him at Hillsborough for another year.

Same goes for Zayette.

It COULD be, but it could just be an unlucky period in his career where he's picked up a couple of injuries.

Had we been under the financial restrictions we were when Mandaric was here, I'd be inclined to agree with you, and not risk it. BUT, we won't be, and although our wage budget won't be limitless, I'm sure Buxton's wage (which I'm sure will be reduced given his age, and injury record in the last 18 months) won't impact greatly. 

The fact remains, he's by far our best option at right back, offers great versatility across the back line, and would add a dimension to our forward play we just haven't seen enough of, with Vermijl or Palmer. 

There's no doubt there'd be a risk involved, and to be honest, an opinion either way isn't unreasonable. But, in the last three games, despite lacking match sharpness, Buxton has looked a class act. Releasing him could be a costly move. I'd rather take the risk, and have him at Hillsborough for another year.

Same goes for Zayette.

I can't see how anyone can argue with this reasoning.

Only possible objection would be Buxton wanting more than one year.