Would anyone like to see...

I think they should only play if they're good enough. Why play them if not?

Sometimes though you just don't know if they're good enough until they play big boys football.

That's why you see so many players make their senior debuts but never make a proper break into the side.

Rocky Lekaj. Absolutely raved about by our academy....we thought we had a player on our hands. 

He made a handful of appearances for us over a few years. Was released and never heard of again. Couldn't handle this level of football regardless of the promise he showed.

I believe that no one truly knows when a player is ready to make the step up. But young lads, like Stobbs, need an opportunity to shine sooner or later, otherwise their contracts run out and it's a bit of a waste. Leeds are doing well with giving their young lads a chance. Over the years we've seen Tom Lees, Jonny Howson and Sam Byram begin to carve out cracking careers for themselves. More recently we've seen Alex Mowatt, Charlie Taylor make their big breaks into the first team. Mowatt looking particularly impressive. They all got their chance after having good spells for their under 21 sides. Sticking with Leeds they've also had players make their senior debuts and have to be put back into the under 21s because they're not quite ready, Chris Dawson and Zac Thompson made a handful of appearances each but it was judged that they needed more time to develop. So even the experts get it wrong. No one really knows when a player is ready...it's half luck and half patience. 

I think Penney is waaaay too raw to throw in for the final few games, though I could be completely off the mark. Stobbs would be interesting to see come off the bench for the final 3 games though.

Likes of Stobbs and Penney get plaće on the bench for last couple of games ? With not much toplay for it would be great opportunity to give ccouple of very talented youngsters some precious experience early in their careers with us.

Oh, for God's sake! When I saw the OP, I thought it was going to be something like : "Would anyone like to see Amanda Holden with her clothes off". That's the only reason I clicked on this. Wish I hadn't.

Yep agree with the OP.  

Would be nice to see the development players given a run out in the final few games.

The chances of it happening though are quite slim, as the competition for places is pretty high at the moment.  

With big games coming up, can't see Gray going for it imo.  

If Corry, McCabe, Floro, etc. can't get a game in the last few matches then we need to get rid. Nevermind the other lads

Better sending the younger lads out on loan

It's pretty old school to play the youngsters in the last few games, it's a squad game now and a lot of players should be fighting for a new contract

Here's a scenario.

Next season we're in 3rd place with 3 games remaining. We have to win all 3 games but also rely on teams who's seasons have finished to give a good and fair account of themselves against our promotion rivals. There'd be absolute uproar on here if say.....Charlton decided to take their foot off the gas and blood through several youngsters against a promotion rival of ours, and let them romp to a 6-0 win condemning us to a play off place...potentially ruining our chances of promotion altogether.

We may have nothing to play for but we have a massive say in the promotion race and have already put Brentford to the sword. To ensure that the best teams get what they deserve we have to play our best available eleven. These things can come back to bite you on the backside.

Stobbs can appear from the bench, I'd be fine with that. But there's still points to play for and we should be looking to finish as high as possible. I'm all for bringing young lads through, but that should be started in preseason....not at the end of the season when we've got two games against top 3 opposition, with a Yorkshire derby sandwiched inbetween.

Yes there would be an uproar and it would suck balls but why should Sheffiled Wednesday do it when there is no guarantee others would? Do the best of Sheffied Wednesday all the time imo. Other teams will get what they deserve, the table doesn't lie n all that crap. They will finish the season where they deserve to.

I agree the best time to do it is pre season but if anyone is potentially ready then get them in the squad now. I don't really believe in doing it just for the sake of it though.

I just don't get at what point in the season we are allowed to bring in youngsters and actually give lads experience. All the way through the season it could be argued that a team played a couple of weaker players. You're just highlighting it because it's the end of the season.

Honest question, if you were the boss and with 3 games left there is little to play for and you could give some youngsters some much needed experience would you really even think about other teams? Last game of the season years ago when Man U beat Hull 1-0 they rested loads of players and played some of the kids. Ferguson did what's best for them. I can't remmeber who but I remember When United went down and a team rested players vs one of their rivals and they won. It's rubbish for the sides that lose out but as I said before I don't care about them it's all about our club.

Here's a scenario.

Next season we're in 3rd place with 3 games remaining. We have to win all 3 games but also rely on teams who's seasons have finished to give a good and fair account of themselves against our promotion rivals. There'd be absolute uproar on here if say.....Charlton decided to take their foot off the gas and blood through several youngsters against a promotion rival of ours, and let them romp to a 6-0 win condemning us to a play off place...potentially ruining our chances of promotion altogether.

We may have nothing to play for but we have a massive say in the promotion race and have already put Brentford to the sword. To ensure that the best teams get what they deserve we have to play our best available eleven. These things can come back to bite you on the backside.

Stobbs can appear from the bench, I'd be fine with that. But there's still points to play for and we should be looking to finish as high as possible. I'm all for bringing young lads through, but that should be started in preseason....not at the end of the season when we've got two games against top 3 opposition, with a Yorkshire derby sandwiched inbetween.

Few thousand ifs and buts. Couldn't care less about other teams.

Guest wilyfox

Only if they're good enough. I'd like to see homegrown talent break through as much as the next person, but not if they'd get mauled.

Why not give them a chance. We really have nothing at all to lose. Stobbs and Lavery know each other well from the development squad and with Isgrove on the left we could have two wingers on the pitch who can cross.

I don't see the clamour for youngsters to get there place on the bench, in the last couple of games of the season.

We did it last year with Stobbs, but where's it got him? He's not got anywhere near the first team side despite us playing a full season lacking serious numbers (and some would say, quality) in the wide areas.

Surely if these lads are good enough, they'd get the places on the bench, and more importantly, the first team, throughout the season, not just for a couple of games when the seasons fizzling out, as a token gesture.

Don't take this as a post lamenting the usage of academy players, because I'd love us to get some of our own products through and into the first team. But, surely we haven't got any currently, that cut the mustard. So why expose them to the first team, when they clearly aren't ready (like Stobbs appeared last year)?

Bang on.

We have 3 tough game coming up and it would be nonsense to throw in these kids

Guest wilyfox

We won't know if they're good enough if they don't get a chance

We won't, but Gray will. The dev squad often join the seniors in training.

No. Neither have done much for the u21's. u18's is a different world to u21's never mind the first team.

On a related theme, they should get rid of Dev Squads and go back to reserve leagues (except in the Premier as it's a waste of time either way at that level). Older players involved actually help develop younger players. Get rid of the 3 over 21 rule. The younger players learn the subtle arts of pro football from experienced pros never mind the physical aspect.

Rather we focused on getting as high up the league as we can, which is usually a result of putting out your best team. Will generate a few extra quid too.

Not only that, imagine what it would do to confidence if Watford and/or Bournemouth smashed us - which is quite possible given their form - not a great way to end a decent season.

Get the youngsters out on loan when ever possible - it works wonders for players with the right attitude, see Lavery as a prime example.

Oh, and as someone else pointed out - we have to be fair to the rest of the promotion contenders and field our strongest possible team.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you