Away Days in the 80's

Guest Deleted member

This is unexpected. A good thread on owlstalk in the summer. :)

Some great memories. Some scary memories!!!!! Fills me with pride and fear. Seeing those bricks flying in Cardiff and through the coach window in am West Ham were not pleasant.

From the happiness of winning quarter finals and games against the big boys to the tears after losing the semi finals.

Great thread

Guest Deleted member

I was on that train Utah. Think it was about 2am when we finally made it back to Sheffield, cold and wet after it threw it down the whole game at Portsmouth, and we weren't under cover.

The club offered us our money back, but I used mine to pay for another trip

We went down on that train. I was wearing this big mohair jumber which was very furry,as was the style back then. When it chucked it down throughout the game it got saturated and ended up weighing only slightly less then Jupiter.

We were allowed to shelter on their Kop after the game as it had a roof, but it was a little late by then.

I think that was the game megson scored a 30 yard screamer for the winner.

One that I enjoyed was at Luton where we won 3-0 (Megson, Mc Culloch and Bannister.) They had won their first 3 games and so had we, Match of the Day were there, and Curren played a blinder and the press were suggesting that he might be worth an England spot. Him and Bannister ran them ragged, Smith and Shirtcliff were rocks at the back... loved it. One paper wrote "even Eric Morcombe would have struggled to raise a laugh after this performance "

Lost our next game 3-0 at home to Wrexham!!

Once on a trip darn sarf the Wombwell coach got overtaken on the M1 by a mini bus full of Newcastle fans who started throwing cans etc at us. 0n a bit of a steep hill we were able to overtake them and pull in front at which point Boothy the driver told one of the lads to pull on the handle under the coaches toilet spewing the entire contents back under the bus and all over the geordies who had their windows open. Bog roll streamers. sh*t and p*ss all over, funniest thing ive ever seen.

the Manure dambusters episode was the league cup first leg 13/2/1994, (just checked my bail sheet) :ph34r:

remember going to grimsby (gettin' in late as usual no turnstiles open, expecting about 1000 away suport) big turnout again...

we were fenced in (nothin' new there) and stood just a few yards away were these two young grimsby supporters up as close as they could get, feeling secure behind the wire fence, havin' i lil' sing to themselves...

anyway after 'bout half an hour they took the lead, there support started givin' it some...

and these two lil' uns joined in, when...

up comes the roar from the wednesday support "COME FOR THE FIGHTIN', WE'VE ONLY COME FOR THE FIGHTIN'...

well the horrific look on these two youngs un's faces was a picture i can still see this day, the pair of them looked like they shat themselves... :tango:

Once on a trip darn sarf the Wombwell coach got overtaken on the M1 by a mini bus full of Newcastle fans who started throwing cans etc at us. 0n a bit of a steep hill we were able to overtake them and pull in front at which point Boothy the driver told one of the lads to pull on the handle under the coaches toilet spewing the entire contents back under the bus and all over the geordies who had their windows open. Bog roll streamers. sh*t and p*ss all over, funniest thing ive ever seen.

the Manure dambusters episode was the league cup first leg 13/2/1994, (just checked my bail sheet) :ph34r:

what did they call the blond haired guy who used to go with the anglers, did his dad have the vic at darfield?

he got locked up in torquay the night before the exeter game for knocking someone off a scooter on the pier...

We went down onwas  that train. I was wearing this big mohair jumber which was very furry,as was the style back then. When it chucked it down throughout the game it got saturated and ended up weighing only slightly less then Jupiter.

We were allowed to shelter on their Kop after the game as it had a roof, but it was a little late by then.

I think thatforms s the game megson scored a 30 yard screamer for the winner.

35 yard deflected free kick with about 10 minutes to go. Was raining the whole length and breadth of the country!  Got so wet on the open end my coat was soaked all the way through and by the end of the match my programme was papier mache! 

Problem was caused by train taking Pompey fans home breaking down so they held us back rather than have a pitched battle on the station. By the time we left we were already two hours late and it just got worse. To top it all the train had no he.acting
so most of us stripped down to our undies to dry out!

Following week (Brighton away) I took a complete change of clothes just in case. It was 70 degrees and sunny!

Just so glad I am old enough to have experienced all this. It was very special.
Edited by Utah Owl

1867tons - were you a season ticket holder on the north stand in the early 80s (near half way line, about 3/4 of the way back)?  I can remember in the next game after that Cambridge game, the bloke sitting next to me pointing out in my programme that photo of them at Cambridge - was that you? Funny the things you remember..............

I was on that train Utah. Think it was about 2am when we finally made it back to Sheffield, cold and wet after it threw it down the whole game at Portsmouth, and we weren't under cover.

The club offered us our money back, but I used mine to pay for another trip

I was at that game too but don't remember being offered any money back. I don't see why they would to be honest. You can't blame them for the rain or the train breaking down. Great gesture if so.

I went to Brighton a week later too, as Utah mentioned, and our coach broke down outside London on the way back. I think it was about 3am we finally got back to Sheffield that time. Another coach finally picked us up but only took us right into the centre of London to wait for another one. The 2 wins made you forget the travel nightmares though.  :rolleyes:

I was at that game too but don't remember being offered any money back. I don't see why they would to be honest. You can't blame them for the rain or the train breaking down. Great gesture if so.

I went to Brighton a week later too, as Utah mentioned, and our coach broke down outside London on the way back. I think it was about 3am we finally got back to Sheffield that time. Another coach finally picked us up but only took us right into the centre of London to wait for another one. The 2 wins made you forget the travel nightmares though.  :rolleyes:

The cost for the ico was about 7.50 and they gave 5 quid back which as Nigel said most of us used to pay for another trip.

Steve Woodhead who organised everything on behalf of the club was always on the train and he saw how shabby our treatment was that day so presumably had a word. We travelled in big numbers so a gesture of goodwill like that ultimately benefitted all.
Edited by Utah Owl

The cost for the ico was about 7.50 and they gave 5 quid back which as Nigel said most of us used to pay for another trip.

My mate always bought the tickets and I paid him back when we met up (I was in the RAF and lived/worked all over the place but came home on weekends).

I think he owes me some money, the thieving get.  :biggrin:

Add inflation and it should pay for a good night out. lol

My mate always bought the tickets and I paid him back when we met up (I was in the RAF and lived/worked all over the place but came home on weekends).

I think he owes me some money, the thieving get.  :biggrin:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the infamous slow train from Portsmouth in October of '83.

Still remember it very well 32 years Later.G Megson scoring the winning Goal. .Got back into Sheffield about 2am in the Morning.  :biggrin:  gary megson  gary megson  gary megson

Steve Woodhead who organised everything on behalf of the club was always on the train and he saw how shabby our treatment was that day so presumably had a word. We travelled in big numbers so a gesture of goodwill like that ultimately benefitted all.

That's right Utah.

From Fratton station, we lost about 30-40 minutes with branches on the line (bet you remember the wind as well as the rain!).

So as soon as we got onto the more 'main' lines we had lost our 'path' and by the time we were in the Derby area we had to take a different route, as all the engineering overnight works had started.

I remember a lot of fans sat in their undies (male unfortunately) with jeans hanging from the racks trying to dry out.

Also remember a train back from Wolves once, stopping at Dronfield, and stopping. and stopping. Bloody thing broke down!

I remember going to the toilets at half-time at Portsmouth and it was absolutely packed in there. It must have been the only covered place available for a few minutes out of the rain.

I also remember meeting up with the players getting on their coach when they finally sent us to the other (covered) side of the ground. That would tell you how long we were stood on that rainy end after the match.