Away Days in the 80's

Guest Deleted member

Went to both semis. Great days out ruined by mediocre performances by the team. Remember some great banter in a pub with some Everton fans at Villa and the weather being glorious at Highbury

We weren't mediocre against Everton.

They were the best team in the country.

Blimey mate....I think I was stood within 5 feet of you for most of the 80's !

My first away match was Burnley away 0-0 and we brought them back to ours and did them 5-0 so about 1981 i'd guess?

I developed a lifelong hatred of scousers after that Liverpool match too, was waiting to get on the coach when the lad from stocksbridge (steve jenks?) was slashed on his back from his shoulder to his backside. If I remember rightly, it made into the star as he ended up getting 140 stitches. I was the lad who belted that scouser at the end of the coach with a road sign if anyone remembers that!.......and no. I dont regret it at all

Derby away when the ex pig tackled Hodge and knocked him spark out

Filbert street, favourite away ground of that era, atmosphere was unbelieveable.

Man City away at main road when we won 2-1, running down the kippax after the second goal and being sat on the coach going home seeing nothing but wednesday coaches all the way over woodhead.

I write this smiling, some of the best days of my life.

It was David Jenkins, who I think got slashed in the toilets in the ground.

Loads of great memories here.

Recall going to Chelsea away, late 80's, and my brother getting collared for trying to get in the ground with 3 darts in his pocket. Nothing malicious, but he'd been playing at the WMC the night before, and had left them in his jacket.

As a 16 year old I did every game in a season, home and away, and one thing that sticks out from that season was our poor away turn outs. We regularly only took a few hundred away, especially to London.

Not an away day but seems to fit in with some of these tales from the same era.

There is some footage of an Owls game versus Norwich, I think, and it's the last game of the season. Towards the end of the match, some kid from the Kop runs on the pitch and acrobatically tries to get on the end of a Wednesday cross. Possibly one of the funniest things I've seen!

Guest Fedor

Blimey, Southampton away, midweek, cup replay after a televised draw at home (0-0 I think)

Peter Shiltons wife had left him a few days before, and throughout the game we were singing 'Shilton, where's your wife?'

He had the last laugh though, as they beat us 5-1, after we'd taken an early lead.

Vaguely remember an away trip one night at Tottenham, think it may have been the last game of the season. Leaving the ground our coach window was smashed by a glass being thrown from a pub, we had to drive all the way back to Sheffield with no window...

If it was the same game as I remember, (we llost 2-0 Falco and "we thought you wete butch" Hoddle scored. Then our coach got done too. Driving through London ours was done though. Think quite a few coaches got the same treatment too.

I have to agree that 70/80s were amazing. I feel sorry for the young uns now who will never experience anything like it.

Every away game was such an adventure and you knew that it would ALWAYS kick off somewhere. I know all the aggro was a bad thing, but bloody hell there was such an edge to every trip. The whole atmosphere at games was so different to now.

So many incredible memories...

The spurs game someone mentioned was indeed the last game of the season. We needed a win I think to qualify for Europe. We lost.

I remember the coach we were on, after the game, was stopped at traffic lights. Some spurs fans chucked something at the coach. Next thing I knew was everyone piling off after them. The spurs fans ran into a mcdonalds to escape but a load of Wednesday fans went in after them. It was chaos as these spurs fans got pulled over the tables and punters trying to get out of the way.

I don't know if it's my memory but we seemed to take thousands away as well. We'd take over the ground at times

And, no I'm not looking to do a second book....... But come on guys....it's 30/40 years ago now. Pleeeaaaase share some of the stories from the wino express. No names required, just the stories. Keep them alive please and share

Blimey, Southampton away, midweek, cup replay after a televised draw at home (0-0 I think)

Peter Shiltons wife had left him a few days before, and throughout the game we were singing 'Shilton, where's your wife?'

He had the last laugh though, as they beat us 5-1, after we'd taken an early lead.

Vaguely remember an away trip one night at Tottenham, think it may have been the last game of the season. Leaving the ground our coach window was smashed by a glass being thrown from a pub, we had to drive all the way back to Sheffield with no window...

I went to this one my friend hired a plane from East Midlands was great apart from the result

The sight of railway platforms absolutely full of Wednesday fans, all singing, was amazing.made you feel hugely proud to belong to that.

Anyway, just a few memories, would love to hear some of yours...

Great thread!

This has revived memories of the railway platforms as we arrived by the Inter City Owl and all dispersed onto the platform with the singing and noise levels sometimes higher than the actual game! You could see the look of amazement on the locals faces as we marched out of the station and onto the ground. Sometimes we'd take two trains. Particularly remember Torquay in the promotion season where they lined up a fleet of double decker buses to take us to the ground.

Highbury for the semi final is one of the loudest Wednesday noises I've ever heard.

Guest Deleted member

That Chelsea away game, night match, I had to climb off my sick bed to get to... One of the worst colds I've ever had

I remember getting in the ground, having run the gauntlet of Chelsea fans as we passed their turnstiles. Waiting outside in the cold wasn't good for me, and a sneeze hit me so hard, and unexpected, I didn't get my hand to my mouth fast enough, and coughed up a massive lump of phlegm, right on the back of this guy in fronts sheepskin coat. It looked a newish one, and I remember thinking I should tell him...

I tapped him on the shoulder and said 'Scuse me mate, someone's just coughed a green un on your back'..... "the Dirty Bar stewards" he said as he wiped it off on the steps of the stand... Looking back behind me, he spotted a few kids doing that disgusting thing people did back then, flicking spit balls at each other...

He marched over, and I didn't stop to watch, heading off a long way away...

Apologies if that was you

Christ memories gone to pot....name was about right though. We were getting back on the coaches when we set upon and one lad was slashed so must have been more than one incident then?

These days it was probably the coaches fault eh?

I was on the Wino Express for the Liverpool match where a lad off our coach was slashed. As we were an independent coach we went to Walton Hospital, to pick him up afterwards, but because of his injuries, was kept in overnight.

Policeman at the hospital told us there were three other Wednesday fans in there too. Best supporters my Ar*se, have hated the Scousers ever since.

Same trip going to the game a car did a U turn in Huddersfield in front of the Wino, causing the driver to brake sharply, throwing a passenger into the windscreen and cracking the window. Fortunately the kid was OK.

Also remember the P*ss bottle, where the last to fill it up had to lean out of the door, usually at top speed on the motorway, and empty the contents. 

I was on the Wino Express for the Liverpool match where a lad off our coach was slashed. As we were an independent coach we went to Walton Hospital, to pick him up afterwards, but because of his injuries, was kept in overnight.

Policeman at the hospital told us there were three other Wednesday fans in there too. Best supporters my Ar*se, have hated the Scousers ever since.

Same trip going to the game a car did a U turn in Huddersfield in front of the Wino, causing the driver to brake sharply, throwing a passenger into the windscreen and cracking the window. Fortunately the kid was OK.

Also remember the P*ss bottle, where the last to fill it up had to lean out of the door, usually at top speed on the motorway, and empty the contents. 

When we had Keith as driver we just opened the door a little and merrily p!ssed out of the door doing 70! bottom of the steps were awash with p!ss.

When we p!ssed in a bottle it invariably got mistakenly drunk as cider on the way home, it really does taste the same on the way out especially when warm.

I have to agree that 70/80s were amazing. I feel sorry for the young uns now who will never experience anything like it.

Every away game was such an adventure and you knew that it would ALWAYS kick off somewhere. I know all the aggro was a bad thing, but bloody hell there was such an edge to every trip. The whole atmosphere at games was so different to now.

So many incredible memories...

The spurs game someone mentioned was indeed the last game of the season. We needed a win I think to qualify for Europe. We lost.

I remember the coach we were on, after the game, was stopped at traffic lights. Some spurs fans chucked something at the coach. Next thing I knew was everyone piling off after them. The spurs fans ran into a mcdonalds to escape but a load of Wednesday fans went in after them. It was chaos as these spurs fans got pulled over the tables and punters trying to get out of the way.

I don't know if it's my memory but we seemed to take thousands away as well. We'd take over the ground at times

And, no I'm not looking to do a second book....... But come on guys....it's 30/40 years ago now. Pleeeaaaase share some of the stories from the wino express. No names required, just the stories. Keep them alive please and share

Not sure we can tell some of the stories on here as I'm not sure of the statute of limitatons is on some of them, 'The west ham fan' and the 'QPR affair' especially.

Other tales are long in the telling.

Spartacus is fairly tame by Wino standards but quite funny if you were there.

We had had a couple of lads nicked at Fulham for battling on their end, and as our credo we wouldn't leave anyone behind. So the whole coach camped outside the local nick waiting for them to be processed.

Plod got fed up of this so after several ignored threats they placed one of their finest at the front of the coach to ensure the driver got us out of London.

This as you can imagine irked us a little, so after around 5 minutes travel we were looking for recompence.

As it happens someones misguided but caring mother had packed them up some fruit, an apple to be precise.

Q thought it would be a jolly jape to launch it at said Plod. Bang! right on the back of his head, helmet went flying, us creased up and Plod furious.

He turned round screaming who was it!  who was it!

Silence.

Then a small voice at the back piped up, it was me I'm Spartacus.

No! it was me I'm Spartacus piped up another until every one on the coach was on their feet claiming to be Spartacus

Cue the coach being surrounded by half a dozen cop cars and an inspector walking down the center aisle with plenty of back up telling us if we didn't give up the culprit Q then the whole coach would be arrested.

But we had heard that a few times before on other eascapades so we kept schtum

And to plods irate anger we were sent on our way. This time with half a dozen Plod standing in the aisle until we hit the M1

Great days

Edited by lanzaroteowl

Guest Deleted member

Not sure we can tell some of the stories on here as I'm not sure of the statute of limitatons is on some of them, 'The west ham fan' and the 'QPR affair' especially.

Other tales are long in the telling.

Spartacus is fairly tame by Wino standards but quite funny if you were there.

We had had a couple of lads nicked at Fulham for battling on their end, and as our credo we wouldn't leave anyone behind. So the whole coach camped outside the local nick waiting for them to be processed.

Plod got fed up of this so after several ignored threats they placed one of their finest at the front of the coach to ensure the driver got us out of London.

This as you can imagine irked us a little, so after around 5 minutes travel we were looking for recompence.

As it happens someones misguided but caring mother had packed them up some fruit, an apple to be precise.

Q thought it would be a jolly jape to launch it at said Plod. Bang! right on the back of his head, helmet went flying, us creased up and Plod furious.

He turned round screaming who was it! who was it!

Silence.

Then a small voice at the back piped up, it was me I'm Spartacus.

No! it was me I'm Spartacus piped up another until every one on the coach was on their feet claiming to be Spartacus

Cue the coach being surrounded by half a dozen cop cars and an inspector walking down the center aisle with plenty of back up telling us if we didn't give up the culprit Q then the whole coach would be arrested.

But we had heard that a few times before on other eascapades so we kept schtum

And to plods irate anger we were sent on our way. This time with half a dozen Plod standing in the aisle until we hit the M1

Great days

lol

Stories like that make me so glad I started the thread

Any more?

lol

Stories like that make me so glad I started the thread

Any more?

Loads

Usually starting remember... The wedding crasher, Brixton, Blackpool, Walsall all nighter, Newcatle decoy,cats and brass cannons, and cymbals and Leeds banners, the Chelsea punchbag.

Most have a comedy edge to 'em which keeps them alive.

Edited by lanzaroteowl