Away Days in the 80's

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

Bit of nostalgia... And a ramble. But share your own memories too...

I first started travelling to away games without my parents in the 80s. I was still at school and there was a good collection of Wednesdayites then, invariably this meant there was always somebody to travel with. My first ever season of being ever present home and away came when I was about 15. Funded almost entirely out of saved up school dinner money, my part time job proceeds and a generous, Wednesday mad Grandad... I remember being gutted when we drew Arsenal away in the Cup, midweek, and thinking there was no way I could make it, due to school. About 5 of us travelled, and all used the same excuse at school, dentists appointment. We were called to our year tutor at lunch time, and as we all stood outside his office we knew what it was about. We all stuck to our stories though, and as we left he said 'enjoy the match lads' with a big smile on his face (he was a Wednesdayite as well)

Newcastle away was always a great day out, and I vividly remember my first trip to St James, when Shelts scored the only goal of the day with his overhead kick... Mostly I remember the walk back to the station, when some idiot Geordie rolled a wooden cable drum off the roof of some shops down onto the Wednesday fans walking below...

Liverpool away, again in the Cup, and singing 'We'll be back', and we were the following season.... I hated Liverpool trips, always bother, and usually involving Stanley knives. The amount of sheepskin coats you'd see in those days with long strips slashed out of the back of them. I still hate Scousers to this day for that, saw a bloke get slashed in the face. He must have been in his late 60s, and his crime was to be wearing aWednesday scarf. He'd only just stepped off the (Maxfields) coach...

Cardiff away when we got promoted will live long in the memory. Went in the car with Mum and Dad and my girlfriend that day. We'd pulled into a lay by about 20 miles outside Cardiff for sandwiches on the way down, it was packed with blue and white. On the picnic table we were sat at was an American couple who were over here touring. He asked us where we were all going. When we told him what it was all about, he said to his wife 'fancy it?'... We saw them after the game, he came up to us absolutely buzzing, the best sporting experience of his life...

I remember Leicester away, at Filbert Street. Although we won 4-2, I remember it more for the continual chanting of 'Yeeeeeeeellllloooooooows' interspersed with a song here or there throughout the match. Standing up always generated a better atmosphere...

Grimsby away one Boxing Day was another brilliant atmosphere, when we finally got in, Grimsby having only opened a couple of turnstiles for a whole away end.

Of course there was the semi finals too, Highbury against Brighton and Villa Park against Everton... I still remember what I was wearing for the Highbury game, I'd bought myself some 'Wednesday' jeans from the Owls Shop, I'd got my yellow away shirt on, and my blue and white peaked Wednesday cap, they were brilliant....

The best thing back then for me was arriving en-masse, on trains. The sight of railway platforms absolutely full of Wednesday fans, all singing, was amazing.made you feel hugely proud to belong to that.

Anyway, just a few memories, would love to hear some of yours...

Guest Iron Hunter

Bit of nostalgia... And a ramble. But share your own memories too...

I first started travelling to away games without my parents in the 80s. I was still at school and there was a good collection of Wednesdayites then, invariably this meant there was always somebody to travel with. My first ever season of being ever present home and away came when I was about 15. Funded almost entirely out of saved up school dinner money, my part time job proceeds and a generous, Wednesday mad Grandad... I remember being gutted when we drew Arsenal away in the Cup, midweek, and thinking there was no way I could make it, due to school. About 5 of us travelled, and all used the same excuse at school, dentists appointment. We were called to our year tutor at lunch time, and as we all stood outside his office we knew what it was about. We all stuck to our stories though, and as we left he said 'enjoy the match lads' with a big smile on his face (he was a Wednesdayite as well)

Newcastle away was always a great day out, and I vividly remember my first trip to St James, when Shelts scored the only goal of the day with his overhead kick... Mostly I remember the walk back to the station, when some idiot Geordie rolled a wooden cable drum off the roof of some shops down onto the Wednesday fans walking below...

Liverpool away, again in the Cup, and singing 'We'll be back', and we were the following season.... I hated Liverpool trips, always bother, and usually involving Stanley knives. The amount of sheepskin coats you'd see in those days with long strips slashed out of the back of them. I still hate Scousers to this day for that, saw a bloke get slashed in the face. He must have been in his late 60s, and his crime was to be wearing aWednesday scarf. He'd only just stepped off the (Maxfields) coach...

Cardiff away when we got promoted will live long in the memory. Went in the car with Mum and Dad and my girlfriend that day. We'd pulled into a lay by about 20 miles outside Cardiff for sandwiches on the way down, it was packed with blue and white. On the picnic table we were sat at was an American couple who were over here touring. He asked us where we were all going. When we told him what it was all about, he said to his wife 'fancy it?'... We saw them after the game, he came up to us absolutely buzzing, the best sporting experience of his life...

I remember Leicester away, at Filbert Street. Although we won 4-2, I remember it more for the continual chanting of 'Yeeeeeeeellllloooooooows' interspersed with a song here or there throughout the match. Standing up always generated a better atmosphere...

Grimsby away one Boxing Day was another brilliant atmosphere, when we finally got in, Grimsby having only opened a couple of turnstiles for a whole away end.

Of course there was the semi finals too, Highbury against Brighton and Villa Park against Everton... I still remember what I was wearing for the Highbury game, I'd bought myself some 'Wednesday' jeans from the Owls Shop, I'd got my yellow away shirt on, and my blue and white peaked Wednesday cap, they were brilliant....

The best thing back then for me was arriving en-masse, on trains. The sight of railway platforms absolutely full of Wednesday fans, all singing, was amazing.made you feel hugely proud to belong to that.

Anyway, just a few memories, would love to hear some of yours...

Good read that mate but just before my time unfortunately.Its always amazing how you can remember details of games from thirty years ago but I always forget to put bin out on Wednesday night!

Guest Deleted member

The one I remember must have been a different result. It was definitely the 80s as a lad in front of me going thru the turnstiles had a pair of Sheffield Wednesday leg warmers on lol

Could be me making the op , except for the arsenal game.

I remember cardiff too. It was the best away game ive been too.Huddersfield and man city that season were good too.

Stoke away in the cup was a great night.We payed on the gate which was normal for most games even though we took 1000s.

Never had a season as good as that one.

The chant of

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY`S BACK IN TOWN AGAIN

Remember vividly thousands of us walking from Blackpool station to the ground singing that.

The away end was split in 2 and the whole game was consisted of looking out for bricks being hurled from one side to the other! Memories

Inter City Owl to Exeter 1980

Its a long way to Exeter r r

Its a long way to go

Its a long way to Exeter r r

To see the sweetest team I know

So f.uck off Sheff United

Hello division two

Its a long, long way to Exeter r r

OH WEDNESDAY WE LOVE YOU...!

Guest WESTENDOWL

Preston used to be great ,one year we took two trains they arrived five minutes apart.We went on the coach the sight of Wednesdayites marching in a line across the park near the ground was amazing then to see the second wave come over the hill made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up

I was at most of those games too Nigel - remember them all like yesterday!!

For the semi at highbury we'd caught a really early train down to dat London - got there something like 10am. There was one crowd of wednesdayites who had this MASSIVE Union Jack flag with Park & Arbourthorne Owls on it - funny what things you remember - even though we didn't win, the support was just amazing - that noise on the north bank must have convinced the club that we needed a roof on our kop.... :-)

Guest mrbluesky

Have a few stories but going out, just a quick one, I think it was when we won at Liverpool 2-0 with a chorus of "We said we`d be back and we are and we are , we said we`d be back and we are!!" My memories crap but we sung this on our return to Div 1.

Happy days...

Guest Gazzaswfc

Remember first trip to old Trafford we lost 3-1 but we scored in first few minutes chamberlain scored was a a great day the Wednesday fans were louder than man u fans Loved blackburn away when we won 2-1 when spider scored in front of thousands of mad Wednesdayites . Away games in the 80's were the best #happydays

Have a few stories but going out, just a quick one, I think it was when we won at Liverpool 2-0 with a chorus of "We said we`d be back and we are and we are , we said we`d be back and we are!!" My memories crap but we sung this on our return to Div 1.

Happy days...

Was at both Liverpool games - when we started singing we said we`d be back is a memory I will take to my grave it still makes my hair stand on end now - absolutely fantastic - if I remember correctly we won at pool man u & southampton that season