Away Days in the 80's

Guest Deleted member

Guest WESTENDOWL

I'm a decade earlier, 70's. My first away game (other than Utd) was away at Middlesborough in 73/74. We lost 8-0 and I got beaten up after the game. I was 14 years old. Made me nervous about away games for quite a while afterwards. Having said that had some fantastic games to, many of which have already been mentioned.

Got the same treatment i am sure it was in a cemetery near the ground god knows what would have happened if we had won

Guest mkowl

Remember a Derby away game when we got chased by police horses back to the ICO coaches 

The Liverpool away game after promotion was fun, never saw Varadi's goal. All I remember was the locals going barmy after the game dispelling the myth that the Scousers were gracious after defeat. Only time I went on the ICO train which got bricked by some scallies as we left the station

A mixture of lack of funds and the threat of hooliganism meant my trips were limited. Unfortunately my Mum worked at Bassetts and she would make enquiries with the Wednesday fans there and that stopped a few trips

Guest Deleted member

Blimey, Southampton away, midweek, cup replay after a televised draw at home (0-0 I think)

Peter Shiltons wife had left him a few days before, and throughout the game we were singing 'Shilton, where's your wife?'

He had the last laugh though, as they beat us 5-1, after we'd taken an early lead.

Vaguely remember an away trip one night at Tottenham, think it may have been the last game of the season. Leaving the ground our coach window was smashed by a glass being thrown from a pub, we had to drive all the way back to Sheffield with no window...

A notch earlier than the 80s - does anyone remember an invasion of Rotherham I think in the late 70s that got a bit out of hand. I remember being caught up in a boisterous procession of Wednesdayites which passed a paint shop on the high street which soon had its windows in and a fair daub of its finest all over the pavement. By the time we got to Milmoor, "we were half a zillion strong" and created havoc. There were Tivoli raids and crowd surges all match, one of which swept my nine stone self into a copper who promptly lobbed me out for causing trouble. Afterwards cockiness gradually evaporated as the Massive dispersed and me and a gang from Maltby had to negotiate an incognito return amidst disgruntled millers on the 102. We got spotted in All Saints Square and ended up legging it to the Bus station, taking a 69 into Sheffield and coming home after dark on a 287. I remember telling mi mum we'd all had a lovely time ......70s 80s away. I'm knackered just thinking about it.

darnal owls coach to southend for a night match when big jack was manager,  it was so cold the condensation froze on the inside of the windows . all that way to find the match had been called off at the last minute ended up in there supporters pub and a big fight with there hard man  called biffo and a few darnal owls who were always up for a fight. a few pints then back on the coach freezing our nuts off 

Started watching SWFC in early 1981, but as my Dad didn't bother with away games I was only taken to a handful until I started going regularly around 1989-90 and I've now seen us play on 102 different grounds. First away game was (randomly) at Filbert Street in October 1981, I remember going down by car (also recall reading "Shoot!" on the way and Terry Curran was the player featured in that Q&A thing) worrying that we'd be the only Wednesday fans there so was amazed by the thousands of Wednesdayites when we got there, and vividly remember the chants of "yeeeeeellllloooowwwwwwssssss". Turned out to be a dull 0-0 draw which was also televised on MOTD.

The only other away games I was taken to in that era were the quarter final at Burnley in 1983 and the two semi finals in 83 and 86. I was livid when my Dad went to Rotherham without me for a night game (the 2-2).

Guest WESTENDOWL

The 70s were far better no cctv in the grounds we used to get up to a bit of mischief good honest fun really.

Lincoln was always a laugh remember one year to try and segregate the fans the stewards tied a piece of rope at the bottom of the side terrace and two more stood at the top pulling it tight you couldn't make it up

Tommo on the pitch at Oxford

Sammy hiding under a sombrero when the coppers got on the coach to nick him for pinching sweets

Chasing Chelsea through the kitchens at Leicester Forest

Police horse in the pub at Chelsea

Taking over the Grapes in Blackpool on new years day the landlord locked himself in the cellar and we all drank free for over an hour

The list could go on for ever

Bit of nostalgia... And a ramble. But share your own memories too...

I first started travelling to away games without my parents in the 80s. I was still at school and there was a good collection of Wednesdayites then, invariably this meant there was always somebody to travel with. My first ever season of being ever present home and away came when I was about 15. Funded almost entirely out of saved up school dinner money, my part time job proceeds and a generous, Wednesday mad Grandad... I remember being gutted when we drew Arsenal away in the Cup, midweek, and thinking there was no way I could make it, due to school. About 5 of us travelled, and all used the same excuse at school, dentists appointment. We were called to our year tutor at lunch time, and as we all stood outside his office we knew what it was about. We all stuck to our stories though, and as we left he said 'enjoy the match lads' with a big smile on his face (he was a Wednesdayite as well)

Newcastle away was always a great day out, and I vividly remember my first trip to St James, when Shelts scored the only goal of the day with his overhead kick... Mostly I remember the walk back to the station, when some idiot Geordie rolled a wooden cable drum off the roof of some shops down onto the Wednesday fans walking below...

Liverpool away, again in the Cup, and singing 'We'll be back', and we were the following season.... I hated Liverpool trips, always bother, and usually involving Stanley knives. The amount of sheepskin coats you'd see in those days with long strips slashed out of the back of them. I still hate Scousers to this day for that, saw a bloke get slashed in the face. He must have been in his late 60s, and his crime was to be wearing aWednesday scarf. He'd only just stepped off the (Maxfields) coach...

Cardiff away when we got promoted will live long in the memory. Went in the car with Mum and Dad and my girlfriend that day. We'd pulled into a lay by about 20 miles outside Cardiff for sandwiches on the way down, it was packed with blue and white. On the picnic table we were sat at was an American couple who were over here touring. He asked us where we were all going. When we told him what it was all about, he said to his wife 'fancy it?'... We saw them after the game, he came up to us absolutely buzzing, the best sporting experience of his life...

I remember Leicester away, at Filbert Street. Although we won 4-2, I remember it more for the continual chanting of 'Yeeeeeeeellllloooooooows' interspersed with a song here or there throughout the match. Standing up always generated a better atmosphere...

Grimsby away one Boxing Day was another brilliant atmosphere, when we finally got in, Grimsby having only opened a couple of turnstiles for a whole away end.

Of course there was the semi finals too, Highbury against Brighton and Villa Park against Everton... I still remember what I was wearing for the Highbury game, I'd bought myself some 'Wednesday' jeans from the Owls Shop, I'd got my yellow away shirt on, and my blue and white peaked Wednesday cap, they were brilliant....

The best thing back then for me was arriving en-masse, on trains. The sight of railway platforms absolutely full of Wednesday fans, all singing, was amazing.made you feel hugely proud to belong to that.

Anyway, just a few memories, would love to hear some of yours...

Blimey mate....I think I was stood within 5 feet of you for most of the 80's !

My first away match was Burnley away 0-0 and we brought them back to ours and did them 5-0 so about 1981 i'd guess?

I developed a lifelong hatred of scousers after that Liverpool match too, was waiting to get on the coach when the lad from stocksbridge (steve jenks?) was slashed on his back from his shoulder to his backside. If I remember rightly, it made into the star as he ended up getting 140 stitches. I was the lad who belted that scouser at the end of the coach with a road sign if anyone remembers that!.......and no. I dont regret it at all

Derby away when the ex pig tackled Hodge and knocked him spark out

Filbert street, favourite away ground of that era, atmosphere was unbelieveable.

Man City away at main road when we won 2-1, running down the kippax after the second goal and being sat on the coach going home seeing nothing but wednesday coaches all the way over woodhead.

I write this smiling, some of the best days of my life.

Always went on the Wino

First from The Ball in Ecco

Then from The gate when no coaches would pick us up from The Ball again. We had exhausted all those from Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley even when we payed upfront

We ended up bribing the driver (Keith a striking miner doing it for pin money) so 'we do what we want'

What happened on The Wino stayed on The Wino, you just had to be there.

Don't think I missed a match when the original wino went from the ball,first one I remember was Carlisle away in the cup.Happy days and too many tales to tell.

I think my favourites were the Exeter - Torquay promotion game,Blackburn away same season and the pub with the river behind it that we were all warned not to go in Wrexham ?.

Don't think I missed a match when the original wino went from the ball,first one I remember was Carlisle away in the cup.Happy days and too many tales to tell.

I think my favourites were the Exeter - Torquay promotion game,Blackburn away same season and the pub with the river behind it that we were all warned not to go in Wrexham ?.

Great days out. Some tales still can't be told to this day.

There used to be lads who came from as far afield as Doncaster and Maltby just to ride with the Wino.

Incidents such as Spartacus,The wedding party, The West ham lad, The QPR affair and many others go down in folklore

I was at a few of the games mentioned, but the Grimsby one was one of my favourite days. We went in a knackered ex-army minibus and it picked up a puncture on the way to Grimsby. There was no jack in the vehicle so we all picked up the corner of the bus while the driver changed the wheel. We found a watering hole on the seafront and it has a concert hall behind it, which was closed, it being December. The bar was packed so we somehow opened the door into the concert hall and sat trying to play the music to singing the blues while singing along. The queuing up outside the ground... such a crush. Then in the ground... such a crush in the standing area. A few of us climbed into the seating area behind and watched the game sitting on the steps between the seats. We lost - 1-0 I think - but what a great day out. 

Midweek at Stoke was a big day too. We had planned to go to Doncaster races in the day, 4 of us in my car, and to Stoke for the match. My Grandfather died in the morning and I went up to see him, my Grandmother talked me into having the day I had planned. I think Bannister scored the only goal of the game? I remember more bad piano playing in a pub on the way home somewhere in the peak district.

Great days out. Some tales still can't be told to this day.

There used to be lads who came from as far afield as Doncaster and Maltby just to ride with the Wino.

Incidents such as Spartacus,The wedding party, The West ham lad, The QPR affair and many others go down in folklore[/quote

I was one of if not the youngest on the original coach some of em must be reyt old gibber's now if we had a reunion we could go on a saga organized trip.

Guest Fedor

Always went on the Wino

Then from The gate when no coaches would pick us up from The Ball again. We had exhausted all those from Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley even when we payed upfront

We ended up bribing the driver (Keith a striking miner doing it for pin money) so 'we do what we want'

Always went on the Wino

Cut my teeth on the Wino, best away days ever.