Strikers for next season.

Kenwyne Jones appearence money alone is £13,000 per appearence on top of a £40,000 a week basic wage, anyone that thinks Wednesday will be paying those sorts of wages even under the new ownership is completely deluded .

if that's true Jones won't be going anywhere until the end of his contract.

At his age no one is going to match that.

Football has gone mad.

I think we should hope Norwich get promoted and they decide Grabban or Jerome are not going to cut it in the prem.

The way Gray likes to set up the team you need somebody with pace to get behind and frighten their defence to sit deep while also being a decent finisher

a winger who can deliver a cross and kenwynn jones would be a good combo in this league...who the winger is though i dont

know ,knockart maybe or that lad from birmingham gray though he may be destined for the prem .

I'd like to see us get someone proven and experienced like Kenwyne Jones to complement our inexperienced forwards.

He's done well at a struggling Cardiff, this season. If we were to get him, then I agree we'd need to bring in some quality wingers and McGugan would be ideal too.

We could get someone like Ben Marshall and James McClean to deliver the crosses Kenwyne Jones would need, plus McGugan could supply the through balls and join in from midfield. And if needs be someone with pace alongside Kenywne Jones if we got him would be ideal too. Unless we can keep a hold of Will Keane and our other inexperienced forwards improve, then maybe just the one striker is needed? Allowing us to strengthen the midfield and wings. If Kenywne Jones is out of our price range or goes back to the Premier League, then I'd look at someone similar who can hold the ball up and head the ball in, and who is proven and experienced.

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

It's not easy to guess who SG will go for and what kind of striker he feels we need, I think we always assumed Chris Wood was his primary target but im not so sure with him saying he only enquired last summer and didn't follow it up

I think Watford will be the ones to go up through the play offs, they have 3 players in Vydra , Ighalo and Deeney all in double figures there a cracking side in my opinion , Fernando Forestieri doesn't seem to get many games for them and he's a player I've always liked when I've seen him and he's scored a few against us , we could do a lot worse than take a look at him

Garner and Le Fondre could be options

Really hard thinking of a striker who would guarantee value for monney he would require to bring him here, especialy if we would look at someone with potential resale value.

Maybe wouldn't have a resale, but how about rickie lambert. Probably won't get a chance at Liverpool next season if they sign ings. Was on his way to villa before he changed his mind. Could be the experience we need.

Maybe wouldn't have a resale, but how about rickie lambert. Probably won't get a chance at Liverpool next season if they sign ings. Was on his way to villa before he changed his mind. Could be the experience we need.

He turned Aston Villa down, what indication does that give that he'd be willing to sign for us?!

Honestly, come August, there's going to be A LOT of Wednesdayite's very disappointed with our transfer dealings, because the current expectations are absolutely ludicrous.

Despite Mr. Chansiri's pledge to back the team, he's said it'll be done in a sensible manner, and the club still has to comply with FFP.

We'll be looking at free transfers (but hopefully the top free transfers available) and any fees we'll pay out will be on players with a potential resale.

We won't, and most crucially can't, just go spending millions and payings 10's of thousands on weekly wages. It'll be a gradual process. Four quality additions, which will hopefully progress us to a team that will be challenging for a playoff berth is the aim next season. 

We should do what Bournemouth are trying to do. Yes they paid over £3 million for Wilson, but he might get them up to the top division, and he has the attributes to be able to play there. Thats the type of players we should invest in, players who can get us up, and who will be good enough to build a side around, when we get there. If it all went boobies up for Bournemouth now, they could quite easy triple their money on Callum Wilson. They are trying to do the same with Damari Gray, although so far, Birmingham have managed to resist their overtures. I hope we steer clear of paying big money for players who can do a job in the championship, but wouldn't cut it in the Premier League

What we need to target in the summer are course and distance championship players. Players that are invariably involved at teams who are at the top end of the championship/bottom end of premier league.

These are players that for one reason or another we've never been able to afford and as a result we've found ourselves bottom end of the championship/league one.

If the aim now is the premier league and I don't doubt for one minute it is now, we have to shop at a level that gives us a chance? We could build gradually but that's not a preferable option if DC wants promotion to the prem in two years? It is going to be an interesting summer 😃

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Guest TommyTank

Its not really about names, who would have thought Danny Ings and Sam Vokes would have got Burnley promoted once Austin moved on.

Its about finding a pairing and the above 2 had everything for this level, Vokes was a presence, a real handful and chipped in, Ings was the pace in behind.

Thats the route I would like us to take, find a front pair that work well together. We might already have it but Ive not seen it.

At the moment we have Nuhiu who isnt physical enough, can't head the ball and lacks pace or power.  

May and Bus could be our Danny Ings, hard working, running in behind and scoring regular goals. To get the best out of them we need a Vokes/Martin/Brown.

Brown for Blackburn was a good foil for Rhodes the other day, did the dirty work if you like. They have 2 quality strikers in Rhodes and Gestede but Brown is the main striker, the centre forward and the other 2 rotate.

I don't think we have poor strikers, they just don't work very well together.

Its not really about names, who would have thought Danny Ings and Sam Vokes would have got Burnley promoted once Austin moved on.

Its about finding a pairing and the above 2 had everything for this level, Vokes was a presence, a real handful and chipped in, Ings was the pace in behind.

Thats the route I would like us to take, find a front pair that work well together. We might already have it but Ive not seen it.

At the moment we have Nuhiu who isnt physical enough, can't head the ball and lacks pace or power.

May and Bus could be our Danny Ings, hard working, running in behind and scoring regular goals. To get the best out of them we need a Vokes/Martin/Brown.

Brown for Blackburn was a good foil for Rhodes the other day, did the dirty work if you like. They have 2 quality strikers in Rhodes and Gestede but Brown is the main striker, the centre forward and the other 2 rotate.

I don't think we have poor strikers, they just don't work very well together.

Totally agree, it's absolutely essential that we can form at least two different pairings from our striking roster. At the moment, none really complement each other.

Edited by gurujuan

I think he might well be realistic option for next season even if Leicester stays up. Not a striker, but I wouldn't bet against us trying to bring in Marc Albrighton from there as well.

Albrighton is a good shout . not seeing that much first team action . 

But Vardy is defiantly the number one on my wish list for the summer. I think he would be a massive hit at Hillsbro . 

If you could bring in just one, who would you bring in?

I've had a look at a few figures and here's 5 worth a look....

Andy Williams Swindon
Jordan Rhodes Blackburn
Joe Garner Preston
Troy Deeney Watford
Kenwyne Jones Cardiff

Its based on actual goals scored rather than whether they're glamourous or not.

Think all of those are within our range in the summer transfer window to be honest (except Rhodes)

But taking into account age,potential,price and how quickly would they fit into our squad? Think Deeney is the best bet, although would take a figure I imagine around the £2.5 million mark and can't imagine he'd want to leave Watford (unless they go up in which case will be in a Chris Wood like situation)

-KJ isn't that prolific at this level and is 30, isn't as good as he once was and for the price we'd have to pay to get him, could get much better IMO.

-Rhodes, as much as I'd like him, we couldn't afford him and if Blackburn do sell which looks likely due to their dire financial situation could see him going to Derby,Watford like team thats always going to be around the top 6 or a relegated prem side.

-Personally don't think Williams is even as good as we've currently got, so no.

-Garner perhaps, scored at this level before and 26 if Preston don't go up would be worth a bid, but I'd much rather target a proven championship goalscorer.

Id love us to have a cheeky go for Jamie Vardy when Leicester are relegated.

Wednesdayite through and through and a decent bid may persuade Leicester to sell.

Would love him at Hillsbro. Never stops running , proven at this level .

It would be good to have a few local lads in the team even if it means we have to buy them in until the academy starts producing.

We should do what Bournemouth are trying to do. Yes they paid over £3 million for Wilson, but he might get them up to the top division, and he has the attributes to be able to play there. Thats the type of players we should invest in, players who can get us up, and who will be good enough to build a side around, when we get there. If it all went **** up for Bournemouth now, they could quite easy triple their money on Callum Wilson. They are trying to do the same with Damari Gray, although so far, Birmingham have managed to resist their overtures. I hope we steer clear of paying big money for players who can do a job in the championship, but wouldn't cut it in the Premier League

Totally agree if we are going to pay fees for players they need to be young enough and talented enough to increase in value.

Kenwyne Jones appearence money alone is £13,000 per appearence on top of a £40,000 a week basic wage, anyone that thinks Wednesday will be paying those sorts of wages even under the new ownership is completely deluded .

always amazes me how people know what players earn.

It's not easy to guess who SG will go for and what kind of striker he feels we need, I think we always assumed Chris Wood was his primary target but im not so sure with him saying he only enquired last summer and didn't follow it up

I think Watford will be the ones to go up through the play offs, they have 3 players in Vydra , Ighalo and Deeney all in double figures there a cracking side in my opinion , Fernando Forestieri doesn't seem to get many games for them and he's a player I've always liked when I've seen him and he's scored a few against us , we could do a lot worse than take a look at him

Garner and Le Fondre could be options

Would defo take Forestieri off their hands as well as midfielders Fabrini and Mcgugan.

Can see a bit of a fire sale at Blackburn soon.

Last set of accounts saw wages alone at 35.5m against turnover of 30m. That turnover included parachute payments which finish next season. Already in breach of FFP

Rhodes has not had his best season, often been on the bench. Can't see blackburn been in the position to command the fee the could have done last summer

Probably still out of our range though

Rhodes is one of the reasons that Blackburn are in the poo poo financially. His wages are massive. Way out of our range. We're talking £40K pw here.

Guest wilyfox

All the names being discussed are probably still beyond our means. I'd be very impressed if we spend £1.5-2m on a striker; and who can you get for that?! We don't have the parachute payments to cope with a contract of Kenwyne Jones' size, and FFP limits the amount Chansiri can plunge in.

Added pressure on Gray too; for the first time he'll have money at his disposal. Whoever he gets must deliver far greater impact than May in his first season.