westwod red

Three bad decisions

Ah well, just another to add to the poor set of officials that plague the football league....the linemen/women are truly diabolical

The officials are no better in the prem.

I've watched a few MOTD this season for a change, and a lot of the decisions are beyond a joke. Truly awful.

But nobody wants technology, so we accept it don't we?

At least it keeps football forums ticking over!

I didn't think the referee had the option to play advantage for a penalty?

a referee can play advantage at any point or time so long as it benefits the receinving team. You wont see it v often in penalty area as its a big risk to take for a referee if a goal isnt scored within a reasonable time to bring play back to the penalty (a few seconds according to law).

The thing that needs changing is the law.

If a penalty is given that replaces the goal scoring opportunity so it should be a yellow.

I am fed up of seeing games spoilt in this manner.

the problem with that is handball on the line would start to creep in as the player knows its a pen and he wont get sent off under the new rule proposed. You could however separate the offences - could work possibly.

An appeal would be unsuccessful imo - because the red card was given for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity to the player who was fouled

Technically the ref is correct however i agree that he should have played advantage, let the goal stand then book Westwood

And please please stop with the "last man" shyte - there is no such offence and it's immaterial - its the denying of a clear goalscoring opportunity which is applicable - not whether the player is the last defender or not

Referee apparently can't play advantage if he believes a red card offence has been committed. Similar thing happened at home to Bournemouth - goalie cleaned out our player just outside the penalty area and the ball ricocheted into the net a second later. Ref brought play back for a free-kick outside the area and sent the keeper off. At the time of both incidents, I thought the ref should have played on, allowed the goals and at worst, booked the keepers (as did both Eddie Howe and Stuart Gray). Others with better understanding of the laws than me are 100% certain the ref did the correct thing in both cases on the basis he thought a red card offence had been committed.

Was it a penalty? I think so. Goalie rushed out at speed and missed the ball, but forced Ince to take evasive action (he got the last touch on the ball trying to take it round Westwood). From the replays, it looked like some contact was unavoidable and at the time, sat right in line on that side of the pitch, it looked clear cut, even though I thought it didn't matter cos Bent had put in the loose ball.