westwod red

So how come the Preston goalie only got a yellow recently in the Rooney incident ??

Because the referee didn't see it a clear goalscoring opportunity. At the speed and direction the ball was moving when it went past the keeper it would've been difficult for Rooney to have got it under control and on target at that angle and from that distance. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have scored, it just means the ref felt it wasn't likely that he would have scored.

Surely that just proves that he did deny a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Yes it was bad refereeing but the point is the ref blew up.

Once he blew up, he had to give the pen and a red.

An appeal will be unsuccessful.

The only person who denied a goal scoring opportunity was the referee because he blew up too quickly

Suspensions are generally only increased following a failed appeal if the appeal is deemed to be "frivolous". 

Clubs used to do it all the time if they wanted the banned player to be available for an imminent game, because the appeals process would take longer than the time left until the next game. 

I can't imagine we would have appealed if we thought there was any chance of an increased suspension if it was unsuccessful.

Never will we win this appeal. Obvious in this day and age what happens when a keeper comes off his line. The rule isn't "last man back" "there was a covering defender". The rule is "denying a clear goalscoring opportunity" which if Ince skips past the goalkeeper and stays on his feet even if there is someone on the line I'm sure everyone would agree that is a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Referee apparently can't play advantage if he believes a red card offence has been committed. Similar thing happened at home to Bournemouth - goalie cleaned out our player just outside the penalty area and the ball ricocheted into the net a second later. Ref brought play back for a free-kick outside the area and sent the keeper off. At the time of both incidents, I thought the ref should have played on, allowed the goals and at worst, booked the keepers (as did both Eddie Howe and Stuart Gray). Others with better understanding of the laws than me are 100% certain the ref did the correct thing in both cases on the basis he thought a red card offence had been committed.

Was it a penalty? I think so. Goalie rushed out at speed and missed the ball, but forced Ince to take evasive action (he got the last touch on the ball trying to take it round Westwood). From the replays, it looked like some contact was unavoidable and at the time, sat right in line on that side of the pitch, it looked clear cut, even though I thought it didn't matter cos Bent had put in the loose ball.

but thats the problem westwood hasnt denied a goal scoring opportunity. As a goal was subsequently scored.

Also its not the law you have to stop the game for a red there are just never any situation where playing advantage would be a bebefit plus imagine you play advantage and before you can issue the red card ie ball out of play the player you were going to send off scored a goal.