westwod red

I don't think it's a penalty AT ALL!

I just think he falls over!!!

It doesn't look like Westwood catches him, IF he does it's slight and certainly not enough for Derby player to go down, and IF it is a foul, for me the referee doesn't need to pull it back for the penalty and the red card cos the ball falls for Darren Bent who scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could understand pulling it back for a penalty if Bent missed or the ball didn't fall for him to put in

It's a penalty. That's plain and simple.

Is it a red card? Well he was sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity but Bent scored after Ince was fouled?

So clearly he didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity.

I'd appeal.

Surely that just proves that he did deny a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Yes it was bad refereeing but the point is the ref blew up.

Once he blew up, he had to give the pen and a red.

An appeal will be unsuccessful.

I actually think they would recind the red if we appealed. Bent scored fgs how can Westwood have denied a goalscoring chance?

It was a mistake by the ref to blow his whistle. However, the appeal will not be based in the slightest on what happened after the whistle.

They will assess whether it was a foul. Yes it was.

If the foul hadn't been made was it a clear goal scoring opportunity. Yes it was.

The ref not playing advantage will have zero to do with it.

Rescind the red.  Didn't deny a goal scoring opportunity.  If you play to the whistle, its a goal, the foul is irrelevant.  If you don't play advantage its a pen and a yellow as the referee fecked up by NOT playing advantage and would be sending someone off for not denying a goal scoring opportunity.  Bloody ludicrous.

Looking at it again....replay after replay...it looks a dive to me but there's no way you can really tell.

However, Zayatte is almost matching Ince stride for stride. Ince touched the ball looking to take it around Westwood and is at that point that Zayatte gains half a yard on Ince. The ball wasn't completely under control if Ince was to go around Westwood without going down & Zayatte is back and in a position to maybe block a shot that comes in. 

It's not a clear goal scoring opportunity. Ince took the touch wide and Zayatte was back.

And that's only if you believe it is a penalty. I've replayed it a dozen times, pausing every half second as the tackle is made. Ince jumps Westwood and then falls very unnaturally.

I'd 100% appeal it!

Guest Sheff Owl

What I heard from SG after the game, he said he hadn't had a good look at it.

Earlier I was referring to a post on here, and my apologies as I can't remember who or even which thread.

Gray questioned the penalty call. He didn't feel there was much contact between Westwood and Ince. May consider appealing the red.

Three bad decisions

First by the linesman as Bent was clearly offside so play should have been stopped and free kick to Wednesday.

Second...The referee could have allowed the goal if he had just waited a second or two before giving the penalty.  If Derby had missed the penalty they would have a valid complaint that their goal should have stood.

Third..Zayatte was behind Westwood so not the last man so a yellow card should have been shown instead of red.

Ah well, just another to add to the poor set of officials that plague the football league....the linemen/women are truly diabolical.