Stevie May

I just had a glance through some previous threads because I wanted to understand where the hate for me and George came from and I've just worked out that you're a Nuhiu hater. In fact, you have post just as much criticism of Nuhiu as I did of May.

I'd get that pen and keyboard ready Mr Waynecoyne14 the Hypocrite

The very fact you started this thread underlines the fact you are a Stevie hater.

The very fact you started this thread underlines the fact you are a Stevie hater.

Didn't say I wasn't did I?  I don't want to be a Stevie hater - I want him to succeed because if he succeeds, we succeed .  Does it matter if i'm critical of May?  I know that you're not necessarily Nuhiu's greatest fan but it doesn't wind me to know that - I don't jump on you (or anyone else for that matter) for expressing that opinion, although I do like to have a bit of fun winding up Ian if I can when he starts having a go about "the big lump". 

The post that your above response relates to was my reply to Waynecoyne14's post that more or less stated that Geroge and I ought to leave the forum because our opinion of May differs from others.  I was trying to point out that my opinion of May is no different from the opinions that he has expressed on this forum about Nuhiu and, therefore, what he so righteously stated about me leaving the forum should also apply to him (and, thinking about it, everybody else that is critical on this forum). 

Lets face it Fedor, many people's opinion (including yours I believe) vary little from mine with the exception of May.  If May improves then I'll hold my hands up and acknowledge that - I would like nothing more than for May to stuff my words down my throat. 

I'm a Stevie May fan. I think he'll score lots of goals for us next season. As far as this season goes, I don't think we're playing the right tactics for any forward to score a huge amount of goals. So the lad has his work cut out.

The only reason that I ever really bring Stevie up is because of the outrageous and totally unwarranted abuse that Atdhe gets, and the fact that our star signing is worse than the player that is being unduly criticised (imho). He's a top bloke with a top attitude and contributes a huge amount to the team. OK he's not great in the air, which is what everyone expects of him being such a "big lump"; but with the ball at his feet, he's quality. It's genuinely bemusing to see the amount of posters that refer to him as being the worst player ever or some other tripe. I honestly don't know what people are watching. Did everyone go for a kip in the first half when he was the best player on the pitch, then only come back to see him miss that one header that everyone went ballistic over?

I've got no problem with your opinion on May shandy. I disagree with it and I'll challenge it, when I can be arsed, but you keep going on about this cult of May crap.

OK thanks.  I can't give up the "Cult of May" crap though - its one of the few things that I find fun on here plus, there is actually a cult of May. 

as there is the cult of Niuhu , ;-),but that said both need to do better niuhu in front of goal just hasn't got it ,May has but needs to convert it into goals,niuhu needs to be the supply man which if he works on it could be a good thing  for us and chip in when he can then our front line could prosper

I can see where some are coming from when they say Nuhiu doesn't score enough because that is the fact - he doesn't score enough, however, May also doesn't score enough.  if we are going to play a forward that isn't going to score then its Nuhiu over May everyday of the week for me.  Nuhiu's attempts last night were woeful (in fact, they were dogger) but short passing and interplay were exceptional at times, particularly in the first half (his involvement in the play that put Maghoma through was a prime example) and his doggedness to tackle and actually win the ball and then do something positive with it is there for everyone to see (with the prime example of that being in front of the opposition dugout in the second half last night). 

OK, May only had about 15 minutes last night but, from what I can remember:

• He completed some good passes (and this was good play)
  • He tried to play on the shoulder of the last defender at times (which was good because thats what we needed to happen)
  • He received the ball and knocked it too near the defender but managed to win it back with a block tackle and then played it off well
  • He made a good interception but then gave the ball away with a sloppy pass
  • He won the ball knocked it too near the defender and lost it
  • He miscontrolled a pass out of play (in front of the South Stand towards the Kop) - Maghoma, Nuhiu or Palmer would have got dog's abuse for doing that
  • He was positioned incorrectly to take advantage of a ball that fell loose in the box from one of Nuhiu's countless failed attempts at scoring with his head

At the very least, May needs to become more of a physically imposing presence. He needs to start dominanting defenders and he needs to stop doing the thing where he's not fully committing to challenges (whether this be intentional because he's trying to anticipate the drop/run of the ball or whether its because he's "neshing it").  May is similar to Maguire in stature and pace but in terms of physicality, controlled agression and determination, they're worlds apart - the disapointing thing here also is that May appears to have a more ability than Maguire but that's lost due to the fact, currently, he's too lightweight. I reckon a twenty year younger version of me would be able to mark May out of the game at the moment. 

As I said earlier, I don't hate May.  If he goes on a consitent scoring streak and Nuhiu doesn't (even if Nuhiu also keeps performing well of the ball) then its May that should pick to play and not Nuhiu, however, if neither are scoring then it Nuhiu everytime for me. 

Edited by shandypants

What does Liam Palmer offer?

What does Chris Maguire offer?

Lot of players not doing much at times this season, May is at least working hard to get things right, just not coming off for him.

That said, the "give the ball to a defender and let him punt it at Nuhiu's head" idea isn't going to do him many favours

as there is the cult of Niuhu , ;-),but that said both need to do better niuhu in front of goal just hasn't got it ,May has but needs to convert it into goals,niuhu needs to be the supply man which if he works on it could be a good thing  for us and chip in when he can then our front line could prosper

Absolutely Trev!