Atmosphere at S6

Guest George Smith

This is not a dig, but a question about the band;

You say that you want the drummer from the band to come on board, but not the trumpets.  As such, you're asking one bloke to start attending the matches without his mates.  Is this reasonable?  Would you give up going to the match with your friends/family if asked to do so?

Saying we want just a drummer at the match doesn't mean the current drummer would have to stay on....banging one drum isn't difficult. You need rhythm, timing & to be able to keep it up for 90 minutes.

Obviously, out of respect, he'd get first refusal at being the drummer, but it's completely up to him if he wants to stay on & drum without his mates.

I'm all for getting the old atmosphere back. I've been watching Wednesday now since 1947, and can well remember the old 'Hillsborough Roar' as it was termed in the press. I'm all in favour of a 'singing area' even though I'm a litle too old to stand there, and would love to hear the chants (provided they are non-racial and not all anti-United) ring oput until they are overpowered by the roar as Wednesday press home an advantage.

This is not a dig, but a question about the band;

You say that you want the drummer from the band to come on board, but not the trumpets.  As such, you're asking one bloke to start attending the matches without his mates.  Is this reasonable?  Would you give up going to the match with your friends/family if asked to do so?

Surely they all have the option of moving to the singing area without their instruments, ergo they can still attend with their mates.

I have seen videos of some foreign crowds (possibly Turkish or Italian) being led by 2 drummers. This seems to generate an awesome atmosphere.

Surely 2 accomplished drummers situated at the front of the Kop would be a vast improvement over the jaded Kop Band who I

am afraid seem to have lost the ability,which they did seem to have in their earlier days, to encourage the crowd and lead the chants or singing.

OUT WITH THE BAND !! I DEMAND TWO DRUMMERS !!

Edited by oldtawnyowl

I have seen videos of some foreign crowds (possibly Turkish or Italian) being led by 2 drummers. This seems to generate an awesome atmosphere.

Surely 2 accomplished drummers situated at the front of the Kop would be a vast improvement over the jaded Kop Band who I

am afraid seem to have lost the ability,which they did seem to have in their earlier days, to encourage the crowd and lead the chants or singing.

OUT WITH THE BAND !! I DEMAND TWO DRUMMERS !!

All the best atmospheres in Europe are from crowds supported by 1 or 2 drums. This is what we need, no trumpets.

I'm all for a singing section like Palace and Derby have created but please don't go down the route they have done with the songs that just consists of "nana nana nana nana na" and "ooohhhhhh". Awful stuff, stick to proper football chants like we have now.

post-16047-0-99075100-1424869323_thumb.p

If you want to get rid of the band..its easy...
Next home game..EVERYBODY turns up with a musical instrument...Tuba..Piccollo..pink flute..Banjo, Hammond Organ...
The Steward says...
"Sorry mate you can't come in here wiv that"..
you reply..
"They do"..
and point at Hemminghams trumpet..
Now the steward is in a quandary...cos of Hemminghams trumpet..and the bloke wiv the baby grand piano behind you thats shoutin' "Whats the hold up"..
So you strum on yer banjo while the steward runs to find Mr Meadows who's now in charge of musical direction cos no f.oo.ker kicks anyones head in anymore...
Mr Meadows arrives to find a load of nutters pretendin' to be the Halle Orchestra outside gate 5 on Penistone..and can't really figure out how to deal wiv it..So I then suggest a play off..and strum the first couple of bars from "Duellin' Banjos..."...
Now I know..cos I'm musical..that it sounds f..ookin' ridiculous..If you try and play Duellin' Banjos on a Tuba..or a trumpet..So Hemminghams out in the first round...I launch into George Formbys "When I;m cleanin' windows"..in a Purple haze of frantic fingers..and the drummer f..ooks off...
So you are then left wiv Fishcake and a couple of Contraltos..Job done...

Seems like a decent performance and a few goals and the atmosphere sorts its self out.

It was pretty good at times on the Kop yesterday. If we start playing well regularly at home then there will be no need for a singing section.

Guest George Smith

Been to see the club today about 'THE ATMOSPHERE AT S6 and not only are the club behind this but Mr Chansiri is as well. He wants the fans to have a real match day experience at Hillsborough. They've spoken at board level about a section on the The East Bank where anyone who wants to 'Sing there hearts out for the lads' can go with like minded people and really create an atmosphere at S6. They do have to run it by the safety advisory group of course but are very hopeful it will happen and that it will be for this season. The club has promised to get back to us in 3 or 4 weeks and if/when they get the go ahead (looks a dead cert though) they will promote it to the fan base and fans can buy a ticket in that area knowing it will be full of like minded fans who 'win lose or draw ' will get behind the team for 90 mins (a real match day experience' like it used to be on the old kop with all the singers getting together in one place instead of being spread out in different parts of the kop) It would unfair for me to say exactly where it will be as there maybe season ticket holders in that area. Of course getting this set up is maybe the easy bit. The true test will be match day and will you the fans back it ?

Been to see the club today about 'THE ATMOSPHERE AT S6 and not only are the club behind this but Mr Chansiri is as well. He wants the fans to have a real match day experience at Hillsborough. They've spoken at board level about a section on the The East Bank where anyone who wants to 'Sing there hearts out for the lads' can go with like minded people and really create an atmosphere at S6. They do have to run it by the safety advisory group of course but are very hopeful it will happen and that it will be for this season. The club has promised to get back to us in 3 or 4 weeks and if/when they get the go ahead (looks a dead cert though) they will promote it to the fan base and fans can buy a ticket in that area knowing it will be full of like minded fans who 'win lose or draw ' will get behind the team for 90 mins (a real match day experience' like it used to be on the old kop with all the singers getting together in one place instead of being spread out in different parts of the kop) It would unfair for me to say exactly where it will be as there maybe season ticket holders in that area. Of course getting this set up is maybe the easy bit. The true test will be match day and will you the fans back it ?

Hope it happens, not brought my ST yt :)

Guest George Smith

Great stuff.

Can you say whether it'll be in The Kop or The North Stand and, if on The Kop, whether it is upper or lower.

In fact I'd just say where it would be. Would give ST holder more notice than the club will give.

It'll be on the kop 

Nice one George,hope it works for you now you've put a bit of work in, can only be a good thing,Not scared of change at S6 now are we eh.

Dare you run your song list past Owlstalk tho ? Get ready lad ....... Do you do requests? Can we lose the orchestrated goal celebration, Why the Leeds songs? Why hasn't Lewis Buxton got a song yet? etc etc..

Well done UTO