Wednesday - A Bit Like The Liverpool Of Old?

Ps - I drafted this for Biggsy's Thursday article but he's already written it for a change. Summat to do with a pending League Cup win. lol

I wondered why MrFarrell had been shtum for a while, can we expect him to tweet about it as well?

I wondered why MrFarrell had been shtum for a while, can we expect him to tweet about it as well?

Possibly, I know Mr F is a big fan of Biggsy?

He used to make his tea and coffee when Mr F was the office junior at the Telegraph and Star Offices before becoming a freelance glamour model photographer

I have a lovely , true , story of Ray "Clemy" and Bob Paisley. I was working for a company who were sponsoring Liverpool when Clemy had his Testimonial year. He had gathered most of the Liverpool and Manchester players at Hoylake for a game.

As we parked up ,Ray was in the next space getting his clubs out of his car.  Just then , Bob's Jag. pulled up and out steps the big man. "You can put them back, says Bob." Why is that boss, says Ray. "we have an international tommorow and that course is full of rabbit holes" says Bob. so Ray puts them back and as the Jag pulls away he sticks 2 fingers up and gets them out again.

Can't remember who won, but Stan Boardman won a set of clubs for a flooky nearest the pin .  .Great funny day.

Liverpudlians saved my sons life, and bent over backwards to help him during his recovery. Salt of the earth.

Just saying.

Was at the "MILK CUP" final at wembley when Everton and Liverpool fans were travelling down in the same cars together.

Can't see Owls and pigs doing that.      jus sayin

I remember them seeing their team in the 80s live for the first time and it was awesome, they were so quick.  It was fabulous to watch, on a different level with the speed and directness of their play.  I suppose it was a preview of what football has now become.  We are nothing like them.

Tommy Lawrence was Liverpool Keeper first time I saw Ray Clemmence play, He was Fullback for Skegness Town in the Midland League.

Tommy Lawrence was far from a great keeper but the defence of that Liverpool side of Bill Shankley they didn't need a keeper. But having said that he displaced former Arsenal keeper Jim Furnell who wasn't too bad.

To those saying Liverpool was built on the Pools empire...You are wrong, true it helped a little but in the main the first division was, in the main, debt free. The 1960 season saw Liverpool well beaten into third place by our dear friends the grunters. We were way ahead of Liverpool at the time bidding for players such as Joe Baker.

Shankly was already building with the aid of good but ageing players such as Jimmy Melia, Gordon Milne, Johnny Morrisey and the astute Billy Liddel. Youngsters such as Ian Callaghan and Roger Hunt were already in the fold. Others were to follow at no great cost full back Chris Lawler, Centre half Ron Yates and flying winger Peter Thompson.

Two things happened in Liverpool in the early 60's Everton were replaced as the top team in the City and Liverpool was the centre of a music revolution which had to be seen to be believed. Liverpool was transformed from an undesirable City Port into a semi fashionable hub and every aspect of the City milked it for all it was worth; Everton and Liverpool FC were both beneficiaries. We kids were in awe of Real Madrids feats but little did we know that Liverpool, having taken Evertons City crown were soon to replace Real Madrid as kings of Europe and all under the guidance of Bill Shankley, for me the greatest manager in my life time, what a shame that George Best didn't hang around a little when he stepped off the boat, the outcome would have been so different.