Wednesday - A Bit Like The Liverpool Of Old?

Can anyone remember the great Liverpool teams of the 70s and 80s?

I can't help but think that Wednesday are heading along similar lines. A long way off maybe, but heading in that direction nontheless. Building a legacy for generations to come. Er, possibly.

First of all, we have our very own Bob Paisley in Stuart Gray, a very unassuming and likeable man, tactically aware, well liked by his players, with them prepared to run through brick walls for him. He's taken players from lesser teams, and got the best out of them, got them playing as a very effective team, getting them to look like future internationals. I am thinking here of players like Lees and May. Liverpool did this with players like Keegan and Ray Clemence.

Secondly, we're keeping our football simple, passing it about, moving into space, getting the ball back, then repeating, trying to keep possession, and to frustrate the opposition when required. There is an intelligence and composure to our play akin to the old Liverpool way of playing, with confidence, and swagger, to boot.

No single outstanding stars either, just a bloody good side and work ethic, players playing for their manager, the fans, and each other, rather than for themselves. They get it. It's a team game, and it's the whole of the constituent parts that matters. Their spirit is there to see, and to enjoy, a real uplifting and refreshing feeling for us fans after years of dull, dour, football.

Then there's us, the fans. Fanatical, knowledgeable, and possessing the same level of undying loyalty to our team, a real credit to the club.

So, as we also develop a style of play replicated throughout the whole club infrastructure, from youth teams through to the first team, developing the Wednesday style of football, I can't help but think that there's a hint of the old Liverpool about us.

Here's hoping we can hold on to Gray like Liverpool held on to their managers, for years on end, and also that we can develop a way of producing successors from within, conveyor belt fashion, like the old Liverpool.

Or perhaps I've just got an overactive imagination?

Ps - I drafted this for Biggsy's Thursday article but he's already written it for a change. Summat to do with a pending League Cup win. lol

I agree with all you say about SG but you have a very vivid imagination (nowt wrong with that). I think we have endured so much dross that we see a team who is actually playing football, as something wondrous.

Having said that, we are definitely a hugely improved team and can only get better.

Couple of questions Simon, which one is our Ray Clemence, Lees or May?

Also since when has our fan base (with a few exceptions) been knowledgeable?

Oh and didn't Bill Shankly have something to do with it? :biggrin:

P.S. is it your birthday only you seem to have had a few?

Edited by Utah Owl

Liverpool of 60's, 70's & 80's were funded by the wealth generated by the Pools companies. Its no co-incidence that when the National Lottery started in the early 90's Liverpool's dominance ended. When Wednesday become wealthy like that then we will have a chance......until then we will rattle around the championship hoping to get lucky like Burnley did.

roger it I'm buying into it!!! I'll take some optimism after 15 years of pessimism!!

I would love this to happen, we just need a chairman to help us out now and to be honest I want it to be MM more than anyone!

That's the spirit Mozzy.

We've officially moved on from being simply massive, to being the next multiple winning European Champions.