The Academy

Guest Deleted member

He has 12 months left to decide though utd are trying to push him through the age groups in order to keep him away from other clubs! They are pushing him as a U9 next season though he will be U8. He has only ever trained with the U8s once.

It's the summer now and he seems happy at utd, I've advised him he should use next year to re-visit all clubs next season before commiting to one as I realise how big a decision it could be for him. I certainly want him to give it another go and he is a big Wednesday fan. But ultimately it is his decision and when young lads make friends and feel comfortable it's hard to convince them to try something else, specially when their previous memories aren't positive ones.

In short, I'm working on it! With him and his mum(the gaffer) lol

Selecting the right academy is a very important decision.

I know a lot of parents who excitedly sign the registration forms without knowing the full ins and out of what they're commiting themselves and their son to.

There are many ups and downs with regard to player selection as the kids progress through the age groups. The coaches change each year and so do the opinions regarding their ability.

Players that were the stars at U9's and got most game time suddenly spend more time being subbed, the parents become unhappy and start to question whether their son has a future at the academy.

The problem is you can't just take your son out and look for another academy if you feel things aren't going well, the club holds the registration and can keep it till the age of 18 if they feel he has the potential to develop.

The same applies if you move away from the area. We had a family at the my son's academy who were relocating to Northumberland and asked for his registration to be terminated so he could attend trials at NUFC's or SFC's academy, the club refused and would only agree if compensation would be paid subject to a succesful trial period. Niether club would agree to this at such an early age. the lads now in limbo.

These things need explaining properly before any decision is taken by star struck parents.

Guest Deleted member

Selecting the right academy is a very important decision.

I know a lot of parents who excitedly sign the registration forms without knowing the full ins and out of what they're commiting themselves and their son to.

There are many ups and downs with regard to player selection as the kids progress through the age groups. The coaches change each year and so do the opinions regarding their ability.

Players that were the stars at U9's and got most game time suddenly spend more time being subbed, the parents become unhappy and start to question whether their son has a future at the academy.

The problem is you can't just take your son out and look for another academy if you feel things aren't going well, the club holds the registration and can keep it till the age of 18 if they feel he has the potential to develop.

The same applies if you move away from the area. We had a family at the my son's academy who were relocating to Northumberland and asked for his registration to be terminated so he could attend trials at NUFC's or SFC's academy, the club refused and would only agree if compensation would be paid subject to a succesful trial period. Niether club would agree to this at such an early age. the lads now in limbo.

These things need explaining properly before any decision is taken by star struck parents.

Im not sure the losing club is allowed to do that - Im sure the problem is down to NUFC or SFC not being prepared to pay the compensation.

I guess a lot depends on his age and how long he has been at the current academy

Im not sure the losing club is allowed to do that - Im sure the problem is down to NUFC or SFC not being prepared to pay the compensation.

I guess a lot depends on his age and how long he has been at the current academy

The losing club can do what they want. They have spent money investing in his development as a footballer and so want compensation for that. The boy could go back to Sunday league football but the losing club will retain his registration until he reaches an age where they either offer him a contract or officially release him otherwise every kid who wanted to go to another club could just make up some reason why they couldnt attend training and then move on without compensation. The likes of Man City, Man Utd & Everton would love that.

He'll be twelve now, not many clubs pay compensation for an under thirteen.

Most Championship clubs don't pay fees for seasoned professionals, never mind kids.

I think they call it a YD10, release with compensation rights owing. Any club that takes him on will need to pay up.

Guest Deleted member

The losing club can do what they want. They have spent money investing in his development as a footballer and so want compensation for that. The boy could go back to Sunday league football but the losing club will retain his registration until he reaches an age where they either offer him a contract or officially release him otherwise every kid who wanted to go to another club could just make up some reason why they couldnt attend training and then move on without compensation. The likes of Man City, Man Utd & Everton would love that.

As I understood it today - if I'm Sheffield Uniteds Academy Coach and I watch a Wednesday player and want him to come and play for me - I have to pay the compensation and hes my player.

Without the compo Wednesday dont have to release my registration. With compo they have no choice

Guest Deleted member

yes thats what I meant - I know kids can move mid season because there is a pro rata element to the compensation packages

All the academy parents and players were given a presentation by the academy staff last night

Anyone who was there will tell you how informative and proffestional it was

Also to add to that the new training kits look superb

That's right grandad

What he's saying is Newcastle or Sunderland won't pay the fee so he can't play academy football

to be fair, I don't think it even it got to stage of discussing a fee.

As soon as clubs are informed of the situation they back off.

Edited by just visiting

I was the original thread poster grandad

5/6 other clubs contacted us direct and one on a weekly basis for 12 months! Wednesday did go through the correct procedure ( I didn't know of this because of how other clubs have acted) but my experience won't be a isolated one and must mean we miss out on players.

There is no procedure to go through at 7/8 - he can play with a different pro club every day of the week

As I understood it today - if I'm Sheffield Uniteds Academy Coach and I watch a Wednesday player and want him to come and play for me - I have to pay the compensation and hes my player.

Without the compo Wednesday dont have to release my registration. With compo they have no choice

This is correct

Edited by scram

All the academy parents and players were given a presentation by the academy staff last night

Anyone who was there will tell you how informative and proffestional it was

Also to add to that the new training kits look superb

I think you'd have made an illegal approach.

You have to wait for the end of season precedure I think before another academy can be approached regarding the kids availablity.

Wrong

A club can sign a player at any time - they just have to agree the fee with the host club

If they offer the full standard tariff then there's nothing the host club can do to stop the player leaving

Thanks Nigel. As you know, I was very cynical about the academy after reading brownowl91's OP in the other thread and receiving information about the academy from parents of children that have visited. My cynicism has been removed somewhat after reading the summaries in this thread that you posted.

Did Dean mention to you what the sanctions were for "tapping up"? The reason I ask is that if there is little or no sanction then we may as well "tap up" to prevent us being at a disadvantage to clubs with lesser scruples.