The Academy

Guest Deleted member

Excellent report, thanks.  Some of our fans constantly moan about MM, no investment, blah blah blah but they know nothing.  Our club was at rock bottom and everything behind the scenes needed investment and change to build a sustainable viable club. If we can produce a Lavery (I know he wasn't here from day one) or Palmer every season the system will be working.

Guest Deleted member

The Lavery thing has to go down as a benefit of the Academy system - he was released by an Academy, we knew about him, signed him, developed him and now he is definitely worth a fee. How is that anything other than a massive tick in a box for our development of youth?

Its a pity we weren't successful in selling Middlewood Road and moving up to the old Westfield School site. There is plenty of room to cater for everyone up there.

Grandad did Dean indicate if they had any plans for Middlewood Road and would there be a tie up between the proposed Community Development ie would the academy use it during the week?

Guest Deleted member

Dean did say that the plans for Middlewood Rd were drawn up with Dave Jones - for the residential development - but for now things like the dome will stay and the artificial pitches won't be relaid as substantial investment is needed.

Reading between the lines I'm guessing that these exercises have been done to demonstrate the potential to an investor - as a medium term plan. But thats just me reading between the lines

I was the original thread poster grandad

5/6 other clubs contacted us direct and one on a weekly basis for 12 months! Wednesday did go through the correct procedure ( I didn't know of this because of how other clubs have acted) but my experience won't be a isolated one and must mean we miss out on players.

This combined with my disappointment of the coaching standards I had seen two years previous had led me too feel disillusioned with the academy.

Things were explained to me and I retracted on certain points I had made and appoligised. I can see that a lot of hard work is being done but do think 7-9 is important recruitment age as pointed out earlier and maybe we need to look at how we can make a better impression at that age, as I'm assured we are.

The 2 bad experiences we had I think are isolated and have been explained to me, I'm sure people have experienced similar and much worse at other clubs.

Guest Deleted member

I was the original thread poster grandad

5/6 other clubs contacted us direct and one on a weekly basis for 12 months! Wednesday did go through the correct procedure ( I didn't know of this because of how other clubs have acted) but my experience won't be a isolated one and must mean we miss out on players.

This combined with my disappointment of the coaching standards I had seen two years previous had led me too feel disillusioned with the academy.

Things were explained to me and I retracted on certain points I had made and appoligised. I can see that a lot of hard work is being done but do think 7-9 is important recruitment age as pointed out earlier and maybe we need to look at how we can make a better impression at that age, as I'm assured we are.

The 2 bad experiences we had I think are isolated and have been explained to me, I'm sure people have experienced similar and much worse at other clubs.

Ah thanks for pointing that out - I think you should go down and have a look - not necessarily with a view to moving your lad - but just to see what you think now.

If it was me - and my lad was good enough - I'd be there like a shot. I couldn't bear to see my kid playing in a red and white shirt

He has 12 months left to decide though utd are trying to push him through the age groups in order to keep him away from other clubs! They are pushing him as a U9 next season though he will be U8. He has only ever trained with the U8s once.

It's the summer now and he seems happy at utd, I've advised him he should use next year to re-visit all clubs next season before commiting to one as I realise how big a decision it could be for him. I certainly want him to give it another go and he is a big Wednesday fan. But ultimately it is his decision and when young lads make friends and feel comfortable it's hard to convince them to try something else, specially when their previous memories aren't positive ones.

In short, I'm working on it! With him and his mum(the gaffer) lol

Guest Deleted member

Hes 8. Kids shouldn't be given choices at 8. Tell him its that or you'll write him out of your will. (You might have to explain the will thing to him first)

And in all seriousness - parents know whats best for a kid at 8

Hes 8. Kids shouldn't be given choices at 8. Tell him its that or you'll write him out of your will. (You might have to explain the will thing to him first)

And in all seriousness - parents know whats best for a kid at 8

lol

Like I said his mum (the gaffer) has no allegiance to any club and has been given a better impression from all the other clubs. This combined on our philosophy of letting him go where he enjoys means I have my work cut out over the summer months.

A lot can happen in 12 months! Especially in a 7 year olds world.

I was involved in Jnr football as a coach and manager for 14 years, and loved every minute of it, and this is the type of thing I was banging on about through out the late 1980s and Nineties.

I based my coaching methods on the euruopean model of Ajax and Bayern Munich, but my managereial methods on Cloughie and Shanks, and had quite a bit of success within the jnr football of south Yorkshire,Notts and Derbyshire.

If the first team ever set up training headquarters at the old Midland Bank ground at Dore, given how they performed this season, they'd never survive a winter up there. Team I  played for many years ago used to play up there, and I have to say in winter it's one of the coldest places I've ever been. Len Ashurst and Tony Toms would've loved it.

If the first team ever set up training headquarters at the old Midland Bank ground at Dore, given how they performed this season, they'd never survive a winter up there. Team I  played for many years ago used to play up there, and I have to say in winter it's one of the coldest places I've ever been. Len Ashurst and Tony Toms would've loved it.

They could always try smuggling eggs! :biggrin:

I was involved in Jnr football as a coach and manager for 14 years, and loved every minute of it, and this is the type of thing I was banging on about through out the late 1980s and Nineties.

I based my coaching methods on the euruopean model of Ajax and Bayern Munich, but my managereial methods on Cloughie and Shanks, and had quite a bit of success within the jnr football of south Yorkshire,Notts and Derbyshire.

You're not Brian The Blade are you? :ohmy:

lol

Like I said his mum (the gaffer) has no allegiance to any club and has been given a better impression from all the other clubs. This combined on our philosophy of letting him go where he enjoys means I have my work cut out over the summer months.

A lot can happen in 12 months! Especially in a 7 year olds world.

You sound like a pushover mate, grow some balls and tell your missus it's Wednesday or highway, no argument about the academies now having just read what Nigel wrote, it sounded very promising.

Cat 2 same as Utd/Barnsley.

WAWAW.