When Michael Prendergast (RIP) scores a goal & Southend 1976

Today we remember the great Mick Prendergast who died this day in 2010, an Owl with the heart of a Lion.  Was there ever an Owl who enjoyed scoring a goal for Wednesday more ?

mickp22_zps671bb40f.jpg

mickp-1_zps8bb35089.jpg

mickp6_zpsc328597d.jpg

His career started in the Wednesday Youth team in 1966 with his first team debut on  9th April 1969
and final game on  7th March 1978 by which time he had scored 59 goals in 206 games.

Arguably his most important goal was also scored on a Thursday night this very day in 1976 when staring the abyss of the 4th Division,  he inspired a famous Wednesday victory and scored a winner to beat Southend 2-1- the only way was up.

southend_zps4fb58eb0.jpg

southend-1_zps61f5dca9.jpg

'Cos we'll all go mad when Prendergast scores a goal.

KGrHqRrIFI4c5eFwnBSRdtQP0ig60_12_zpsf32d

A few photos of our Mick RIP.

mickp9_zps16e58a54.jpg

prendo_zps112e70cf.jpg

mickp17_zps02c25c3a.jpg

79d012fc-e301-43d9-8638-28284c863ad2_zps

wh2_zps6419c6a5.jpg

mickp4_zps8137120e.jpg

everyone knew prendo in mexboro the pubs there were his favourite watering holes.he never played the the big iám card and would always be happy to talk about what was going on at the club if you said you was going to the away game on Saturday he´d always fix you up with complementary´s if he could .the club did him no favours with his injuries pumping him full of cortison he was crippled by his mid 30s .the club should have given him a free transfer so he could have pocketed the 14k fee they got of Barnsley as they must have known his days were numbered .....he may not have been the greatest player the club as had but no one could have given the club more effort and commitment than him .

Guest intercity0wl

everyone knew prendo in mexboro the pubs there were his favourite watering holes.he never played the the big iám card and would always be happy to talk about what was going on at the club if you said you was going to the away game on Saturday he´d always fix you up with complementary´s if he could .the club did him no favours with his injuries pumping him full of cortison he was crippled by his mid 30s .the club should have given him a free transfer so he could have pocketed the 14k fee they got of Barnsley as they must have known his days were numbered .....he may not have been the greatest player the club as had but no one could have given the club more effort and commitment than him .

Last time i spoke to him was when he was in the Sportsman Mexborough with Bri Turton not long before he passed, he truly was a nice guy, one of the lads, who was amazed that people could still recall in detail some of the games he played in, and goals he scored in.

Played many if not the majority of games with Pain killing injections, when really he should not have, but you could never tell, always gave 100%, and i know for a fact the lack of recognition he got from the club when attending games after his career ended was nothing less than disgusting, but Spike would have not a word said against the club. Top Bloke, Top Owl.

Edited by intercity0wl

I always regarded him as our secret weapon. If he came off the bench, I always thought, this is it, we're gonna win now.

Whether we did or not was inconsequential.

When Michael Prendagast scores a goal

you can stuff your Currie up your hole

and we all go mad when Prendergast scores a goal

....now that's poetry :)

Guest OsiinAlnwick

Good memory!  Better than mine as I was there and completely forgotten that I had seen Swan and Springett play!

MPT_zps6449fa64.jpg

mickp12_zps64e3c391.jpg

Brilliant! Ive never seen that, but then I was only 11. Cheers.

I was at the Southend game too. Strangely can't remember much of it, yet a similar game v Bolton when ken Knighton scored in the last few minutes to save us remains a strong memory.

Loved Prendo and joicey our strikers at the time. Great days even though I was but a kid. Getting old I know but football just seemed so much much better then.

Ps I love threads like these !!!

My first ever game was his testimonial against Leicester City. We lost 2-3 if I remember correctly.

I went to this game, very poor turnout by Wednesday fans, sure attendance was around 3,000.

I spoke to Mick in Sportsman at Mexborough before a game at Barnsley about ten years, he didn't look to well but was quite cheerful.