Official Transfer Rumours MegaThread 2014-2015

I'm starting to think we won't actually be spending any money.

Looking most likely - I think a longer term view is the way to go thought. SG is on probation as far the new regime is concerned. I hope he comes through as he has a terrific team spirt going but he's not going to be trusted with a lot of dough until people are feeling fully confident with him.

Guest JonTheOwl66

One thing that never ceases to annoy me about this club is the reluctance to sign PROVEN quality, and decide to take a chance instead.

I understand proven players cost money. But taking punts on players isn't cost effective. How many players have we signed on fee transfers that no feckers has heard of that have actually worked out?

Perhaps in other areas you can get away with it. But up top? We need quality. Not obscure foreign players that almost certainly won't work out.

I was hoping we had progressed past that stage now. But obviously not.

And I have no problem with that. So long as we sign quality free agents and use our funds for competitive wages.

Well, I can see the benefits of not throwing silly money about but the team is crying for some quality players in several positions and obviously it's tricky to secure promotion standard players from the free agents list. I feel out of the 2 strikers I think we need, that one of them must be a proven goalscorer at this level and as we all know they cost the dollar. I am a realistic fan all of the time and could see we weren't going to be chucking millions at it but, albeit maybe a little prematurely, I am feeling a little disappointed with how things are going currently. Hopefully, once the takeover is officially ratified we will be doing some business which announces ourselves as a threat to other Play - Off contenders. 

One thing that never ceases to annoy me about this club is the reluctance to sign PROVEN quality, and decide to take a chance instead.

I understand proven players cost money. But taking punts on players isn't cost effective. How many players have we signed on fee transfers that no feckers has heard of that have actually worked out?

Perhaps in other areas you can get away with it. But up top? We need quality. Not obscure foreign players that almost certainly won't work out.

I was hoping we had progressed past that stage now. But obviously not.

This, I think that largely we have been unable to sign this 'proven' quality that the fans have been screaming for for years due to lack of funds, however now you'd think that we can finally get some in. I really feel strongly about this and feel that now we must finally push on at this level by signing a striker or two and a midfielder who have proven quality as being one of the better players in this league. Otherwise we will not be anywhere near again next season, it sounds pessimistic and negative but it's almost the truth. I know there's a month left before the season starts and obviously 2 months until the end of the window so I'm sure the club will make the right steps to try and sign this sort of quality. Well, I hope because that's what we need if we are actually to be taken seriously for once. 

Guest JonTheOwl66

Well, I can see the benefits of not throwing silly money about but the team is crying for some quality players in several positions and obviously it's tricky to secure promotion standard players from the free agents list. I feel out of the 2 strikers I think we need, that one of them must be a proven goalscorer at this level and as we all know they cost the dollar. I am a realistic fan all of the time and could see we weren't going to be chucking millions at it but, albeit maybe a little prematurely, I am feeling a little disappointed with how things are going currently. Hopefully, once the takeover is officially ratified we will be doing some business which announces ourselves as a threat to other Play - Off contenders.

Indeed. Westwood and Hutch are two good signings but hardly inspiring are they?

I've been banging on for some time now how THIS summer is the one to really get some quality in. We released a ton of players, freed up a great deal of wages and now have the opportunity to spend these wages on quality rather than just squad fillers.

For example, up front we've got Madine and Nuhiu. As I've said I think Maxine will be superb this year, but we need at least two more strikers. Odds are we will sign two free transfers from abroad for these positions...

Then half way through the season we'll probably realise we are seriously lacking up top so bring in an expensive loanee. If we did the right preparation in the summer we wouldnt have these problems.

In defence, there's no need to spend a bomb. Same with central midfield. Generally quality attacking players cost a bit and thats where fees need to be spent.

But we won't. We'll wee wee tail around with more garbage like Nuhiu and expect to get away with it.

Just to clarify, I agree. I don't have a problem with not spending on transfer fees if the players we need are available on frees. If the players we need require a fee to be paid, then we should have the resources now to do that. My point was simply that a fee doesn't necessarily mean quality. Over to you Stu. 

Edited by themaskedowl