If you could choose any two central defenders...

Guest Distraught!

Des Walker & Viv Anderson

Hands down the best two we've ever had and would have worked very well together.

Would be our pairing now if they were a few years younger.

What, like about 35 years younger.  :biggrin:

What Anderson did at Hillsbrough was remarkable.

Rons conversation of a 35 year old right back to centre half was a master stroke.

To Captain a club to a cup final at 38 years of age just shows what great condition he was in, what great reading of the game he had.

His timing in his headers was superb. His head was like a magnet to the ball in both penalty boxes.

The irony is who knows what sort of centre half he could have been if he had been converted there in his mid 20's rather than late thirties.

He might have been one of the best in the game and I suspect could have had an even longer International career as Stevens if I remember rightly had taken the right back birth.

Pearson and Walker for me too.

They were actually at the club at the same time for a month or so too, but only played a few games together.

I remember at the time not being too disappointed about Pearson leaving; he'd broken his leg the season before and didn't look the same player when he came back in. I also thought his lack of pace was a major problem, and was chuffed to bits when we brought in Walker. Looking back I think it was perhaps a mistake to sell him though. He'd only just turned 30, after all, and did go on to have a few good years at Middlesbrough. Andy Pearce was essentially his replacement too.

Didn't he just run it off??? :tango:

Our most distinguished centre backs of all time have probably been Tommy Crawshaw and Des Walker?

We haven't had a colossal centre back for years, not since Des Walker. 

Probably the closest we've had to one in the past 10 or so years is Anthony Gardener?

Des Walker was the best ever centre-back I've seen play for Sheffield Wednesday during my lifetime.

The most notable centre-backs to have played for us that I can think of were: Tommy Crawshaw; Tony Leach, Walter Millership (the original converted centre-forward/centre-half), Peter Swan, Vic Mobley, Gerry Young, Mick Lyons, Mark Smith, Nigel Pearson, Viv Anderson and Des Walker.

However the central defensive partnership that I'd like to have seen the most out of all of our all time central defenders would be Vic Mobley and Des Walker.

They'd have been a formidable and colossal partnership to say the least.

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

Quite a few mentions for Lyons.

Certainly a warrier. Tough as a tree and with bravery rarely seen.

A player who'd stick his head in amongst the flying boots.

There can have been few tougher players at S6 over the years.

He was so hard I suspect had he not made it as a pro he could have carved out an alternative career as a drill bit.

Quite a few mentions for Lyons.

Certainly a warrier. Tough as a tree and with bravery rarely seen.

A player who'd stick his head in amongst the flying boots.

There can have been few tougher players at S6 over the years.

He was so hard I suspect had he not made it as a pro he could have carved out an alternative career as a drill bit.

That's true. Although from what I've seen of the likes of Gerry Young, Vic Mobley and Don Megson they looked formidable and as tough as they come.

Nige and Des for me.

Combination of power , pace and strength in the air.

Just too young to have seen Lyons but love the description !! :biggrin:

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Kivo, with his selection of Crawshaw and Swan, can't possibly have a clue what he's talking about. He sounds a bit like Mansfield Mick, basing his opinion on the opinion of others. It's surely got to be based on people you've

actually seen play. Swanny actually retired from football at least seven or eight years before Kivo was born.