If you could choose any two central defenders...

And Crawshaw despite living to 87 died in 1960, playing all his football before the 1st World War.

I'm not sure you can seriously compare footballers of that era to footballers in modern times. At most you can compare their achievements within the sport, but that's all, surely.

Quite a few mentions for Lyons.

Certainly a warrier. Tough as a tree and with bravery rarely seen.

A player who'd stick his head in amongst the flying boots.

There can have been few tougher players at S6 over the years.

He was so hard I suspect had he not made it as a pro he could have carved out an alternative career as a drill bit.

Not the sort of bloke you would want to upset. 

Kivo, with his selection of Crawshaw and Swan, can't possibly have a clue what he's talking about. He sounds a bit like Mansfield Mick, basing his opinion on the opinion of others. It's surely got to be based on people you've

actually seen play. Swanny actually retired from football at least seven or eight years before Kivo was born.

I never saw Duncan Edwards or stan matthews but they would get into englands best ever eleven some on here wouldn't have seen hirsty but he´d get in everyones Wednesday side .......the post said chose ANY 2 centre backs and kivo choice is certainly valid.

I never saw Duncan Edwards or stan matthews but they would get into englands best ever eleven some on here wouldn't have seen hirsty but he´d get in everyones Wednesday side .......the post said chose ANY 2 centre backs and kivo choice is certainly valid.

Valid, but scarcely meaningful.

I doubt there's anyone alive that could remember watching Crawshaw play, and there certainly isn't any footage of him playing, so there's only match reports; like I say, it's barely without meaning to pick such a player, other than to show off the fact you know he existed.

Valid, but scarcely meaningful.

I doubt there's anyone alive that could remember watching Crawshaw play, and there certainly isn't any footage of him playing, so there's only match reports; like I say, it's barely without meaning to pick such a player, other than to show off the fact you know he existed.

you don't have to see them to know they are great players there records and the thing s they won tells you they were giants of there time ......anyone who saw swan play 50 years ago will have included him but according to you because you havnt seen him he´s not meaningful .whats the point of the great history of shefffield Wednesday if we all choose to ignore it.

Can it be at their peak? Viv Anderson and Des Walker then, easily the best international class CB's that have played for us in my time following Wednesday.

Viv Anderson was primarily a right full back, some center half he made i must admit though,

but its Walker and Lyons for me

Edited by scarboro-owl

you don't have to see them to know they are great players there records and the thing s they won tells you they were giants of there time ......anyone who saw swan play 50 years ago will have included him but according to you because you havnt seen him he´s not meaningful .whats the point of the great history of shefffield Wednesday if we all choose to ignore it.

The question implicitly requires you to compare the merits of players - how can you compare the merits of a player you have seen with a player you've never seen? How can you decide that a player you've only read about is better (or worse) than a player you've actually seen many times (as is the case with Walker and Pearson)?

Interesting debate here Gentlemen, and one that leads us onto a wider point.

If you asked a generation of 'young un's to name their England Xi most of them would be from the last ten years.

Ask a wider base and you'd probably see more older players making up the numbers like Moore, Wilson, etc.

But if you did a complete cross section you'd probably find that Finney, Edawards and Mathews were in even though there are few people who have actually ever seen them still alive.

Interesting debate here Gentlemen, and one that leads us onto a wider point.

If you asked a generation of 'young un's to name their England Xi most of them would be from the last ten years.

Ask a wider base and you'd probably see more older players making up the numbers like Moore, Wilson, etc.

But if you did a complete cross section you'd probably find that Finney, Edawards and Mathews were in even though there are few people who have actually ever seen them still alive.

It's an interesting point. If I was asked who was to be in my England XI I would go no further back than Italia 90 as that's the first world cup I vividly remember (I was 9). If I was asked who my greatest ever Wednesday players were they would probably all come from the period 89-97 as I don't really remember any before that. But what with the advent of YouTube it's easier to see players, particularly international players, from before your lifetime, and therefore figure them into your thinking. Having said that, even that only really stretches back to early tv footage from the fifties so anyone throwing out names from before the war surely can't have much to go on.

To dismiss the pre-war Wednesday is to dismiss a large part of our history. Which I find offensive to our club's long history and to the great servants of our club to have wore our famous blue and white stripes with pride during that time. So what if someone hasn't seen so and so player perform live during their lifetime. Just because many people may not have seen the likes of Stanley Matthews; Alfredo di Stefano, Eusebio, Pele, Bobby Charlton, Ron Springett, etc it doesn't mean that those players should be written out of history, they should be remembered has should many of the Wednesday greats who wore the shirt with pride over the years regardless of whether we witnessed them at their pomp during our lifetime or not.

Football didn't start when the Premier League was formed. Football had long existed way before any of us were born, we should be proud of our history and our former greats, remember them to inspire our current team and future generations of Wednesdayites and future Wednesday greats.

To dismiss the pre-war Wednesday is to dismiss a large part of our history. Which I find offensive to our club's long history and to the great servants of our club to have wore our famous blue and white stripes with pride during that time. So what if someone hasn't seen so and so player perform live during their lifetime. Just because many people may not have seen the likes of Stanley Matthews; Alfredo di Stefano, Eusebio, Pele, Bobby Charlton, Ron Springett, etc it doesn't mean that those players should be written out of history, they should be remembered has should many of the Wednesday greats who wore the shirt with pride over the years regardless of whether we witnessed them at their pomp during our lifetime or not.

Football didn't start when the Premier League was formed. Football had long existed way before any of us were born, we should be proud of our history and our former greats, remember them to inspire our current team and future generations of Wednesdayites and future Wednesday greats.

spot on mate .....the game is evolving all the time but a great player is a great no matter what era he played in .the game today is a different animal from say 35 years ago when waddle started his career but would be a foolish man who said he couldn't play in todays modern game .

Who are you arguing against?

I'm not dismissing it, I'm saying that it's very unlikely that anyone on here can rate these players from personal experience. Why is that offensive?

Only remember Swann as a kid first time around...From what ive seen Walker and Pearson although I reckon Ian Knight would have pushed for it had it not been for that bloody horror tackle on him...

I don't think I'm being overly harsh when I say that Bennett should have been shot for that 'tackle'.