Antonio , Buxton .

Guest Sheff Owl

Listening to Antonio then on RS i get the feeling he could be back sooner than we think.

He seemed to stop himself during the interview as to not say to much.

I think it would be good for Antonio to play in a Wednesday team that's playing with some confidence. Obviously our resurgence might have hit the buffers by the time he returns, but it must have been a while since he has played in a team on a roll. At times I've felt Antonio has been the focus of our success or failure and I think he needs the pressure taken off so he can relax and express himself on the pitch.

I'll reiterate my opinion on Antonio - he encourages a far too one dimensional style of play. It's long ball for him to chase past the fullback.

Our football improves with him out the team. He needs to add more to his game than just pace to oust Maghoma + Maguire currently.

I think that is unfair. The style of the team last season was set by the manager not by Antonio

He decided to play hoofball and ask speed merchants to chase it.

Antonio is not a great footballer but we missed him when he was injured and it appeared we brought him back too soon.

A fit Antonio, playing like he did when he first joined us would have opened up the Barnsley back 4 when our passing football almost failed.

Antonio is one of our best wingers, hands down.  Him, Kirkland and Buxton were key to our survival last season.  Antonio carried us at times and was our top scorer and assist maker for a reason.

I think Gray will definitely get the best out of him, with a team that is willing to fight for each other.

We could also do with having Buxton back in the squad to improve competition and give us more options and flexibility at the back.  

When antonio gets back, will Maguire be put up front?

That's what I'm expecting to happen, depending on people's form in various positions. Antonio, as people have said, hasn't played under Gray. But was still about our best player both last season and the season before and still has joint most assists of any player this season (even if that is just 3!)  In a resurgent, confident, flowing side I think Antonio would come back with a bang and show all the potential he showed in League One.

Listening to Antonio then on RS i get the feeling he could be back sooner than we think.

He seemed to stop himself during the interview as to not say to much.

Also picked up on this, it wouldn't surprise me if was ok for selection against Reading.

Really hope not, for the same reason I wouldn't want to see Antonio play up front

He's not a striker

Trouble is we aren't exactly blessed with options

We bought him as a striker, he scores as many goals as he gets crosses in... Certainly not suggesting he's a poacher, but could play a bit deeper.

Antonio says he expects to be ready for selection in the next week or two. Wisely they are taking extra pre caution with him this time after rushing him back last time and doing more damage.

We sure could do with him back, if for anything providing cover/depth. Hard to imagine he would step back in and tear sides apart. Also as mentioned by previous posters he needs to adapt to SG tactics. So we probably shouldn't expect the World from him when he does return to the side.

Does anyone else think Antonio might actually be handy playing off the shoulder of Nuihu. The big lump can at least hold the ball up or win it in the air or give the odd good flick on. Still the Arsenal kid would be ahead of him up forward.